• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Turorit
    • Oct 2016
    • Adelaide

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
    Here you go mate...I,m sure this would be good to use..
    Sounds delicious, cheers. I'll handball it to the Mrs....
    Reasonably priced https://www.diffusional.com.au/casti...d-soap-1-litre
    Someone get me a beer, I'm researching soaps Must be covid insanity....
    2013 NW GLX. 285,000km | ARB Deluxe Bar, Boo's bashplates, 4x4 Tough Winch, underbonnet dual battery & db140i isolator, D697 265/70r17, Rhino tracks & vortex bars, DIY rear drawers, Waeco CF40, 60L water bladder, 2.5m awning, Vlad TC mod, Provent 200, TJM Airtec, Uniden UH8060.
    --SOLD--1995 NJ GLS 3.5L Manual. 348,000km 2" Toughdog/EFS suspension, 265/75r16 Toyo Open Country A/T II

Comment

• Bru9
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2014
      • Victoria

I dont understand the mentallity of people that have to use heaps of water for a shower when camping. Women and kids are the worst. When in areas where water is at a premium or not allowed to be tipped why not just use a 2 litre bottle of water with a hole in the cap and wash sparingly. Stand in a round plastic tub. I dont use the baby wipes as they are a huge pollution issue. Simple flannel, proper soap with a little water and your clean. Get the family to be water wise and they may start doing it at home. You need bugger all to wash ya privates, armpits and face (not in that order..haha). Its only normally short term and the first full shower afterwards feels so luxurious.
      I will try to make you understand the mentality...When you have been camping for decades you get sick of camping like a bum. I tend to flat out have no interest in going away without a good setup. Seems to me it's a pissing contest with alot of guys bragging how they can get away with so little. Having said that most wagons can barely carry 60L or more so imo that is absolutley 30-60sec shower territory anyway. 2L of water in a bucket is actually much more wasteful than a shower, even a cheapo canvas bucket is very conservetive.

To wash myself in shower I run the shower for 10secs, then soap up, rinse for 20secs and come further ahead. I get enjoyment in women & kids enjoy themselves, you will find most woman don't like outdoors without a good hot shower & sink... I make bear grills look like a boyscout so yes I can roughen out there more than most would dare, but my system is just made smarter and better than most. People carry stuff imo they don't really need like two spare wheels & onboard compressors etc, I prefer to carry as much water as I can. Alot of guys play around with onboard setups, but what is the misses to do when she is at basecamp while you are off exploring?
      Same deal with electrics, not many can claim to carry ~200AH of lithium, 2kva genny, 900Watts of portable solar, but all that means I can run an old school made in japan ped fan & 75W night light for cooking.

I carry 60L on my wagon for harsh travel & up to 80 for soft travel. When water is scarce you just wash with a damp cloth.

Now on a wagon + camper trailer setup, I can easily carry a total of 300L+ of water and at times 400...Now we are getting into 5min showers for 4people territory.
      2000 NM Exceed Auto V6 3.5

Comment

• Dicko1
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2014
        • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Bru9 View Post
        I will try to make you understand the mentality...When you have been camping for decades you get sick of camping like a bum. I tend to flat out have no interest in going away without a good setup. Seems to me it's a pissing contest with alot of guys bragging how they can get away with so little. Having said that most wagons can barely carry 60L or more so imo that is absolutley 30-60sec shower territory anyway. 2L of water in a bucket is actually much more wasteful than a shower, even a cheapo canvas bucket is very conservetive.

To wash myself in shower I run the shower for 10secs, then soap up, rinse for 20secs and come further ahead. I get enjoyment in women & kids enjoy themselves, you will find most woman don't like outdoors without a good hot shower & sink... I make bear grills look like a boyscout so yes I can roughen out there more than most would dare, but my system is just made smarter and better than most. People carry stuff imo they don't really need like two spare wheels & onboard compressors etc, I prefer to carry as much water as I can. Alot of guys play around with onboard setups, but what is the misses to do when she is at basecamp while you are off exploring?
        Same deal with electrics, not many can claim to carry ~200AH of lithium, 2kva genny, 900Watts of portable solar, but all that means I can run an old school made in japan ped fan & 75W night light for cooking.

I carry 60L on my wagon for harsh travel & up to 80 for soft travel. When water is scarce you just wash with a damp cloth.

Now on a wagon + camper trailer setup, I can easily carry a total of 300L+ of water and at times 400...Now we are getting into 5min showers for 4people territory.

