• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • russ1
    • Feb 2011
    • adelaide

EGR quote $700 to replace

I have just been quoted >$700 to replace the EGR valve on my 2010 PB with 160,000 km (30k on the new motor). Seen genuine EGR for around $300 but dont know the labour cost, but I do question whether I can leave the valve as is (seal leaks slightly but has for some time) or do I have to replace it? I have the EGR electronic by pass thingy installed. Dealer says I cannot just replace the gasket. Any recommendations or suggestions? Cheers
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Hi Russ,

So what is the reason the Dealer is saying the EGR valve must be replaced for?

Not functioning?

External exhaust gas leak?

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• russ1
      • Feb 2011
      • adelaide

Hello OJ, to quote the comments from the last service "EGR and EGR gasket (oil leak) recommend replace/reseal." Dealer said it had to be replaced when I asked if we could just do the seal. Also quoted $600 for the 160k service; I am yet to ring around and compare prices on that. Apart from the EGR seal leaking oil (I dont like oil leaks anywhere) the performance is as good as new, no smoke and no faults/engine lights etc. All normal except it leaks oil. Russ

Comment

• DibbyDibbyDJ
        Valued Member
        • Sep 2019
        • Victoria

EGR oil seal? its only exhaust gas going through it. Cant imagine what they are on about.
        2024 Outlander

Diamond Technician at Main Dealer

mitsubishi-forums

Comment

• reelmick
          • Jun 2014
          • lake macquarie

Egr

I'm going through the procedure off putting the check light out on my 2014 model (without success) for the code for EGR valve , there on ebay for $249 you should be able to fit it yourself.

Comment

• russ1
            • Feb 2011
            • adelaide

thanks all, I rang the dealer and mentioned I had some conversations with other owners re function and a cheaper replacement. He agreed to replace the gasket only and include it in the service cost. I will ask the EGR to be cleaned at the same time. I will also have a look at providing my own oil filter (theirs $84) and air ($48). Putting the above minor issue aside, the dealer (Spencer Mits Pt Pirie) have been great. Very polite staff, friendly and always ask if I need a loan car, hence the 300 km one way trip is worth it for piece of mind particularly after the unprofessional and shoddy service attempts with my local metro dealer over the previous 8 years. Blowing the engine near Pt Pirie early last year and meeting the dealer was preferable to it happening town and Spencer's did the warranty engine swap in 10 days and no issues since. 600km round trip might sound expensive but I combine it with a family catch up at Pt Augusta with some fishing & shooting. That will do my essay

Comment

• Giddyup
              • Oct 2013
              • Melbourne

Not sure how great the dealer is that tried to rip you off by replacing the egr that doesn't need replacing. The gasket doesn't need replacing either as there is no oil in the egr to leak. It's coming from somewhere else. I'd bet their gasket 'replacement' process is to spray degreaser around and clean it.

Originally posted by russ1 View Post
              thanks all, I rang the dealer and mentioned I had some conversations with other owners re function and a cheaper replacement. He agreed to replace the gasket only and include it in the service cost. I will ask the EGR to be cleaned at the same time. I will also have a look at providing my own oil filter (theirs $84) and air ($48). Putting the above minor issue aside, the dealer (Spencer Mits Pt Pirie) have been great. Very polite staff, friendly and always ask if I need a loan car, hence the 300 km one way trip is worth it for piece of mind particularly after the unprofessional and shoddy service attempts with my local metro dealer over the previous 8 years. Blowing the engine near Pt Pirie early last year and meeting the dealer was preferable to it happening town and Spencer's did the warranty engine swap in 10 days and no issues since. 600km round trip might sound expensive but I combine it with a family catch up at Pt Augusta with some fishing & shooting. That will do my essay
              MY14 Titanium manual. Stock.

Comment

• Kingbrown
                Valued Member
                • Apr 2012
                • Port Augusta - SA

Re: gaskets,

There's a gasket located between the EGR valve and where it attaches to the inlet manifold. There would be manifold pressure (and possibly oiliness) acting on that gasket which could allow oil to seep out of the joint.

Gasket is P/No 1582A039.

Princely sum of AUD $2.71 from Amayama !

There's another gasket on the underside of the EGR valve for a join to the EGR pipe, but that's on the exhaust side so unlikely to be exposed to oil. P/No 1582A035

Three other gaskets on the EGR pipework to the egr cooler and exhaust. These are P/No MR161679.
                Last edited by Kingbrown; 06-02-20, 08:01 AM.
                2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• itsamitsi
                  Valued Member
                  • Aug 2015
                  • Hervey Bay Queensland

IIRC it's a metal gasket so it'll take a fair flogging. Maybe just needs a tighten up.
                  Paul 2015 PC Challenger LS Auto - 2" Ultimate lift, Duraturn 265/70/17 A/Ts , catch can and resistor mod, Custom MCC Bullbar ,12000lb winch , Dual batteries ,Boo's Bash plates ,E-Drive throttle controller,Auto Mate, In car entertainment and more.

Comment

• Kingbrown
                    Valued Member
                    • Apr 2012
                    • Port Augusta - SA

Itsamitsi Paul looks to be correct:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1582A039.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	985172
                    2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• itsamitsi
                      Valued Member
                      • Aug 2015
                      • Hervey Bay Queensland

I reused mine along with a coat of Copper Coat when refitting it when I did my valve and timing belt changes.
                      Paul 2015 PC Challenger LS Auto - 2" Ultimate lift, Duraturn 265/70/17 A/Ts , catch can and resistor mod, Custom MCC Bullbar ,12000lb winch , Dual batteries ,Boo's Bash plates ,E-Drive throttle controller,Auto Mate, In car entertainment and more.

Comment

• russ1
                        • Feb 2011
                        • adelaide

Originally posted by Giddyup View Post
                        Not sure how great the dealer is that tried to rip you off by replacing the egr that doesn't need replacing. The gasket doesn't need replacing either as there is no oil in the egr to leak. It's coming from somewhere else. I'd bet their gasket 'replacement' process is to spray degreaser around and clean it.
                        Compared to other dealers I have used, Spencers have been the standout. One incident doesn't change my opinion. Thanks for advice about no oil in the EGR. Cheers.

Comment

• russ1
                          • Feb 2011
                          • adelaide

Originally posted by Kingbrown View Post
                          Itsamitsi Paul looks to be correct:

[ATTACH]43147[/ATTACH]
                          Thanks KB and Itsamitsi, it will be interesting to hear the dealers explanation of an '"oil leak". Will post the outcome after the service on the 25th.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X