• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • t0ne
    • Jun 2010
    • Adelaide

Thoughts please

Hey guys.

I just did a ball weight test on my van and if i fill my rear water tank up i can get the ball weight to about 170KG.

Now the weight of the van is 2660Kg.

Now my question is if i updated my Np to a NW with 3T towing, will it suffice?

Or should i go and buy a 100 series landcruiser and be done with it ?????

thanks guys
    2005 NP MY06 DiD Auto Exceed, Nudge bar, IPF spot lights, rear DVD for the kids.(being added) long range tank, poly airs, heavy duty springs, dual battery, slotted rotors. New van: 2013 Jayco starcraft 22.68.1
  • Pickle
    Administrator
    • Jun 2007
    • All over Oz

Originally posted by t0ne View Post
    Hey guys.

I just did a ball weight test on my van and if i fill my rear water tank up i can get the ball weight to about 170KG.

Now the weight of the van is 2660Kg.

Now my question is if i updated my Np to a NW with 3T towing, will it suffice?

Or should i go and buy a 100 series landcruiser and be done with it ?????

thanks guys
    I know you don't want to hear it. Up to 2500kg the ball weight is 250 kg. Once over the 2500 kg, ball weight drops to something like 178kg. So your right near the limit.
    Dave
    NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
    Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• t0ne
      • Jun 2010
      • Adelaide

Originally posted by Pickle View Post
      I know you don't want to hear it. Up to 2500kg the ball weight is 250 kg. Once over the 2500 kg, ball weight drops to something like 178kg. So your right near the limit.
      Dave
      Yeah i know im right near the limit and that the thing that worry's me, being soooo close to it.

I mean i could keep the van to just under 2500Kg but that means no water onboard for me.

I suppose my NP at the moment tows the car with no problems at all, just wonder with the more KW and NM if its worth it.
      2005 NP MY06 DiD Auto Exceed, Nudge bar, IPF spot lights, rear DVD for the kids.(being added) long range tank, poly airs, heavy duty springs, dual battery, slotted rotors. New van: 2013 Jayco starcraft 22.68.1

Comment

• joe2006
        • Jan 2011
        • Central Victoria

IMO if the only reason for the change is to keep on the right side of the law, you are realistically not much better off.

What is the ball weight when the tank behind the axle is empty? If it increases by anywhere near 10kg, you are really wasting your time. No point carrying around water that you can't use.

My loaded ball weight is right on 250kg but I had to travel with near empty tanks to keep below 2500kg. A new Pajero was unfortunately off the menu for me and ended up with another vehicle as a tug.
        Cheers Joe

2004 NP GLX DID Auto

Comment

• t0ne
          • Jun 2010
          • Adelaide

Originally posted by joe2006 View Post
          IMO if the only reason for the change is to keep on the right side of the law, you are realistically not much better off.

What is the ball weight when the tank behind the axle is empty? If it increases by anywhere near 10kg, you are really wasting your time. No point carrying around water that you can't use.
          Ball Weight jumps upto a bit over the 200Kg mark.....

Comment

• joe2006
            • Jan 2011
            • Central Victoria

Gee your damned if you do and damned if you don't. At a guess your vans tare is about 2250kg. It doesn't leave a lot spare for the NP.

I was really in much the same boat as you. It is a little disheartening having to make the decision.
            Cheers Joe

2004 NP GLX DID Auto

Comment

• t0ne
              • Jun 2010
              • Adelaide

Originally posted by joe2006 View Post
              Gee your damned if you do and damned if you don't. At a guess your vans tare is about 2250kg. It doesn't leave a lot spare for the NP.

I was really in much the same boat as you. It is a little disheartening having to make the decision.
              I dont mind buying the cruiser, but i really want something younger at the same time.

Comment

• polarbear8131
                • Apr 2013
                • Macedon Ranges, Victoria.

Could you get away with a water tank in the car therefore less weight in the van?

Comment

• t0ne
                  • Jun 2010
                  • Adelaide

Originally posted by polarbear8131 View Post
                  Could you get away with a water tank in the car therefore less weight in the van?
                  The water tank is to make the ball weight of the van lighter, i have 2 tanks in the van one at the front and one in the back.

If i fill the rear water tank in the van it takes my ball weight from 210Kg to 165Kg.

Meaning i can then look at a NW Pajero.

Or i go bugger it and go a cruiser.

Comment

• t0ne
                    • Jun 2010
                    • Adelaide

Anyone towing close to the limits of the Pajero.

Tow ball weight wise more than anything else.

Thanks

Comment

• nj swb
                      Resident
                      • Jun 2007
                      • Adelaide

My apologies if I'm stating the obvious, but have you looked at how you pack the van, and whether you can move heavy items from in front of the axle, to behind? Pots & pans, crockery, canned goods?
                      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• t0ne
                        • Jun 2010
                        • Adelaide

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                        My apologies if I'm stating the obvious, but have you looked at how you pack the van, and whether you can move heavy items from in front of the axle, to behind? Pots & pans, crockery, canned goods?
                        Already done this, i have got the ball weight done just under the 170Kg mark if i fill the rear water tank.

Comment

• Kumabear
                          Valued Member
                          • Sep 2013
                          • Sydney, Macarther Region

Hey

Could you not use a WDH to transfer a little of the weight back on the van, it wouldn't have to be very much.

Also realistically you are only 160kg in total over 2500kg at which the ball load is 250kg.

you are quite a bit off the 3000kg limit with your ball load.

That said I don't have experience towing so may be way off the ball most of what i know about towing with the Paj ive picked up on this forum.
                          2011 MY12 NW Pajero GL (White)

Factory Rear Diff lock | Modded Traction Control | Hankook RT03 MT LT265/70/17 | Uniden 7760nb UHF | Opposite Lock 3 Loop steel bar with fog lights |Runva EXW12000 | Bushskinz plates and sliders |Ultimate Suspension true 50mm Lift (above factory trim)

Wishlist:

Comment

• Cams
                            • Sep 2010
                            • Melbourne

Too close for comfort, get a cruiser and fill the tanks to your hearts desire.

You go on a trip with rear tank full,use some water say half the tank, came home over weight..

Not worth stuffing about with the risk.
                            2010 NT Platinum Pajero, DiD auto warm white. MM tow bar, Redarc for power.
                            Open Country AT2's
                            Jayco Startcraft 19-61.1 Family van

Comment

• Cams
                              • Sep 2010
                              • Melbourne

Also, does the van have a plated tow ball mass? If something where to happen, that is the figure that would be looked at. It's hard to weigh the ball weight if it is destroyed, they would take the plated number and if it's over?
                              2010 NT Platinum Pajero, DiD auto warm white. MM tow bar, Redarc for power.
                              Open Country AT2's
                              Jayco Startcraft 19-61.1 Family van

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X