Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

Rear shelf and fridge slide build (with pics and costs)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MickyD
    • Dec 2007
    • Aberfoyle Park SA

Rear shelf and fridge slide build (with pics and costs)

Based on the excellent threads here, I have built myself a rear shelf. It was an enjoyable project and I benefited greatly from the other posts on the forum and the advice of members, so I thought I'd give back to the forum by detailing what I did and how much it cost for the benefit of anyone else considering doing likewise. Like anything you do for the first time, you learn things along the way, and reflect on what you would have done differently etc. I'll share some of those thoughts at the end.

I am not aware of another supplier of square aluminium tubing in Adelaide (at least none that were convenient for me to get to when I had the time), so I purchased the majority of my supplies from Bunnings. I thought about buying shelf runners and making my own slide, but decided I was better off buying something ready-made. I got the slide from Dunn & Watson on an ebay sale. It's a reasonable amount wider than my fridge, but I made use of the room by securing a fire extinguisher on the inside of the cage I made to go around the fridge. See the last pics below for that.

SHELF:
    Fridge slide $160.00
    Tee nuts x100 $23.10
    Bondcrete for sealing ply wood $9.00
    Flood anti-mould additive $12.90
    Connect-it corner pieces $44.89
    Connect-it tubing $147.00
    Screws, washers $12.67
    Turnbuckles x4 $16.40
    Bolts (3 boxes x25) $21.29
    Eye bolts x2 $7.40
    17mm ply wood (1200mm x 2400mm) $51.30 (I couldn't get a smaller piece unfortunately, as I only needed 1/3 of it - should have shopped around perhaps...)
    Carpet (0.9m x 2m wide) - cost attributable to the shelf $28.27
    D shackles x2 $2.20
    Contact adhesive $12.13
    Aluminium angle 3m $20.23
    Angle brackets x4 $6.00
    TOTAL $574.78

FRIDGE CAGE:
    Connect-it corner pieces $13.44
    Connect-it tubing $61.84
    Wire rack for cage sides $23.00
    Screws, washers $6.30
    Bolts (3 boxes x25) $2.37
    Carpet (0.9m x 2m wide) - cost attributable to the cage top $3.14
    Contact adhesive $1.35
    Aluminium angle 3m $20.23
    Angle bracket 600mm $3.60
    Angle brackets x4 $6.00
    TOTAL $121.03

(prices current Sep/Oct 2017)

First I drew up a design then created a parts list. Of course, I ended up going back and forth to Bunnings MANY times throughout the build as I realised different things I needed and could return.

I built the frame, and tested it in the car before moving on to the top.

I had Bunnings cut the large sheet of ply into thirds for me, then created a paper template and checked it in the back of the car before drawing it onto the ply then cutting out the shape with a jigsaw.

This pic below shows the frame sitting on the wooden top. You can see that I have attached the bottom horizontal pieces of tubing on the frame (showing at the top on the pic), but that was a mistake as I needed to drill out bolt holes in the frame so needed to remove those pieces.

This shows a closer-up view of the frame (with the horizontal pieces removed) after I had drilled the holes.

The full frame with all the holes drilled:

The wooden top showing the holes drilled:

Tee nuts fitted:
    (The reason I chose the 17mm ply is that was the minimum thickness I could go with for the tee nuts to fit ok)

Test fit:

I painted the wood with a couple of coats of bondcrete with some anti-mould additive (see parts list above) to waterproof it, before using contact adhesive to glue on the carpet.

I skipped forward in the build a bit here without taking more pics. I didn't take any pics of the cage build, but I built it with a combination of regular tubing and lipped tubing, and used a wire shelf rack that I cut to size with my angle grinder and secured to the frame with self-tapping metal screws. I used a spare piece of MDF I had in the shed that I covered with carpet for the top. After taking those pics, I added a solid metal angle bracket to the front top of both sides to provide a lot more rigidity to the frame, as I was concerned about the plastic corners braking with lateral movement of the frame when the top is loaded up with weight. It's very solid now.

All put together:

After carpeting the top, I screwed on a piece of 1mm aluminium angle to protect the front lip of the shelf. I thought that would also provide some extra support for the frame at the front, given there is a plastic joiner there with no leg support underneath. However, even with that metal piece there and the frame bolted to the 17mm ply, the wooden top has bowed a little with the weight I had loaded onto it, so I've bought a 3mm galv steel piece of angle that I'm going to place under the front horizontal tubing to span the join. I haven't done that yet.

