Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 2 Pajero

Generation 2 Pajero NH - NL Models 1991 - 2000

Old 16 Hours Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussieguy View Post
Can someone please explain how some NL's have Takata Air bags and outhers have different brand air bag?

it really depends on what was available at the time of build. if NADI had a shortage back then, they may have sourced inflators from Takata, or Autoliv, or numerous other suppliers.
Old 16 Hours Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharb View Post
That is my thoughts as well.

VSB 14 covers lots of relatively simple, common modifications, some that still require engineering certification but to me this is typically because a registration officer may not have the mechanical knowledge to check the mod meets the conditions, parameters of VSB 14.

Other modifcations outside of VSB 14 still occur. Think of dual rear axle conversions, or GVM upgrades.

These are more extensive modifications that may require testing to prove compliance with relevant ADRs or state requirements.

I wouldn't be surprised if alternative airbags fall into this category, requiring "testing" to prove compliance.

I have quoted VSB 14's commetns on steering wheels it does not stipulate that an airbag wheel can or can not be replaced with a non airbag wheel ---- it only states that it can be any wheel offered as an option to that model/year /make of vehicle --- so can we put a magna airbag wheel in a pajero - no - a 380 one - no a NJ one --- no another NL one ---- yes - and there is no stipulation that it has to have an airbag just be an option available to that model
Happy to be proven wrong show me in VSB where it says a vehicle that only has to comply with ADR 10 has to have an airbag fitted if there was one factory fitted...

remember NL pajeros DO NOT have to comply with adr 69 it was only done as n option

I took this up with DOT in WA and they said yes it seems it is a loop hole but as it has to be permmited/certified it will not be allowed as it is not in the spirit of maintaining a vehicles safety features.... even though that safety feature makes the vehicle a"death trap" as has been mentioned over and over again

.... and 1990 Nissan Z32 300zx for on road shenanigans
Old 16 Hours Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcidra View Post
I don't think so. It all stems from our Product Safety / Consumer Laws. https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...&postcount=286

A replacement airbag inflator is currently not available so a buy-back is the only option immediately availabe to MMA to limit its liability and stave off being forced into a compulsory recall by the ACCC.
Where did I state that the parts were available?
It was a comment in reference to the claims of a $4000 airbag being worth more than the car.
Old 15 Hours Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumagoo View Post

Happy to be proven wrong show me in VSB where it says a vehicle that only has to comply with ADR 10 has to have an airbag fitted if there was one factory fitted...
I keep on seeing ADR10 quoted but if you look at https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2006L02687
You will see that it lists this with regards ADR10:
Off-road passenger vehicle-- MC-- Not applicable

This to me says that even the basic ADR10 does not apply to our Pajero's only passenger cars.

Tom

1953 Morris Minor ute
1990 Nissan Scargo van
2008 Mercedes W211 e280 CDI sport
2003 Ford Transit
Old 15 Hours Ago
Valued Member

I think we need to start a new thread that only states the facts, not thoughts, opinions or here say.
Old 15 Hours Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj swb View Post
I know bugger all about airbags - is it feasible to replace just the inflator, and not the whole assembly?
i'm no expert either but it appears as if you can, maybe wasn't offered as a separate part by MMA.

https://cnjashine.en.made-in-china.c...-Inflator.html
Old 13 Hours Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwithannl View Post
I keep on seeing ADR10 quoted but if you look at https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2006L02687
You will see that it lists this with regards ADR10:
Off-road passenger vehicle-- MC-- Not applicable

This to me says that even the basic ADR10 does not apply to our Pajero's only passenger cars.

Tom

well in that case what ADR covers the steering wheels of MC class because its not 69....

That's really interesting though if there is no governing ADR's for MC class vehicles in regard to steering wheels then there is no reason we cant

Looked up 10/00 does not apply to MC but 10/01 is what covers MC class vehicles --- and that was last ammended 06

.... and 1990 Nissan Z32 300zx for on road shenanigans
Old 9 Hours Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumagoo View Post
well in that case what ADR covers the steering wheels of MC class because its not 69....

That's really interesting though if there is no governing ADR's for MC class vehicles in regard to steering wheels then there is no reason we cant

Looked up 10/00 does not apply to MC but 10/01 is what covers MC class vehicles --- and that was last ammended 06
If you look further down on the ADR 10/1 you will find this "10.2. REQUIREMENTS

10.2.0. This Australian Design Rule applies to vehicle categories LEP, MA, MB, and to ‘Forward-control Vehicles’ of categories MC, MD1, MD2 and to LEG and NA excepting ‘Chassis-cab’ vehicles."
Pajeros are not a forward control.

Then there is 10/2 which states it only applies to MC class of offroad vehicles (Pajero's) built after 1st January 2010

I honestly can't find any ADR 10- rule that covers NL Pajero's at all.

Tom

1953 Morris Minor ute
1990 Nissan Scargo van
2008 Mercedes W211 e280 CDI sport
2003 Ford Transit