• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pabs855
    • Sep 2009
    • Narellan Vale (NSW)

Insect Screens

Hi, we are headed out back in a couple of weeks and are concerned about hoppers/locusts getting into the cooling cores. Any suggestions as to how to put an insect screen on the front ? I have genuine MMA nudge bar and driving light fitted which makes it a little more difficult.
  • Overland
    • Jun 2010
    • Sunbury Victoria

I just came back from Mildura a few weeks ago and was lucky I missed the locust. I have the nudge bar fitted so what I did was got some flywire screen, removed the grille (very easy to do, just pop the center pin out of the top clips and pull out then lift the grill out. Take about a minute to do). Once the grille was out I wrapped the flywire around the top and bottom of the grille and taped. Put back in place and poked some holes for the clips to go back in. Cut flywire around where the bonnet latch clips. Tops now done.

For the bottom I removed the number plate, placed the flywire up under the number plate then resecured it to the car to hold the top in place. I cut some slots in the flywire to fit around the nudgebar brackets then used gaffer tape to hold the wire in place around the edges and to below the bash plate vents.

It worked a treat for the trip, collected every bug except locust. I don't have it on now to take some pictures but should have some in my photos if you like to see it. Pretty easy to do, just take some time to cut around things.
    Cheers, David.

2010 Pajero Activ Auto DiD.Ironbark, ECB Polished Big Tube Bar, IPF HID Driving Lights, HID High Beam Conversion, Dual Batteries, Midnight Express Tinting, Thule Roof Racks, Cargo Barrier, UHF, Brake Controller, Factory Towbar.

Comment

• bushman
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2009
      • Wollondilly Shire NSW

We copped it big time back in April going out west. I got to Cobar and reefed off the plastic netting around the gas bottle on my camper and zip tied it to the grill, did the job for that trip, fly wire is the far better option as its finer, just remember to get out and clean the little buggers off, including the vents in the protection plates..

I believe the a metal bug screen avalible for the PJ but hard to get, i was told TJM can get them (Parramatta).
      Last edited by bushman; 25-10-10, 06:54 PM.
      09 NT Di-D Auto RX (Now Gone)
      2014 Golden Eagle Escape in tow ( Now Gone)
      2021 QF Pajero Sport
      ​​2020 Vacationer Roadtracker in tow
      LOVE'N THAT CAR"

Comment

• The Commodore
        Valued Member
        • Nov 2009
        • Macarthur Region NSW.

G'day Bushman-still on the road!

Pabs855-as with Bushman we were out western NSW at Easter and copped clouds of the little Buugers, they actually took the clear coat off the paint on the bonnet.

Two weeks ago we left Campbelltown area (Sydney) have gone through Broken Hill, The Flinders Ranges, Eyre Peninsular and Yorke Peninsular and have not seen anything bigger than your average bug.

But I am carrying a roll of fly screen to make a screen on the spot if needed.

As I am towing a 'van I dont want to fit the screen unless necessary, just a bit worried about restricting airflow and heating the motor more than necessary.

I would prepare yourself as you can pull over and set something up if needed.

Regards.....Keith.
        Regards.....Keith.

Comment

• THT
          • Nov 2009
          • Sydney

Bushman, that's why there's a good recycled water car wash for your convenience next to the Empire Motel in Cobar.
          I had problem hosing those dried little buggers off with high pressure water and it just cause the paint to chip away. Had same problem with my old 2007 Triton leased car in the past, not just the bonnet but hosing off dried mud on the side of the car can cause paint chips in the old Triton.
          Mitsubishi Pajero NT MY09 X SWB DiD Black Mica. Electronic Rust Protection. Mitsubishi Le Mans 20" factory alloy wheels (Imported from UK). Dynamat Xtreme.
          Mitsubishi Pajero NT MY11 Platinum DiD Ironbark. Genuine factory alloy bar. Head lights & fog lamps protectors. Electronic Rust Protection. MotorOne X-Pack Paint & Fabric Guard. MMA Neoprene seat covers. Dynamat Xtreme. Stock as a rock!

Comment

• bushman
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2009
            • Wollondilly Shire NSW

Originally posted by THT View Post
            Bushman, that's why there's a good recycled water car wash for your convenience next to the Empire Motel in Cobar.
            I had problem hosing those dried little buggers off with high pressure water and it just cause the paint to chip away. Had same problem with my old 2007 Triton leased car in the past, not just the bonnet but hosing off dried mud on the side of the car can cause paint chips in the old Triton.