Held in place by turnbuckles to the four tie-down points:

After taking the above pics, similar to the cage described above, I added solid metal brackets to two of the edge legs (not the front ones, but the second row back) to provide a more solid frame to avoid the plastic corners breaking from lateral movement when the shelf is loaded up.

We recently tested it out with a trip up Googs Track and it performed flawlessly, other than the slight bow in the middle at the front that I have described above.

Here's a phone pic of the rear loaded up for that trip:

It all bolts in place but is removable in part or in whole, such that I can just have the shelf without the fridge slide or cage, or the shelf with the slide but no cage. The top bolts to the frame once I have the frame in the car (ie cannot install/remove it in one go), and then the cage goes in on top.

Weights:
    Fridge slide 14.1kg
    Shelf, frame and fridge cage 21.3kg
    Total 35.4kg (which is slightly less than the third row of seats that I removed)

In the under-floor area for the trip I had my second battery to run the fridge (I have a 6B&S cable from the isolator under the bonnet through to the under-floor area), my first aid kit, my air compressor, jumper leads and my tool bag, so it was all stuff that didn't need to be accessed frequently but was accessible when needed. I purchased a power distribution box (http://www.australiandirect.com.au/b...dist/KACBV-CUA) that has a volt meter, 12v power socket, dual USB ports and an anderson plug, and that was attached via velcro to the left leg of the shelf frame and was handy at times along the way for things like charging phones etc when stopped at camp and for plugging my air compressor into, and for checking the charge level in the second battery.

Things I learned along the way:
    • Consider where all the holes need to be positioned before you drill them all and position everything - I couldn't really visualise that so just worked it out as I went, but it meant that one of my bolt holes to hold the fridge cage in place is very close to the frame underneath such that I don't have room for a washes on that one. It's not a problem though, but it's just a little more fiddly to get that one done up.
    • Before finalising your design, consider what you're going to put under it (ie how tall and wide it will be). I hadn't thought that specifically ahead of time, and just made it high enough to be able to get stuff in/out of the under-floor part, but in hind-sight perhaps I should have considered the height of what I was going to place under it (eg the plastic storage tub I put my camp kitchen stuff in) to make best use of the space. Also, consider where to put the middle leg. I simply made each side even in width, but in hind-sight I might have been better to make one side a little larger and the other a little smaller - after I had built everything I purchased a heap of different plastic tubs to see what would fit best and one that would have been an ideal size for our gear was about a cm too wide to fit, meaning I had to rule it out as an option. Had I measured that before hand I could have tweaked the design to accommodate it.

I realise this has been a long post, and if you've read the whole thing you've done well! But I wanted to provide some costs and details to assist anyone contemplating doing something similar.

Feel free to ask any questions in the thread, but if it's been dormant for a while, I suggest you shoot me a PM as well to ensure I see your post.
    Last edited by MickyD; 25-10-17, 01:58 PM.
    NT MY10 VRX DiD Auto (charcoal grey) with MMA towbar & nudge bar plus sundry other MMA bits including neoprene seat covers, Lightforce 170 Striker spotties, Milford cargo barrier, Hankook Ventus tyres on 18" OEM alloy rims and 17" BFG A/T KO tyres on 17" OEM steel rims, Redarc TowPro brake controller, DigOptions replacement head unit with reversing camera, full set of Bushskinz bash plates, Bilstein/Dobinson suspension
  • NTBenny
    • May 2017
    • Newcastle

That's some great work there, like it a lot. Thanks for sharing.

Benny.
    Last edited by NTBenny; 21-10-17, 07:20 AM.
    2011 NT Pajero Platinum, DCS 80AH Extreme Battery, Stedi 8.5" LED driving lights, Bushskinz side steps & bash plates, Provent 200, Auto-mate TC lockup, Derale fan forced trans cooler, custom 3inch exhaust, JT intercooler, Bilstein + Lovells 2 inch lift, Airbag Man bags, DBA slotted rotors, braided brake lines, diff+gearbox+transfer breathers, Redarc boost & EGT gauge, Tuned by TME 141rwkw 598nm.

