Below Nav Bar

Collapse

Rear Storage/Drawers - Plywood vs Aluminium Tubing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • birdd
    • Mar 2014
    • Bundaberg, QLD

Rear Storage/Drawers - Plywood vs Aluminium Tubing?

I'm looking at building a new rear Storage/Drawers setup for my Gen 4

Originally I used Plywood for the setup I had previously (which was just a floor and fridge box) but I have been considering using some of that 1"/25mm Aluminium square tubing with the connectors (similar to what you can get from Bunnings - but cheaper from a metal supplier).

Anyone here gone the aluminium route? I'm thinking it would be a lot lighter than a plywood setup, but not sure if there is any disadvantages? The only one I can think of is that each piece is 25mm thick so you loose 25mm of space for each upright vs 9-12mm for a piece of plywood. Also not sure what I would "skin" the drawers with? I don't have a metal break so I can't fold aluminium sheet myself...

If you have got an aluminium setup, can you share some photos here please?

Any thoughts or recommendations for those who have been through this previously...?
    2008 MY09 Pajero NT GLX
    MM Alloy Bullbar, MM Sidesteps, MM Tow Bar, Bushskinz Intercooler and Sump Guards, Pioneer Platform, Supa-Peg Supa Wing Deluxe 270 Awning, 2x2.5m Kalahari Awning, 23" 144W CREE LED Light bar, Uniden UH8080NB, eBay Reversing Camera, Sony XAV-AX100 6.2" CarPlay/Android Auto Headunit, MM/Milford Cargo Barrier, Torqit Pedal Torq, Dual Battery (CTEK D250S Dual, PowerSonic 120AH AGM)
  • Pushbike
    • Jun 2017
    • Sydney

Hi BirdD
    Have a look at my build.
    Another Rear Storage Unit The following design is for a MY17 NX GLX. After I recently purchased my first 4WD I was fortunate to discover this forum. I have used the various postings to guide me in the design and construction although I think there is enough difference to warrant this posting. I thank all those who have gone

all the best.
    Pajero NX GLX MY17, OEM Rubber mats, OEM Towbar and tongue, After market Rev. Sensors, MSA4x4 seat covers, OEM nudge bar.

Remember the science demonstration of a table covered with mouse traps loaded with ping pong balls and the teacher drops a ping pong ball into the middle.
    Well, the ball has been dropped.

Comment

• NFT5
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2011
      • Canberra

Here's an idea out of left field:

Instead of the Connect-it tubing and all those (expensive) corner joiners, what about using 20x10x2mm aluminium tube and brazing the joints?

A lot of people don't know about aluminium brazing but it's nearly as strong as a weld and easy to do - similar to soldering. Would give you more space and be stronger, plus you get more design flexibility.

Sides can be made from aluminium sheet or you can use light plywood. The top shelf probably needs to be the usual heavy ply but by using aluminium tube you can use angle to support around the edges, allowing a drop-in design.
      Chris

Comment

• gemster
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2012
        • Gold Coast

There are 2 types of tube... One is a plain 25x25mm tube, the other has a 7mm lip on one side. If you use this type, you can fix 7mm ply and then cover the whole lot in carpet.. Or just cover the panels and screw them in place....

Liquid nail and put a screw in every joint and you will have no 'Squeaking" issues later on...

Gemster....
        YES. ITS A MITZY . 97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, TT Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps...
        And a 1999 NL LWB... Called 'Project Covid".. Stock Standard.
        ..Both with No Airbags. We die like real Men

Comment

• Pixie_au
          • Apr 2019
          • Queensland

Use 10mm wide strap, riveted in corners as a gusset. Rivet the plastic connectors also to prevent the joints opening up. Use thin ply as bracing on the sides. You can make the whole deal very rigid with some thought.

Comment

• Pixie_au
            • Apr 2019
            • Queensland

Originally posted by Pixie_au View Post
            Use 10mm wide strap, riveted in corners as a gusset. Rivet the plastic connectors also to prevent the joints opening up. Use thin ply as bracing on the sides. You can make the whole deal very rigid with some thought.
            Plus you can make it modular for different purposes.

Comment

• wanderay
              • Feb 2012
              • Richmond NSW

here is my solution, made of plywood with carpet and aluminium trim and ally angle in the corners. Very light but effective and has worked well for many years.

regards

NT Pajero (white), Smartbar, Warn winch, LightForce Lights, Safari snorkel, Provent 200, Lovells MD with Aussie Ryder shocks, Optima main and Renogy lithium aux battery and 300w solar on roof with Victron 100/20 reg, Tvan Sport campertrailer.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X