• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vanastasis
    • May 2013
    • Victoria

Whistle in Cabin Under Boost / Load

Hi All,

i have noticed under load (boost) i can hear a whistle from the passenger firewall area
    I've looked for boost leaks, egr leaks etc.. and can't find anything
    could anyone shed some light on my situation please.
    could a unclean intake manifold cause such whistle like clogged or butterflies inside jammed
    the whistle is only on boost / load ( not high pitch whistle, mid type whistle )
    i still have full boost throughout the rev range, no loss of power, no surging and fuel is 7-8l/p 100
    2011 NT Platinum DID
  • AndrewRe
    • Nov 2019
    • Mudgeeraba, Qld

I am looking forward to hearing from everyone on this as I have the exact same problem. Had my adult son with a piece of tube to his ear trying to find the spot the noise is coming from. Not sure but it seems worse once motor is warm, but I may be dreaming. Someone here will know.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
    HPD Front Mount Intercooler Upgrade, PPD 3" Exhaust, 3.5" Safari Snorkel, XRox Bullbar, 2"lift using 300KG upgrade King Springs and ToughDog Shocks, Automate,

Comment

• AndrewRe
      • Nov 2019
      • Mudgeeraba, Qld

BTW I have no EGR, clean manifold, no throttle butterfly, and sound starts to become audible from 6psi and is at full volume by 10 psi and up. Not loud.... Just irritating.

HPD Front Mount Intercooler Upgrade, PPD 3" Exhaust, 3.5" Safari Snorkel, XRox Bullbar, 2"lift using 300KG upgrade King Springs and ToughDog Shocks, Automate,

Comment

• PICADOR
        • Apr 2017
        • Logroño, La Rioja (Spain)

Look for a break intercooler

Comment

• AndrewRe
          • Nov 2019
          • Mudgeeraba, Qld

Thanks Picador
          My intercooler is now front mount as the original was tiny and received very little air flow. The whistle was there prior to the upgrade

Comment

• vanastasis
            • May 2013
            • Victoria

Thanx for the info, will check intercooler

Comment

• AndrewRe
              • Nov 2019
              • Mudgeeraba, Qld

Originally posted by vanastasis View Post
              Thanx for the info, will check intercooler
              Have you had any luck?

Comment

• Seigried
                Valued Member
                • Apr 2016
                • brisbane

Check to see if your intake manifold gasket is leaking.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

• AndrewRe
                  • Nov 2019
                  • Mudgeeraba, Qld

Originally posted by Seigried View Post
                  Check to see if your intake manifold gasket is leaking.

This makes sense. Seigried, only issue is proving it without just going ahead and replacing the gasket. Any ideas?

Comment

• Seigried
                    Valued Member
                    • Apr 2016
                    • brisbane

If you have a disco fog machine feed it in via the port for the blow by return. Use a bright torch and look for "smoke" leaking out. This will let you check from after the airfilter all the way to the inlet manifold.

I have done this myself after cleaning my manifold. For me it found a leak.

The attached photo show my fog machine hooked up directly to the throtle body using a custom adaptor. After which i tested again by attaching to the blow by return.

Another option is to presurise the system using compressed air. I havent tried that method.Click image for larger version

Name:	20200515_213233.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	985980

Comment

• Two Emms
                      Valued Member
                      • Jan 2020
                      • Mansfield, Vic

Hmmm, number of forum members with a disco fog machine versus number of forum members with an air compressor

At least with the fog machine, the smallest leak will show.

If you don't have a disco fog machine maybe combine compressed air with a bit of soapy water, just like checking your bbq gas bottle, will make any leaks obvious.
                      2016 NX GLS Factory alloy bar, Provent 200 catch can, Boos bash plates (full set), Stedi light bar, 40 litre Waeco, Titan fridge slide, Kings springs, Toyo Open Country AT3s, Auto-mate, Ultragauge, Uniden 8080s, Tanami x11, more to come...

Comment

• Xrsteve
                        • Apr 2018
                        • Victoria

I’m looking forward to hearing what you find.

I have had the same issue since cleaning the manifold. It became apparent during the first drive probably about 10ks in after some heavy boost.

I assumed it blew through a gasket. I haven’t done anything yet as I thought I’d wait till I clean the manifold again and replace the gasket.

I also read on here someone had a similar issue and it was the turbo gasket.

Let me know how you go it might save me some stuffing around.

Comment

• AndrewRe
                          • Nov 2019
                          • Mudgeeraba, Qld

I definitely will. As a matter of interest. Does your whistle have a vibration in it?
                          Mine is kinda like the sound made when you hum and whistle at the same time. It's subtle but there. Hopefully I am making sense.[emoji849]

Comment

• Xrsteve
                            • Apr 2018
                            • Victoria

I’ll get the wife to take a video next drive it’s definitely a boost leak. It’s hard to hear over the 3” but it’s there

Comment

• AndrewRe
                              • Nov 2019
                              • Mudgeeraba, Qld

Originally posted by Xrsteve View Post
                              I’ll get the wife to take a video next drive it’s definitely a boost leak. It’s hard to hear over the 3” but it’s there
                              Thanks Steve.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X