Comment

• Seigried
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2016
      • brisbane

Cool

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Comment

• the dane
        • Oct 2017
        • AU

Would love to have the skills and tools to do this. You should make and sell on gumtree. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

• MickyD
          • Dec 2007
          • Aberfoyle Park SA

Originally posted by NTBenny View Post
          That's some great work there, like it a lot. Thanks for sharing.

Benny.
          Originally posted by Seigried View Post
          Cool
          Thanks!

Originally posted by the dane View Post
          Would love to have the skills and tools to do this. You should make and sell on gumtree. Cheers
          Haha. Thanks! The main tool I used to make it easier was a power mitre saw to quickly and accurately cut the tubing, but you could do it with a hack saw, and then a drill of course. I used a jig saw for the top, but I could have used a hand saw for the relatively small cuts that I did, and it was all covered by carpet so didn't need to look perfect. I wouldn't say I have tremendous handy-man skills, but armed with the information from the forum of previous builds I felt confident and formulated a plan then figured a lot of it out as I went along. I posted a thread in this DIY forum before I started to ask for advice, and the forum was generous enough to help me out with some info, so you could do the same. The connect-it tubing makes it relatively easy too. Give it a go!
          NT MY10 VRX DiD Auto (charcoal grey) with MMA towbar & nudge bar plus sundry other MMA bits including neoprene seat covers, Lightforce 170 Striker spotties, Milford cargo barrier, Hankook Ventus tyres on 18" OEM alloy rims and 17" BFG A/T KO tyres on 17" OEM steel rims, Redarc TowPro brake controller, DigOptions replacement head unit with reversing camera, full set of Bushskinz bash plates, Bilstein/Dobinson suspension

Comment

• KiwiNTPajero
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2014
            • Wellington,New Zealand

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
            Thanks!

Haha. Thanks! The main tool I used to make it easier was a power mitre saw to quickly and accurately cut the tubing, but you could do it with a hack saw, and then a drill of course. I used a jig saw for the top, but I could have used a hand saw for the relatively small cuts that I did, and it was all covered by carpet so didn't need to look perfect. I wouldn't say I have tremendous handy-man skills, but armed with the information from the forum of previous builds I felt confident and formulated a plan then figured a lot of it out as I went along. I posted a thread in this DIY forum before I started to ask for advice, and the forum was generous enough to help me out with some info, so you could do the same. The connect-it tubing makes it relatively easy too. Give it a go!
            Here in NZ Bunnings sell half sheets and 1/4 sheets of ply and mdf.I havent actually seen that square tubing and connectors here though.The only thing that i can think of which may be an improvement is to have an acess through the shelf into the third seat compartment too.
            Really good project though,well done.How many people is that trip for?
            2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
            BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• MickyD
              • Dec 2007
              • Aberfoyle Park SA

Originally posted by KiwiNTPajero View Post
              The only thing that i can think of which may be an improvement is to have an acess through the shelf into the third seat compartment too.
              The reason for having the raised shelf is so I can easily access the third seat compartment, and that's easily done. There were times I had to get out the first aid kit, the tool kit and the air compressor from under there, and I was able to get them easily.
              Originally posted by KiwiNTPajero View Post
              Really good project though,well done.How many people is that trip for?
              Thanks! The trip was for 2 adults and 2 kids.

Comment

• DamienM
                • Jul 2013
                • Penrith

Thanks for sharing, looks great

Comment

• Teamjet
                  • Jun 2015
                  • Sydney

Thanks for the write up. Seems very similar to mine. I'm sure this post will be a great help to fellow Paj owners. Keep them coming!

Comment

• Pushbike
                    • Jun 2017
                    • Sydney

Rear Shelf etc

Hi MickyD,
                    I have built something similar and will post my design etc after further testing. First well done. Also I would suggest using the plastic square tube ends at least, preferably also some ply pads with a screw through the plastic end cap, to protect your carpet.
                    For some reason Bunnings have two bins of these plastic ends, both identical items but one is 1/2 cost of the other.
                    Put locknuts on one side of each turnbuckle else as I have found 60Km of corrugations will vibrate the turnbuckle apart.
                    And another suggestion, from the experience of having a raw plywood tool box. I found that plywood absorbs moisture and sweats and results in condensation accumulating on metal parts. So on my build I pre painted all plywood with 2 to 3 coats of Dulux Weathershield that I had from house painting - colour Slate Grey which is a close match for the interior trim.
                    Again I will post my design at a later date. I will provide Auto Cad drawing pics and parts list and suppliers.
                    Boy, this started out as a simple comment.

