• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • steven.m
    • Sep 2019
    • Perth

Won't engage low range

Hey all

I have a 2010 PB challenger with an auto transmission and I was trying to get into low range, but it does not engage. The lights on the dash just flash but never go steady on.

I tried in neutral with breaks off and tried going forward and back to see if it would help, but no luck...

Has anyone got any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

With the engine turned off and the auto in Neutral can you select low range?

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• steven.m
      • Sep 2019
      • Perth

No it goes into 4H but when I move the gear lever to 4L the dash light just blinks continuously.

Comment

• nj swb
        Resident
        • Jun 2007
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by steven.m View Post
        No it goes into 4H but when I move the gear lever to 4L the dash light just blinks continuously.
        Can you drive in 4L? The PB Challenger has a mechanical shift mechanism - the lever controls what's happening internally, not an electric motor like later Pajeros / Pajero Sport. If the lever is in 4L the transfer case internals should also be in 4L, and the flashing light is most likely a purely electrical feedback issue.
        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• old Jack
          Regular
          • Jun 2011

The transfer case on the Challenger is mechanically selectable.
          Do not worry about the indicator lights at this stage?
          Can you physically move the transfer case lever through all positions?
          From 2H to 4H?
          From 4H to 4Hlc?
          From 4Hlc to 4Llc?
          If you can do all of the above then you do not have a transfer case problem.

Indicator Lights.
          When you select from 2H to 4H the front wheel indicator green lights are meant to flash until the front axle actuator has fully engaged, does this happen? The green indicator lights can flash for sometime as the wheels front wheels must be rotating at the same speed for some time for the freewheeling actuator to engage. Once engaged then the green lights should be solid ON.
          When you select from 4H to 4Hlc the orange centre diff light should come ON.
          When you select from 4Hlc to 4Llc there are no additional indicator lights.

OJ.
          2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• spot01
            Valued Member
            • Apr 2011
            • Adelaide

Are your 4 tyres all the same size, type, with similar wear rate & correct pressures?
            Are you trying to shift on a loose surface?
            I assume these are the same as my ML Tritions were - they sometimes needed a bit of a forceful shove in the lever to engage properly.

Make sure the front wheels are straight ahead when shifting & driving until the lights stop flashing.
            If it is in low range, you will notice the difference in more revs needed for the same speed - it may then need to be driven for a few metres, perhaps 20 or more, for the lights to stop.
            So the question is: is it in low range but with lights flashing or not engaging low range at all?
            Which specific lights remain flashing?
            Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• steven.m
              • Sep 2019
              • Perth

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
              Can you drive in 4L? The PB Challenger has a mechanical shift mechanism - the lever controls what's happening internally, not an electric motor like later Pajeros / Pajero Sport. If the lever is in 4L the transfer case internals should also be in 4L, and the flashing light is most likely a purely electrical feedback issue.
              Yes I moved the level into 4L but you can feel the power is still the same as 4H.

Comment

• steven.m
                • Sep 2019
                • Perth

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                The transfer case on the Challenger is mechanically selectable.

Do not worry about the indicator lights at this stage?

Can you physically move the transfer case lever through all positions?

From 2H to 4H?

From 4H to 4Hlc?

From 4Hlc to 4Llc?

If you can do all of the above then you do not have a transfer case problem.

Indicator Lights.

When you select from 2H to 4H the front wheel indicator green lights are meant to flash until the front axle actuator has fully engaged, does this happen? The green indicator lights can flash for sometime as the wheels front wheels must be rotating at the same speed for some time for the freewheeling actuator to engage. Once engaged then the green lights should be solid ON.

When you select from 4H to 4Hlc the orange centre diff light should come ON.

When you select from 4Hlc to 4Llc there are no additional indicator lights.

OJ.
                Hey, yes I can shift through all of them. When shifting into 4H the lights flash, but if I go into reverse and let the car drive a couple of centimetres the lights go steady on. When shifting to 4L the green wheel lights and the centre orange one just flash. I drove the car forward and back a couple of meters in the sand and it just kept flashing....

Comment

• steven.m
                  • Sep 2019
                  • Perth

Originally posted by spot01 View Post
                  Are your 4 tyres all the same size, type, with similar wear rate & correct pressures?
                  Are you trying to shift on a loose surface?
                  I assume these are the same as my ML Tritions were - they sometimes needed a bit of a forceful shove in the lever to engage properly.

Make sure the front wheels are straight ahead when shifting & driving until the lights stop flashing.
                  If it is in low range, you will notice the difference in more revs needed for the same speed - it may then need to be driven for a few metres, perhaps 20 or more, for the lights to stop.
                  So the question is: is it in low range but with lights flashing or not engaging low range at all?
                  Which specific lights remain flashing?
                  Hey, I can feel the power and revs stay the same when shifting into low range. The green wheel lights and centre diff light all flash and I am unable to engage the rear diff either.

I did try drive a couple of meters in the sand to see if that would help, but no luck.

Comment

• old Jack
                    Regular
                    • Jun 2011

Yes I moved the level into 4L but you can feel the power is still the same as 4H.

Are you pushing the lever downwards, then forwards and slightly to the right when moving the lever from 4Hlc to 4Lc?

OJ.

Comment

• steven.m
                      • Sep 2019
                      • Perth

Are you pushing the lever downwards, then forwards and slightly to the right when moving the lever from 4Hlc to 4Lc?

OJ.
                      Yes I shifts all the way easily but does not engage...

Comment

• old Jack
                        Regular
                        • Jun 2011

Yes I shifts all the way easily but does not engage...

Is the transmission in ""Neutral"?

Does the lever stay in the low range detented position or does it "pop out" ?

OJ.

Comment

• steven.m
                          • Sep 2019
                          • Perth

Is the transmission in ""Neutral"?

Does the lever stay in the low range detented position or does it "pop out" ?

OJ.
                          Hey yes I put the transmission in neutral first and then change. The lever stays just where I left it and moves all the way over. The 4wd gear lever does seem a little easy though. It is hard to feel the positions but I definitely all the way over.

Comment

• old Jack
                            Regular
                            • Jun 2011

Hey yes I put the transmission in neutral first and then change. The lever stays just where I left it and moves all the way over. The 4wd gear lever does seem a little easy though. It is hard to feel the positions but I definitely all the way over.

So what happens when you try to drive it once you have selected low range?

OJ.

Comment

• steven.m
                              • Sep 2019
                              • Perth

So what happens when you try to drive it once you have selected low range?

OJ.
                              Hey

It drives and the dash lights flash, but you can still feel it is not low range.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X