We were only in Cobra over night, didn't actually see the carwash, but we found the one at Broken Hill, it was great, turn the dail to "BUG WASH" and those little suckers just ran off. Oh! I found Pine O Clean is great for getting them off too.
            09 NT Di-D Auto RX (Now Gone)
            2014 Golden Eagle Escape in tow ( Now Gone)
            2021 QF Pajero Sport
            ​​2020 Vacationer Roadtracker in tow
            LOVE'N THAT CAR"

Comment

• CraigFox
              • Jun 2010
              • Happy Valley SA

I always carry a small container of white spirits, and good quality window cleaner in the camper when we go away. The white spirits is a great bug remover, although it will strip the wax/polish off the duco, so you do need to repolish often. If I get bugs during the day, after we have settled into camp, I have a bit of therapy by getting the bugs off while having an beverage or 3.
              I have used NuFinish Polish twice a year on all my cars for the past 20+ years without incident of fade/peeling or any other paint issues.
              Works for me!
              Foxy

2010 NT Did Auto ACTiV. MM Tow Bar. ARB Bar, 50mm Raised Suspension, BFG A/T's, Tinted Windows, Red Arc remote head brake controller, Uniden UHF, Airtec Snorkel, Rhino Pioneer Basket, 81litre Long Range Tank (finally!!)

Bushskinz under body still to come one day.

Comment

• evileerf
                • Oct 2010
                • Australia(+61)

wd40 works a treat too

Comment

• markandliz
                  • Jul 2009
                  • Perth WA

Originally posted by Pabs855 View Post
                  Hi, we are headed out back in a couple of weeks and are concerned about hoppers/locusts getting into the cooling cores. Any suggestions as to how to put an insect screen on the front ? I have genuine MMA nudge bar and driving light fitted which makes it a little more difficult.
                  Arb sell the metal mess type fits permantly to the grille using screws and plastic fittings
                  or you can use shade cloth or flyscreen

Comment

• Pabs855
                    • Sep 2009
                    • Narellan Vale (NSW)

Insect Screen Revisited

Just got back from a 3 week trip (towing a van) from Sydney up the coast, out to Charleville, Bourke, Lightning Ridge, Dubbo and Bathurst. The Paj did not miss a beat.
                    Before I went I made a screen for the lower grille from "SAAS" metal mesh (Supercheap) and put a rubber edging (Clark Rubber) around it. I attached it with a couple of cable ties and is easily removed. It caught lot's of hoppers, moths etc. The driving lights stopped the bugs from entering the top grille. No overheating even up Mt.Victoria. Pictures of the screen and it's catch are attached.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• evileerf
                      • Oct 2010
                      • Australia(+61)

Pabs - great work. When do you start selling them?

Comment

• The Commodore
                        Valued Member
                        • Nov 2009
                        • Macarthur Region NSW.

Well Done Pabs855

As soon as I've finished the little project I'm on now I'm off to get some mesh!
                        As I said in a previous post we had not seen any big bugs this trip. Well we completed 6,000 K's in the four weeks and still didn't see any and that was across NSW, S.A. and Vic., lucky this trip I guess.

Did you get them in large clouds and did the lights really stop them going into the radiator, did you get enough in the radiator to put a grill across there next time?

I went to the trouble to fit a bonnet protector this trip and take it off when we're just short tripping around town etc. as I think they look crook.

Regards.....Keith.
                        Regards.....Keith.

Comment

• Pabs855
                          • Sep 2009
                          • Narellan Vale (NSW)

Keith,
                          The lights did really stop them getting in. Only one went thru even though they were hitting the bonnet and windscreen. I had a screen for the top grille but did not use it. The hoppers were not in clouds and most seemed to be on the road. They jumped up as you approached and most hit the lower parts of the Paj.
                          Paul.

Comment

• The Commodore
                            Valued Member
                            • Nov 2009
                            • Macarthur Region NSW.

Thanks Paul, as there's not much to do with this rain around I will probably look at making a mesh for the main grill as well.

Regards.....Keith.
                            Regards.....Keith.

Comment

• rosahan
                              • Apr 2010
                              • Heidelberg Vic

Hi All.
                              We have been away for a couple of weeks and have not been observing the forum very much so this reply is a bit late. I used shade cloth as it is relatively soft and the locusts do not splatter on it but tend to hit, die and fall off. Also I took the number plate off and mounted it on the nudge bar. The shade cloth covers all the way down past the nudge bar mounts and is velcroed around them. I also made a small screen for the intercooler and cable tied it to the metal mesh. Kept an eye on the temp guage while towing and have never had a problem with reduced air flow potentially making the engine run hotter.
                              Lindsay
                              Landcruiser 200 series 2012 Diesel VX with similar set up to the Paj.
                              New Jayco Sterling van 23.72.1 bought December 13
                              Have now sold our 2010 MY10 GLS Auto DID,Cool Silver.
                              Home made rear shelf, provision for 2nd battery in dicky seat space, roof bars, nudge bar and Varta driving lights . Other Toys: 1971 MGB & Benson Clubman Kart, Boat out of use at the moment. 25 ft caravan bought Feb 2010. Lots of touring to come. More hobbies than time allows.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X