January 2022.
                    A follow up edit for those who may want more on this type of build: Have a look at this link-
                    Another Rear Storage Unit The following design is for a MY17 NX GLX. After I recently purchased my first 4WD I was fortunate to discover this forum. I have used the various postings to guide me in the design and construction although I think there is enough difference to warrant this posting. I thank all those who have gone
                    Last edited by Pushbike; 17-01-22, 07:30 AM.
                    Pajero NX GLX MY17, OEM Rubber mats, OEM Towbar and tongue, After market Rev. Sensors, MSA4x4 seat covers, OEM nudge bar.

Remember the science demonstration of a table covered with mouse traps loaded with ping pong balls and the teacher drops a ping pong ball into the middle.
                    Well, the ball has been dropped.

Comment

• MickyD
                      • Dec 2007
                      • Aberfoyle Park SA

Originally posted by Pushbike View Post
                      I have built something similar and will post my design etc after further testing. First well done.
                      Thanks! Yes, it would be great to see your design.
                      Also I would suggest using the plastic square tube ends at least, preferably also some ply pads with a screw through the plastic end cap, to protect your carpet.
                      It's difficult to see in the pics, but I do have those plastic ends on the front legs.
                      Put locknuts on one side of each turnbuckle else as I have found 60Km of corrugations will vibrate the turnbuckle apart.
                      Yes, I found when I got home that the turnbuckles were quite loose. There was so much weight on it all, and it fits reasonably snugly anyway, so it wasn't going to move, but I reckon I'll have to do something about that before we go on our next trip.
                      And another suggestion, from the experience of having a raw plywood tool box. I found that plywood absorbs moisture and sweats and results in condensation accumulating on metal parts. So on my build I pre painted all plywood with 2 to 3 coats of Dulux Weathershield that I had from house painting - colour Slate Grey which is a close match for the interior trim.
                      I did paint the wood with Bondcrete (with an anti-mould additive too), which I included in my parts list, but didn't think to describe that step in my comments. I'll edit the OP to add that detail. Thanks for raising that.
                      Boy, this started out as a simple comment.

Comment

• Teamjet
                        • Jun 2015
                        • Sydney

I have also used the turn buckle to help secure the frame. I do regularly check them, but they don't move enough to warrant a design change.

I have screwed a few right angle brackets to help support the load (when fully loaded).

I purchased the joiners from Bunnings, but the AL from an AL supplier (heaps cheaper)

I have taken this frame fully loaded through the Vic High County, Brindaballa, Lithgow (just to name a few) without any issues.

Comment

• hunz
                          • Jun 2018
                          • Adelaide

Hi MickyD,
                          Love the design. do you by any chance still have your drawings with the measurements etc?
                          Cheers
                          HUnz

Comment

• na1291
                            • Oct 2018
                            • Sydney

Really good job mate!

Loved the read and keen to start something similar thanks to you!

Comment

• gemster
                              Valued Member
                              • Aug 2012
                              • Gold Coast

If you have an Aluminium supply company like this one near you, you will save big $$.... http://www.capral.com.au/

You can buy everything from them at about 1/3 the price of Bunnings.... I got a 6m length of the tube for what Bunnings was charging for a 2m piece... their connect-it bits are 1/2 the price as well..... But take a hack saw with you as they do charge a bit to 'cut to size'...

Another tip is, If you put a tek-screw in the tube where the plastic bits go in they won't develop a squeak(and it will if you don't) or use some liquid nails before you belt the plastic joiners in or use both as I have...
                              I have built 2 sets for mates and after several big trips on corrugations, no issues at all...
                              On one set I also used Apolic panel, its an Aluminium composite panel and is very strong and a fraction of the weight of ply... http://www.sgi-architectural.com.au/products/alpolic/ its used on building sidings..

Nice to see this stuff being used more often...

Gemster.....
                              Last edited by gemster; 21-03-19, 11:14 PM.
                              YES. ITS A MITZY . 97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, TT Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps...
                              And a 1999 NL LWB... Called 'Project Covid".. Stock Standard.
                              ..Both with No Airbags. We die like real Men

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X