Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-1 Pajero

Generation 4-1 Pajero NS Model 2006 - 2009

Old 1 Week Ago

The opening post sounds like bs. ďOn FB I read about a guy who had issues with his injectors leaking after installing this catch can.Ē classic.

How does that happen? It canít.

Iím yet to get a catch can, itís on my to do list - and Iíve read many times that you pay for what you get with these.

Now waits for the can of worms to open with all the videos and comparisons.

Cheers

Bennie
2005 NP DiD auto. The family bus. Dual batteries, snorkel, one side step, no lift (yet), 81L LRA tank (awesome!). Other rides: "Ruby Scoo" my lifted L series Subaru and my "Redback" Targa top Brumby - only mods are 5 poster bullbar and nicer dashboard from a coupe
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Freddo View Post
The opening post sounds like bs. ďOn FB I read about a guy who had issues with his injectors leaking after installing this catch can.Ē classic.

How does that happen? It canít.

Iím yet to get a catch can, itís on my to do list - and Iíve read many times that you pay for what you get with these.

Now waits for the can of worms to open with all the videos and comparisons.

Cheers

Bennie

4 1/2 years ago I bought the Pro Vent for my NW. There were few catch cans on the market. Proven product with zero safety issues. Since then the copy cats and letís make some money mobs have moved in with catch cans. . I,m still on my original filter (have a spare) and glad I went with the best.

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.
Having lots of friends on facebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...both meaningless.

Telegraph X camper
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

ProVentģ Style Universal Oil Separator

ProVent 200 Catch Can

ProVentģ Style Oil Catch Can

Which one is genuine?
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Dear Bennie, If you bothered to read my post I said I wished I got a Provent but it said clearly it won't fit with my snorkel. The can was just too big for the location. The Provent can was only $50 more than the Ryco

When I read about the issues with the same can from someone else, if it's FB or a forum or flipping twitter I don't care, that's when it dawned on me the issues I had were because of the can.

The guy from Ryco clearly told me there's an issue with this can that is easily fixed and that's what I did. When the crankcase pressure is too high, there's an internal valve in the can that shuts the flow completely causing very high crankcase pressures causing damage to seals and will pop your dipstick.

He's the man to talk to at Ryco
matthewh@rycofilters.com
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox View Post
Why would you need a CC for a petrol motor??
Catch cans have purpose on all internal combustion engines, petrol or diesel.

Combustion pressure leaks past piston rings into the sump, pressurising the sump and forcing oil mist and contamination into the inlet manifold.

Of course more an issue with higher performance or modified engines because they are more likely to spend time with larger throttle openings with resultant higher combustion pressure.

Have a look at some old Street Machine mags and you will probably see quite a number of very shiney catch cans.

Catch cans are very fashionable with diesels in recent years due to the added issue of EGR gas cooking the oil blow by and creating restricted inlet manifolds.

EGRs have only been utilised in diesels since late1990's, but the up take of smaller cubic displacement, higher turbo boost and common rail injection providing lots of power but in doing so inadvertantly generated larger combustion pressures and more combustion blow by.
Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfarru View Post
Dear Bennie, If you bothered to read my post I said I wished I got a Provent but it said clearly it won't fit with my snorkel. The can was just too big for the location. The Provent can was only $50 more than the Ryco
Dear chrisfarru,

I detect your sincere sarcasm and did read your opening post. No wish of a Provent mentioned, just that it wouldnít fit. Iím sure thereís another space that could be utilised with some thought put into it if that was the item you really wanted. What sort of snorkel are you running to not have room for a provent catch can?

What I was questioning in the Facebook/Twitter/wherever quote is how are injectors leaking due to a catch can? I donít see the link between the two and in my mind it canít happen. What could have happened is the catch can issue got the dude or their mechanic to scrutinise an issue and they happened to find the leaking injectors, then the catch can issue.

I can understand how the built up pressure would pop seals and the dipstick. That would be concerning.

Glad you worked it out quickly too. Nothing worse than a problem you canít figure out while it continues to cause you issues.

All the best.

Cheers

Bennie
2005 NP DiD auto. The family bus. Dual batteries, snorkel, one side step, no lift (yet), 81L LRA tank (awesome!). Other rides: "Ruby Scoo" my lifted L series Subaru and my "Redback" Targa top Brumby - only mods are 5 poster bullbar and nicer dashboard from a coupe
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
ProVentģ Style Universal Oil Separator

ProVent 200 Catch Can

ProVentģ Style Oil Catch Can

Which one is genuine?
No idea but if I was to have a guess, I would say that the ones that have the description ďProvent StyleĒ are unlikely to be genuine.

| ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Booís guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | airbags | Cooper AT3 LT's | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank in rear seat well | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Freddo View Post
...No wish of a Provent mentioned, just that it wouldnít fit. Iím sure thereís another space that could be utilised with some thought put into it if that was the item you really wanted. What sort of snorkel are you running to not have room for a provent catch can?...

Bennie
Bennie,
I have the same issue and would love to here where you suggest fitting a Provent Catch can in a Gen 4 diesel with a snorkel. I also have a second battery in an ARB tray.
Infact, I bought a genuine Provent and have the capacity to make/engineer custom brackets and mounts but was unable to find room anywhere under the bonnet for a satisfactory install. I ended up having to sell the new unused Provent as Ďsecond handí for a loss.
I have a Safari snorkel but I am aware that Airtec also impede the fitting of a Provent catch can.
I would genuinely like to fit one and look forward to your suggestions.

ps itís only an online chat about catch cans. chrisfarru only made the initial post to share the information he was given and help other forum members. Maybe lest try to be a bit more laid back and friendly??

| ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Booís guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | airbags | Cooper AT3 LT's | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank in rear seat well | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')
Old 1 Week Ago

Geopaj, Iím still in the dark as to how your snorkel is routed.

Without seeing the setup and engine bay in person I canít help. My comment is based on the amount of room under the bonnet of the Pajero. Try fitting a dual battery into a Subaru engine bay, let alone other devices! Gob smacked at how much room is in there.

Anyone got a pic of the RHS of the engine bay around the air box that shows the routing of this snorkel?

Cheers

Bennie
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

I have the airtek snorkel in my NW and mounted the provent where the second battery normally sits. . Has worked fine for over 5 years.

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.
Having lots of friends on facebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...both meaningless.

Telegraph X camper