• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sharkcaver
    "2000"+ Valued Contributor
    • May 2009
    • Perth

Originally posted by GrumpySmurf View Post
    Sorry to drag up an old post but i thought it would be better than starting a new one.
    I bought a used NT diesel with a Long Ranger aux tank. It has the dual filler holes behind the cap.
    The first time i filled it up today and the diesel nozzle from a standard diesel pump would not go into the hole?! Is this normal? I had to aim the diesel into the holes with the nozzle just outside the holes. I did check 3 times it was diesel. And it was not a fast flow.

Also, what would happen if the main tank is full and someone turns on the transfer pump? Would there be a whole mess of diesel overflowing?
    I have had a long ranger and now an LRA. Both of them would accept a larger hi flow nozzle - just.

If you transfer into a full main, it will escape via the breather tube and flow back to the aux, until room was made in the main. So unless the hoses haven't been fitted correctly, there should be no spill.
    MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• ant_schomacker
      • Feb 2017
      • Coen (Cape York)

Originally posted by GrumpySmurf View Post
      Sorry to drag up an old post but i thought it would be better than starting a new one.
      I bought a used NT diesel with a Long Ranger aux tank. It has the dual filler holes behind the cap.
      The first time i filled it up today and the diesel nozzle from a standard diesel pump would not go into the hole?! Is this normal? I had to aim the diesel into the holes with the nozzle just outside the holes. I did check 3 times it was diesel. And it was not a fast flow.

Also, what would happen if the main tank is full and someone turns on the transfer pump? Would there be a whole mess of diesel overflowing?
      Try turning the nozzle one way or the other while you’re filling the tank... my main tank fills much better if the handle of the nozzle is at about the 8 o’clock position. It can be a tight fit depending on which way the nozzle faces though.

Comment

• El_Freddo
        Valued Member
        • Nov 2018
        • Bridgewater, Vic

Anyone able to provide a pic of the following for the LRA tank

- the rear rhs tank mount bolt location (81L non AC unit - I’m looking for the mount point on the body)

- dual filler neck from behind the guard

- full pic of the steel pipe section to the aux tank

We’ve got an NP DiD and I’ve managed to pick up a second hand tank and dual filler neck from two independent sources. The filler neck is apparently from a Gen2 but looks like the advertised Gen3 unit. Only difference I can see atm is the mounting bolt pattern - but we’re looking at changing/sorting that out.

The pics would help me visualise the fitment with all the hoses etc as I can’t find a fitting document that includes a diagram of the hoses etc.

I’m looking forward to having this fitted (DIY)!

Cheers

Bennie
        2005 NP DiD auto. The family bus. Dual batteries, snorkel, one side step, King Springs lift, Koni shocks, rear airman airbags, Provent catch can, 81L LRA tank (awesome!). Other rides: "Ruby Scoo" my lifted L series Subaru and my "Redback" Targa top Brumby - only mods are 5 poster bullbar and nicer dashboard from a coupe

Comment

• nj swb
          Resident
          • Jun 2007
          • Adelaide

I can't help with pics, but I do know that m_and_m kept the aux tank from his NP, and installed it in his NX. I don't recall that he had any significant issues with the Gen 3 - Gen 4 swap.
          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• El_Freddo
            Valued Member
            • Nov 2018
            • Bridgewater, Vic

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
            I can't help with pics, but I do know that m_and_m kept the aux tank from his NP, and installed it in his NX. I don't recall that he had any significant issues with the Gen 3 - Gen 4 swap.
            Thanks NJ, I realise the tank will fit from Gen3 to Gen4. The only fitting hardware I have is the dual filler neck from a Gen2. It seems the only difference is the mounting holes - four as opposed to three on the NP - think I’ll make a sandwich plate to make it work without making extra holes in the NP.

I don’t have the steel filler pipe section to aux tank so would like to see the shape of one that’s fitted already.

As for the rear rhs mount, I can’t find a captive nut for this - the only thing I can find in that general area is a hole in the thin sheet metal with a rubber grommet over it. I highly doubt a rivnut was fitted to this hole for that rear mount. I could be wrong on its location though. I’m keen as mustard to dummy fit it on Saturday to see where that mount lines up to!

I’ve got to look for a gauge/switch combo, low priority as I can run the wiring for this and fit the gauge at a later date - I’ll just operate from a switch until then.

Cheers

Bennie
            2005 NP DiD auto. The family bus. Dual batteries, snorkel, one side step, King Springs lift, Koni shocks, rear airman airbags, Provent catch can, 81L LRA tank (awesome!). Other rides: "Ruby Scoo" my lifted L series Subaru and my "Redback" Targa top Brumby - only mods are 5 poster bullbar and nicer dashboard from a coupe

Comment

• Phil
              Valued Member
              • Aug 2008
              • Sydney

Hope these help.

I may have the fitting instruction somewhere, If required.
              Attached Files
              MY05 NP DiD Auto Platinum. Custom scratches. ARB bar & 12000lbs winch. Maxxis Bighorns. BushSkinz Bash plates & slidders. TJM auto guard. Gear box, trans & diff breathers. Rhino racks & Pod. Awning with LED. Dual batteries. HID Narva 225's. Airtec snorkel. 2" Lovell/Bilstein lift. GME TX3500. Wetseat covers. Pioneer BT deck. Cargo barrier. Beaudesert exhaust. Rear storage & CF80. ARB onboard air. NS 18s for the black top, 80L LRA tank. HPD Catch Can. HPD Intercooler.

