• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jim-oz
    • Aug 2016
    • blayney

Wrong oil used?

Hi all, need some help again.

I recently had a 15,000km service done in which they used Castrol Magnatec 5w-30 A5 oil, the thing is Castrol does not recommend this oil but does suggest their Edge range, mainly because it has a C3 Classification and for the DPF

So, i questioned the dealership's Service Manager who assured me it was the right oil as recommended by MM for the PS. Shortly after i had to do a trip to Perth from Tassie and so put 7.500 km on her. Thing is, when i got back i thought i would get an intermediary 7500 km oil and filter change done, only to find that they had changed oil to Castrol NPDX 5W-30 with the C3 classification.

The Service Manager effectively admitted that they had made a mistake [which i can accept, it does happen] and assured me that NO damage would have been done to the Engine or DPF and besides it was recorded on there system in case of future problems.

So, what do you guys know! Should i be worried ???

Thanks Jim
  • spot01
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2011
    • Adelaide

Difficult to know what if any damage may have been done, particularly to the DPF. You may wish to Google to find out if the accumulation of sulphur, etc., in the DPF is cumulative/permanent or if it disperses once the source has been removed. Another option would be to call Castrol & ask their technical people whether use of that oil for that period of time would be an issue - most suppliers like this have good tech advice available.

I wouldn't be so willing to accept their mistake and their verbal acknowledgement/admission of fault. You gave them every chance to check their work and the product used in your car was correct at the time. Whilst not wishing to start a thread of "dealer bashing", IMO, it is totally unacceptable for a professional franchised dealership (or any workshop for that matter) to make such an elementary mistake in the first place, let alone not checking & correcting it when you raised the issue.

I would ask the Service Manager for written confirmation of everything that they did, including his assurance that no harm was done and that they will cover it if any issues or faults which may appear at any time in the future as a result of their error. If they won't do that, I'd write a letter to the Service Manager outlining everything they did and said, plus everything you did to try to alert them to the issue. I'd finish the letter by requiring their written acknowledgment of the facts as set out in your letter and their assurances. I'd copy the letter to the Dealer Principal and MMAL.

Also worth noting that, if the PS is anything like the Pajero Gen 4, in which about a litre of the oil oil remains in the oil cooler system & isn't drained in a normal oil & filter change (even more if the filter isn't changed). I'd be asking about this and probably insisting they change it again now (incl. filter) at their cost to ensure more of the incorrect oil is removed. In a Gen 4 there would still be approx. 10% of the incorrect oil still in the engine - a second change would reduce it to approx. 1%. (but I'm unsure how much remains in a PS).
    Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• sandgroper 123
      • Dec 2015
      • W.A

I wonder how many other Mitsubishis have gone out with wrong oil !! and how the hell can a service MANAGER not know what oil to be used ,

Comment

• shortSteve
        • Dec 2012
        • Perth

Originally posted by sandgroper 123 View Post
        I wonder how many other Mitsubishis have gone out with wrong oil !! and how the hell can a service MANAGER not know what oil to be used ,
        Unfortunately, it is because they are a MANAGER, not a mechanically skilled tradesmen. The days of skilled workers moving up through the chain are long gone, now it's all uni degrees and ass kissing, performance quotas and profit margins. No mechanical understanding required or cared about.

To O.P, I would be keeping all receipts on file for future reference, but I doubt long term reliability will be affected.

sS
        MY13 Triton GLX Dual-Cab
        twin locked, canopy and racks, bars front and rear, camera and sensors, bashplates and snorkel, lift and 32's, long range tank, ecu tune and exhaust and many many memories...
        15 PC Challenger, nudge bar, tow bar, arb roof rack, IPF spotties, uhf, lift, 32's on MN GLX alloys, ORS draw system, fridge and slide, arkpak and awning....so far.

Comment

• Jim-oz
          • Aug 2016
          • blayney

Thanks ALL!!

Cheers! for all the advice guy's. I have e-mailed Castrol and am awaiting their reply before going any further, I don't think any damage would have been done either but have an uneasy feeling about the whole thing. i''ll let you know the outcome.