I dont think its a pissing contest at all. I stated that I was amazed at how much some people waste. Heaps of opinions on here...suppose thats why its called a forum. Some we agree with , some we dont. I,ve been camping for decades as well. Spent many years working out remote areas and living out of a work vehicle. Never felt like a bum though. Also used creeks and rivers to wash in as well as for drinking water. I thoroughly enjoyed "rough" camping as I knew one day that I wouldn't be doing it again and would probably become a soft camper like many today. I,ve been in camps where people put a 20 litre drum of water on the fire and this is used for one small child. Naturally another 20 litres is used for another child, then mum, then dad. Then they need to "borrow" over the next couple of days. Naturally an education lesson is given. You like to carry as much as you can...good luck to you. I,ve got the 500amps of batteries, generator, 500 watts of solar 250 litres of water.and enough camping gear to sink a battle ship...if I need it. At the end of the day it also depend on how much water you can spare. I still prefer camping over glamping. I,ve got mates who wont even think of setting up a camp if their wife cant get mobile reception...sheeeeees.
        Last edited by Dicko1; 17-06-20, 09:10 AM.
        Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
          Valued Member
          • Aug 2016
          • Greater Sydney

My father came from NE Tasmania. Born in 1921 he was one of four children. Two boys two girls.

Living on a small property with tank water their bathing system was not something I would like.

They bathed once a week with a rotation system as to who got to use the fresh water.

They had a hip bath. Their mother boiled the water on the wood fired stove.

Comment

• erad
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2015
            • Cooma NSW

My wife is NOT into roughing it whilst camping. One time at Pyramid Gorge, we were camped overnight. She wasn't going to have a shower, but after walking down into the gorge and coming back up, we were both very sweaty and stinky. So I set up an Asian style mandi for us. We had a 5 L bucket of water. I got a small saucepan and filled it from the bucket and boiled it up on the stove. Then I emptied it back into the bucket and proceeded to scoop a panful of warm water and dump it directly over my head. Soap up and repeat the process - very refreshing. I used only about 2 litres of water for the whole wash. My wife then reluctantly did the same, only she had to have the saucepan boiled up twice. To this day, she recalls how refreshing it was. It is the most refreshing way to have a shower. But we still don't bush camp unless absolutely necessary - these days it is ensuites or nothing.... To each his own - I am jealous of those who can go out well away from it all and camp, but probably will never get the chance again.

Comment

• Dicko1
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2014
              • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by erad View Post
              My wife is NOT into roughing it whilst camping. One time at Pyramid Gorge, we were camped overnight. She wasn't going to have a shower, but after walking down into the gorge and coming back up, we were both very sweaty and stinky. So I set up an Asian style mandi for us. We had a 5 L bucket of water. I got a small saucepan and filled it from the bucket and boiled it up on the stove. Then I emptied it back into the bucket and proceeded to scoop a panful of warm water and dump it directly over my head. Soap up and repeat the process - very refreshing. I used only about 2 litres of water for the whole wash. My wife then reluctantly did the same, only she had to have the saucepan boiled up twice. To this day, she recalls how refreshing it was. It is the most refreshing way to have a shower. But we still don't bush camp unless absolutely necessary - these days it is ensuites or nothing.... To each his own - I am jealous of those who can go out well away from it all and camp, but probably will never get the chance again.

They area funny breed. My missus wont go camping again. Fair enough..that now means I get away by myself. Normally I,ll jump in a river...winter or not. As you say...each to their own but I think many nowadays most dont really experience real camping. So much pressure on many camping spots now as well. Showers aren,t an issue...its the pigs that cant dig a hole or cover there dunny paper whilst camping. Cape York looks like a snow field at time thanks to those that haven't the intelligence to shit properly.
              Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• dean
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2007

Nothing like a shower after a few days of nothing or at best a "pommy wash".
                Dean
                NM V6 since August 2000. Cargo Barrier, Satphone, Decent Suspension, Decent Tyres Eg. Any 10 PLY E Load Brand Not Important. Aux Tank, Rola Sports Racks/Basket, Decent Canvas Bag, Quality Esky. A Good Setup For Outback Touring/Desert Crossings.

Comment

• Ian H
                  Valued Member
                  • May 2015
                  • Melbourne

Showers aren,t an issue...its the pigs that cant dig a hole or cover there dunny paper whilst camping. Cape York looks like a snow field at time thanks to those that haven't the intelligence to shit properly.
                  Too right Dicko, maybe they should read this book...

My only problem with it is that it's Version 4. I'm wondering what was wrong with versions 1, 2 and 3 that they had to update it ? I hate to think.
                  2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X