Below Nav Bar

Collapse

2H to 4H how long till lights stop flashing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Smjack56
    • Aug 2016
    • Medowie

2H to 4H how long till lights stop flashing.

We have a Pajero Sports 2016 and it’s taking ages to switch from 2H to 4H.
    No matter if we stop and select 4H or if we change it while driving 60kmh on a straight section of road.
    We took it in to be checked at the dealer and they say there is nothing wrong.

What is your experience with changing between. 2H and 4H.... or the other way around.
  • WHID
    • Oct 2019
    • Melbourne

Upon changing from 2H to 4H and the other way, I too have noticed that the illuminated icons in the dash take some time to settle down to indicate the mode selected - I found it quite disconcerting also.

Upon making the selection, I think the actual change has been effected pretty much instantly though.

I'd also be interested to hear other's views.

It's a little like the electric park-brake indicator light too. The brake is activated/deactivated instantly, but there is a (slight) delay in the illumination/extinguishment of the light in the dash.
    Paj. Sport Exceed MY2019 - 'Genuine' Tow Bar / Boo's Bash Plates / SS Hoops on an Ironman Bull Bar with Recovery Points / 7" 48W LED Driving Lights / Western Filters/Provent 200 Catch Can / at 3,400km, its first pin-stripes - *he winces*

Comment

• littleriver
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2013
      • Queensland

Try a bit of load and unloading on the accelerator whilst driving.. should speed up the process...
      Last edited by littleriver; 14-06-20, 12:48 AM.
      2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• Nairbr
        • Feb 2016
        • Perth

I ve found taking your foot off the accelorator and coasting speeds up the process

Comment

• swilson150
          • May 2020
          • Glen Waverley

The lights flash until the shift to whatever drive is completed.

The best way to do this is:

1. Be travelling in a straight line

2. The load needs to come off the driveline. That mean no acceleration or de-acceleration. So use the throttle carefully to find the point when the load is near zero, that'll be when it changes to the desired setting.

In some modes you may feel a light clunk as the change occurs, although most people wouldn't notice this unless trying to detect it.

Comment

• Greg Grey Grumbly
            • Aug 2012
            • Brisbane, Southside

Having owned three Pajeros, I can agree the Super Select system can appear quirky at times but it is normal behaviour. This system is well known and used in all later Pajeros and I suppose Tritons.

As others other have pointed out, the trick is to unload the drive system when a 2H/4H selection is made. That is: drive in a straight line and take the foot off the accelerator, you may have to repeat this a couple of times if it seems slow. Also slight steering from side to side also helps. It goes without say but I’ll say it anyway, 4HLC and 4L are only ever made at rest.

And just another point, this system does not like front and rear tyres that are different diameters, ie: new tyres on the fron that are 80% worn and back with say 50% wear. It seems to load up the transmission.
            Greg Grey Grumbly

2018 QE Pajero Sport GLS, Factory Accessories: Alloy Bull Bar, Tow Bar, Underbody Protection, Aftermarket: Uniden CB, Redarc Electric Brake Controller, Bushman Cooler, Rhino Roof Bars; Full Tint, OCAM Extendable Tow Mirrors, Fridge Tie Down Racks, Kickass Battery Box with Projecta DC DC charger, King KCRS-23 with the Peddars 5899 bump stops, Almac Boat Loader, Almac Outboard Slide, Provent catch can, More to come
            Tows a 2015 Billabong Grove 186

Comment

• WHID
              • Oct 2019
              • Melbourne

Originally posted by Greg Grey Grumbly View Post
              . . . Super Select system can appear quirky at times . . . the trick is to unload the drive system . . . when a 2H/4H selection is made. . . . drive in a straight line and take the foot off the accelerator, you may have to repeat this a couple of times . . . Also slight steering from side to side also helps. It goes without saying, but I’ll say it anyway, 4HLC and 4L are only ever made at rest.
              . . . this system does not like front and rear tyres that are different diameters, ie: new tyres on the fron that are 80% worn and back with say 50% wear. It . . . load(s) up the transmission.
              Blimey! Thanks for that Greg. It's something that has 'bothered' me too. Talk about an idiosyncratic system! Wow!

Let's hope MM (for its sake) remedies this kind of malarky before it makes the 'Sport' its flagship 4WD SUV.

Cheers . . .
              Paj. Sport Exceed MY2019 - 'Genuine' Tow Bar / Boo's Bash Plates / SS Hoops on an Ironman Bull Bar with Recovery Points / 7" 48W LED Driving Lights / Western Filters/Provent 200 Catch Can / at 3,400km, its first pin-stripes - *he winces*

Comment

• Kingbrown
                Valued Member
                • Apr 2012
                • Port Augusta - SA

Yes, it is a proper disgrace when the pilot has to actually provide some reasoned input to get things to function instantly.
                2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• Scrambler
                  • Jul 2018
                  • Toowoomba, Qld

Originally posted by WHID View Post
                  Blimey! Thanks for that Greg. It's something that has 'bothered' me too. Talk about an idiosyncratic system! Wow!

Let's hope MM (for its sake) remedies this kind of malarky before it makes the 'Sport' its flagship 4WD SUV.

Cheers . . .
                  The system has worked the same way for more than 25 years.

The locking into position requires the vacuum tubes to be working (as confirmed by the dealer in this case) but otherwise the mechanics move as described above. The modern system is activated by electrical rather than mechanical valves but these don't cause the trouble. It's the load- carrying mechanicals that need to slide and lock.

They do tend to move when needed. I find vibration helpful: driving a corrugated road as an example.
                  =-( Sadly bought back: 99 NL Shortie. In a-peeling blue
                  =-) Happily replaced by: 98 NL LWB Diesel

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X