• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MickSA
    • Jun 2009
    • Southern Suburbs of Adelaide S.A

How many k's from an alternator?

Hi guys,

Some of you may remember the issue i have been battling with lights on the dash?

Anyway the issue has still not been resolved I took advice from a mate and went and visited a fella who used to build these motors and although he no longer works on them advised me to call in an auto electrician and have it diagnosed. Although not certain with the issue the auto elecs advice was to replace the alternator because it had done 200,000 km's and that the diaodes would be worn and certain failure would be imminent. I guess if the alternator is replaced at least if nothing else we can eliminate it from the equation? Even pulling a few favours from Mitsubishi service managers from my normal mechanic has produced no joy

Interested in your opinion please
    Cheers Mick 2012 NW GLX MANUAL
  • mmannion
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2008
    • Birth place of QLD

Mick I have just over 370k kms on the original alternator on my NM never had a problem touch wood.
    02 NM 3.5v6 auto Exceed, seq gas inj,265/75/16 Wild Peaks,16x8 Ballistic alloys, 2.5" cat back, wild cat headers, Lovells HD/TJM Gold Series,30mm coil spacers in rear, dual batt, TJM/bushskinz, 4x4 equip axe & shovel holder, rev cam, 50L Waeco, Megapulse, poly airs, Safari snorkel, K&N, MM alloy b/bar, Roo Lite's, 21" light bar,remote mount UHF, extended breathers, ARB comp, Maxtrax, RTT, Batwing awning & much more!

my videos http://www.youtube.com/user/michealmannion?feature=mhee

Comment

• Silver Streak
      Valued Member
      • May 2010
      • Adelaide. South Aust.

Originally posted by mmannion View Post
      Mick I have just over 370k kms on the original alternator on my NM never had a problem touch wood.
      I guess if you bought an ex-police vehicle, for instance, that has been sitting on the side of the road for hours on end, running the air-cond as well, you wouldn't have many k's up at all? Just a thought?
      Cheers, Tony.

Silver Streak.

2010 NT (Nov) Platinum Pajero, DiD auto, Iron Bark.
      Factory Tow-bar, Colour coded ARB Deluxe Bullbar, Hankook Dynopro RT03 MT Tyres, 265/R70x17, Bilstein/Lovell HD 2" lift kit, Bushskinz underbody protection plates, Navar Blue 225's, TJM Airtec Snorkel, Tinted Pajero Bonnet Protector, Uniden UH7750NB UHF-CB, Rhino Rack Sunseeker ll Awning (2.5m x 2m), Full Tint + UV film on privacy glass, Dash Mat, Techniice 60ltr Fridge/Freezer.

Comment

• psproule
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2007
        • Googong, NSW

Mine has 200,000km and it's fine. Diodes dont wear by the way. But they will fail through gross overload and heat.
        2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
        2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

• MickSA
          • Jun 2009

Thanks for the input boys, well as i said if nothing else i can eliminate the alternator from the equation

Comment

• brentw
            • Sep 2012
            • Salisbury Heights, SA

I replaced mine at 250,000 as it was making a hell of a racket. (Bearing) pulled it apart and the bushes were looking pretty short as well. I'll end up getting it rebuilt as a spare. I didn't think my dash lights were looking that dim till I fitted the new one.
            2003 NP Pajero GLS 3.2 DID.

E.C. Bullbar, USB/Bluetooth Stereo, Cabin Filter Mod, 20% tint, Bridgestone AT LT 265/70/16, EGR Blanks, Bonnet Protector, Engine Guardian, Boost/Oil Pressure/Volt Gauges + Huge Wish list

Comment

• MickSA
              • Jun 2009

Hi all,

Well the penny finally dropped, new alternator fitted today, no more dash lights It was enough to make you sick

Comment

• brentw
                • Sep 2012
                • Salisbury Heights, SA

Good to hear it's sorted now
                2003 NP Pajero GLS 3.2 DID.

E.C. Bullbar, USB/Bluetooth Stereo, Cabin Filter Mod, 20% tint, Bridgestone AT LT 265/70/16, EGR Blanks, Bonnet Protector, Engine Guardian, Boost/Oil Pressure/Volt Gauges + Huge Wish list

Comment

• MickSA
                  • Jun 2009

Where's the thumbs up emoticon

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X