• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • erad
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2015
    • Cooma NSW

I can see nothing wrong with bolting a 380 engine into an NL or NM. As far as I know, the 380 still had a distributor (certainly the 3.5 Magna had), and therefore you have to make up a bracket to hold the camshaft sensor on the left head. Apparently the oil pickup is different on the sedans to the 4WD's so you have to remove the sump and replace with the oriiginal oil system pickup and sump. The orignal intake manifold may also have to be re-used. As long as the old ECU doesn't poop itself trying to keep up with the exrta ariflow, you could use the ECU and its sensors from the old 3.5. Other than those, as far as I know they are virtually the same.

Mal from Mitsbits in Bayswater Vic was fitting a 3.8 into an NM some time back. It may be worth pinging him to see how he went. You can get to him on [email protected] He is a good bloke and I am sure will help you as much as he can.

Comment

• cejnr
      • Dec 2010
      • Cairns

A quick thread search under the Gen 3 forum shows that it is possible to get 3.8ltrs (even 4.0ltrs) under the bonnet of an NM, but it's a lot of work. I'd rather put that effort into a Gen 2

1995 NJ GLS, 3.5 V6, lifted, ARB Bullbar, Ridge Rider 12000lb winch, Lightforce XGT HID's for offroading
      2020 NX GLS with leather, ARB Bullbar, Lightforce XGT HID's, Hulk 9500lb winch, Rhino Racks, Hulk side awning for touring

Comment

• JTM
        • Sep 2016
        • gold coast

Originally posted by erad View Post
        I can see nothing wrong with bolting a 380 engine into an NL or NM. As far as I know, the 380 still had a distributor (certainly the 3.5 Magna had), and therefore you have to make up a bracket to hold the camshaft sensor on the left head. Apparently the oil pickup is different on the sedans to the 4WD's so you have to remove the sump and replace with the oriiginal oil system pickup and sump. The orignal intake manifold may also have to be re-used. As long as the old ECU doesn't poop itself trying to keep up with the exrta ariflow, you could use the ECU and its sensors from the old 3.5. Other than those, as far as I know they are virtually the same.

Mal from Mitsbits in Bayswater Vic was fitting a 3.8 into an NM some time back. It may be worth pinging him to see how he went. You can get to him on [email protected] He is a good bloke and I am sure will help you as much as he can.
        That's interesting, I knew about the oil sump and cam sensor with the NL, I thought the NM and it's ecu was a throw off altogether, as you say mal would be the best person to talk too because if it's much the same swap with the NM then I'd be doing it cejnr.

Comment

• gemster
          Valued Member
          • Aug 2012
          • Gold Coast

Started 'Collecting' Parts for this 380 Conversion into my NL... it is a long list .... Hopefully Santa will be Kind this Year...

Gemster.....
          YES. ITS A MITZY . 97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, TT Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps...
          And a 1999 NL LWB... Called 'Project Covid".. Stock Standard.
          ..Both with No Airbags. We die like real Men

Comment

• bundyjr
            • Sep 2012
            • brisbane

Originally posted by erad View Post

THe 380 doesn't run a distributor. They use direct fire coil pac's that plug straight onto the spark plug

Comment

• Just Cruzin
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2014
              • Pakenham

Originally posted by bundyjr View Post
              THe 380 doesn't run a distributor. They use direct fire coil pac's that plug straight onto the spark plug
              This is correct, and in one of the threads on here someone was mucking around trying to get the "coil on plug" system working on a Paj.
              99 NL Exceed with air in tyres

Comment

• JTM
                • Sep 2016
                • gold coast

Originally posted by gemster View Post
                Started 'Collecting' Parts for this 380 Conversion into my NL... it is a long list .... Hopefully Santa will be Kind this Year...

Gemster.....
                I've been plugging along, I've decided to get new extractors and exhaust as the original was just about rusted out.
                380 is in extractors arrive next week should have it running in 3 weeks or so just can't get any downtime at work, along with the fact I'm a mechanic and I'm sick to the bone coming home and spinning spanners!!!!

Comment

• bundyjr
                  • Sep 2012
                  • brisbane

Originally posted by JTM View Post
                  I've been plugging along, I've decided to get new extractors and exhaust as the original was just about rusted out.
                  380 is in extractors arrive next week should have it running in 3 weeks or so just can't get any downtime at work, along with the fact I'm a mechanic and I'm sick to the bone coming home and spinning spanners!!!!
                  Just out of interest the old paj motor was it distributor ignition system or coil pack.
                  I don't recall seeing a gear drive for a dissy anywhere on the 6g75 I used for my triton conversion.

Comment

• stumagoo
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2014
                    • Perth WA S.O.R

Originally posted by bundyjr View Post
                    Just out of interest the old paj motor was it distributor ignition system or coil pack.
                    I don't recall seeing a gear drive for a dissy anywhere on the 6g75 I used for my triton conversion.
                    NL has 3 coilpacks - as does the DOHC 3.5 the 3.0 12v has a dizzy and the rare 3.0 24v found in some later gen 2's is coil pack from what I have been told
                    1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
                    *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
                    1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• JTM
                      • Sep 2016
                      • gold coast

Originally posted by stumagoo View Post
                      NL has 3 coilpacks - as does the DOHC 3.5 the 3.0 12v has a dizzy and the rare 3.0 24v found in some later gen 2's is coil pack from what I have been told
                      Yep true this, coil pack on my NL, everything absolutely everything just rebolts to the 380 with a couple of mods, there's no gear drive on the 380.

Comment

• gemster
                        Valued Member
                        • Aug 2012
                        • Gold Coast

I know what you mean JTM... I install Air Con and get asked every Week-end' What are you doing this week-end?".... Something you just don't want to do ...

Gemster....
                        YES. ITS A MITZY . 97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, TT Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps...
                        And a 1999 NL LWB... Called 'Project Covid".. Stock Standard.
                        ..Both with No Airbags. We die like real Men

Comment

• thebeandr
                          • Apr 2017
                          • Little Hartley NSW

Started on mine too. Engine out, 6g75 on the stand. I’ve done the oil pickup and sump so far.

Was looking at the filter mount, it has no lines for the banjos for oil cooler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• JTM
                            • Sep 2016
                            • gold coast

[QUOTE=thebeandr;568252]Started on mine too. Engine out, 6g75 on the stand. I’ve done the oil pickup and sump so far.

Sent from my tapatalk

You can get a relocation and cooler kit , go to and from with the new base, plumb it to the original cooler lines then just get a new copper ring to seal the banjo fittings. That way you can put the filter in a handy spot.

Did you tap and die the oil sump, what did you use 6-8mm?

Comment

• thebeandr
                              • Apr 2017
                              • Little Hartley NSW

[QUOTE=JTM;568256]
                              Originally posted by thebeandr View Post
                              Started on mine too. Engine out, 6g75 on the stand. I’ve done the oil pickup and sump so far.

Sent from my tapatalk

You can get a relocation and cooler kit , go to and from with the new base, plumb it to the original cooler lines then just get a new copper ring to seal the banjo fittings. That way you can put the filter in a handy spot.

Did you tap and die the oil sump, what did you use 6-8mm?

6mm x1mm two spots drivers side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Dongskie2
                                • Dec 2016
                                • Manila & Berwick

Question: is the Magna front wheel drive?

Then the oil sump of the Magna engine is slanted a bit?
                                Nothing beats Doing It Yourself.... Tuned 4M40 and 4D56T WIP

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X