Comment

• El_Freddo
                Valued Member
                • Nov 2018
                • Bridgewater, Vic

Originally posted by Phil View Post
                Hope these help.

I may have the fitting instruction somewhere, If required.
                Thanks Phil!

If possible to PM the fitting instructions that’d be awesome. I’m namely after the diagram of all the pipe work.

Thanks heaps!

Cheers

Bennie

Comment

• sharkcaver
                  • May 2009
                  • Perth

Fitting instructions can be downloaded from LRA. There are no diagrams, only words.
                  MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• El_Freddo
                    Valued Member
                    • Nov 2018
                    • Bridgewater, Vic

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
                    Fitting instructions can be downloaded from LRA. There are no diagrams, only words.
                    That’s frustrating, the instructions reference a diagram of the pipe work.

Cheers

Bennie

Comment

• El_Freddo
                      Valued Member
                      • Nov 2018
                      • Bridgewater, Vic

This is the rear rhs mount that I’m after details about. It seems like a weak option to just fit a rivnut into the sheet metal above this mount and call it good:

Am I missing a bracket in here? It’s the 80L tank, no rear AC.

I’ve seen an almost identical NP in benders but it was moving and I doubt I’ll see it again anytime soon. It was a GLX with the drop tank, so would be ideal to compare with!

Any help appreciated!

Cheers

Bennie

Edit by admin: please don't insert large images; some browsers don't handle them well.

Comment

• sharkcaver
                        • May 2009
                        • Perth

Yes. there is a bracket that bolts to the vehicle. That RHS bracket has a bolt that protrudes down and mates with the welded tab on the tank in your picture. Just a tip, resize your pic before posting...rather frustrating having to scroll the screen up and down to see the contents of your pic.

Also note, a front mount bracket is also required. And if you have a 5 seater or no 3rd row seat hoops, you will require additional floor reinforcing plates - don't ask me how I know

you could call LRA direct for all your enquiries. You will need to call them for your brackets anyhow.

Attached: a pic of the left and right rear brackets required.
                        Attached Files

My Journeys

Comment

• Pwoffey
                          Valued Member
                          • Jul 2013
                          • Adelaide

Various posts on this thread:

and on this thread:

tell the often sad stories of Sharkcaver and me with respect to both the rear and forward fixings for the 81L LRA tank.

With the revised (gusseted) rear fixings and the addition of load-sharing reinforcing plates for the front fixings, I have not had further issues, including on a pretty testing trip through Arnhem Land earlier this year. However the shadow of nj swb's comment on the lack of flex inherent in the 4 mounting points system still hovers, and I check the mounts very frequently.

As Shane advises, speak to LRA about exactly what you need to do to ensure reliability of your installation.
                          BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front and 88 rear shocks with KIngs 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Kaon cargo barrier, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears

Comment

• El_Freddo
                            Valued Member
                            • Nov 2018
                            • Bridgewater, Vic

Thanks sharkcaver!

That explains it perfectly! I’ve got the other two mounts, this one was the mystery.

Sorry about the pics. I’ve uploaded them from my phone but haven’t worked out how to downsize them yet. Then I’m fooled into thinking it’s all good as my phone displays all of my pics properly.

Thanks for the heads up on that. I’ll have to jump on the computer and get the downsized images sorted.

Tank is currently dummy fitted and I’m confident that I know what I need to do in the plumbing department

Cheers

Bennie

Comment

• El_Freddo
                              Valued Member
                              • Nov 2018
                              • Bridgewater, Vic

So it’s finally done. What a headache!

My own fault - should’ve got the fitting kit that I was quote at $600 from LRA last year from memory. I *think* it had everything I would’ve needed. But no, I decided to save some coin and piece it together myself.

I fabricated the missing mount. I sourced a Gen2 dual filler unit - not a direct fit even though I was confident it was - didn’t even think about the Gen2 having its fuel filler on the opposite side of the vehicle (didn’t find out until after buying the unit). Not happy. Had it modded. Might yet have it further modded to be a more snug fit against the mud guard.

All the little bits required added up quickly. Hoses, clamps, pump, filter... no details on where to mount the pump or filter so wasted ages working out a solution. Ended up using two captive nuts above the front of the tank on the RHS in a body rail. Should make some good noise when the tank is empty.

I’m yet to fill it with diesel, only just finished the install this evening. I need to resize pics before I post them.

I also sourced two petrol filler pipe pieces to the fuel tank. Same as the diesel except for two breather lines. Doing this allowed me to retain our original filler neck and pipe setup if we wish to reverse or mod the current setup (some changes to pipe work might still happen yet so I’m 100% happy with the setup).

I recoloured the tank satin black. Looks great!

Cheers

Bennie

PS: thanks to Phil and Sharkcaver for the pics you shared, they were referenced numerous times and were very helpful. My inner guard “artwork” looks like a big jumble of black spaghetti!!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X