Thanks Jim

Comment

• littleriver
            Valued Member
            • Jan 2013
            • Queensland

Originally posted by shortSteve View Post
            Unfortunately, it is because they are a MANAGER, not a mechanically skilled tradesmen. The days of skilled workers moving up through the chain are long gone, now it's all uni degrees and ass kissing, performance quotas and profit margins. No mechanical understanding required or cared about.

To O.P, I would be keeping all receipts on file for future reference, but I doubt long term reliability will be affected.

sS
            Our Mitsubishi service centre last 2 managers were skilled Mitsubishi Technicians ... wouldn't go else where

When we first bought the vehicle there was an unskilled manager of which they flicked in 6 months ... tried to ask us if the Challenger was petrol or diesel

I'd be asking them to change the DPF straight up ... damage is done ...

Last edited by littleriver; 16-10-17, 02:01 PM.
            2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• Jim-oz
              • Aug 2016
              • blayney

Originally posted by littleriver View Post
              Our Mitsubishi service centre last 2 managers were skilled Mitsubishi Technicians ... wouldn't go else where

When we first bought the vehicle there was an unskilled manager of which they flicked in 6 months ... tried to ask us if the Challenger was petrol or diesel

I'd be asking them to change the DPF straight up ... damage is done ...

Thanks for the input, so the DPF and getting it replaced, is this something you are sure of or have firm mechanical knowledge of. i'm sure they won't replace anything without a firm fault. Jim

Comment

• zoom
                • Apr 2017
                • Sydney

I ran a NS diesel for 140000k using Delo left over from my boat motors never had a problem. The only difference is one oil is LOW ash the other isn't fact is if your engine isn't using /burning oil nothing will be going through you DPF so don't worry .
                Last edited by zoom; 16-10-17, 05:26 PM.

Comment

• zoom
                  • Apr 2017
                  • Sydney

Originally posted by Jim-oz View Post
                  Thanks for the input, so the DPF and getting it replaced, is this something you are sure of or have firm mechanical knowledge of. i'm sure they won't replace anything without a firm fault. Jim

WHY REPLACe THE DPF

Comment

• littleriver
                    Valued Member
                    • Jan 2013
                    • Queensland

Originally posted by Jim-oz View Post
                    it may be okay, it may not be okay ... it may last the warranty period but after that it's going to cost you a small fortune ... oil manufacturer's put a lot of money into research for a reason
                    and car manufactures' warranty is written and worded as such that buy putting wrong oil or parts in/on to a vehicle may void your warranty ...

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• littleriver
                      Valued Member
                      • Jan 2013
                      • Queensland

Originally posted by zoom View Post
                      WHY REPLACe THE DPF
                      here's an example of the wrong oil that is fitted with a DPF

Had a new BT-50 in my workshop awhile back and was complaining of the lack of power the vehicle had. Ended up he had the wrong oil in his car which had then ...

Comment

• aussieintas
                        Valued Member
                        • Feb 2013
                        • Sorell, Tasmania

I agree with spot01. A good comprehensive written record of the event/mistake between the dealer and MMAL and yourself. In addition, I would be requesting that MMAL advise you whats their thoughts are on the matter and not just take the word of the dealership.

Like some have said i doubt there would be too much issue with what has occured right now based on kms etc done with wrong oil but and a big but..........it may have put an increased amount of soot into the dpf which in time may block and/or create problems prematurely.
                        2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
                        88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
                        92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
                        92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
                        99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
                        95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
                        08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• zoom
                          • Apr 2017
                          • Sydney

Originally posted by littleriver View Post
                          here's an example of the wrong oil that is fitted with a DPF

I have seen more the same from using correct oil

Comment

• littleriver
                            Valued Member
                            • Jan 2013
                            • Queensland

Originally posted by zoom View Post
                            I have seen more the same from using correct oil
                            Could say he has mitsi dealership over the barrel. . Make the most of it . .. dpf to be or not to be that is the question. ..

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X