• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stevemc181
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2012
    • Thornlie/Perth

Originally posted by Nik View Post
    Hey guys, just logged on after a long time away from the forum and checked out the trip updates. Sounds like a lot has been going on and a bit of an epic trip in terms of difficulty. Glad everyone made it home safely, even if not much of the gear did. Will keep an eye out for the trip report. Cheers Nik
    G'day Nik,
    It wasn't too bad, just a few dramas along the way, but as you said, we at least made it home. There are plenty of vehicle wrecks and trailers out there that didn't!
    Would have been good to have you along for the trip.It will take me a while to get a trip report up, as I will be flat out at work from Monday, but I'll get one up as time allows. This weekend is taken up cleaning up the Paj.
    2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
    3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• sharkcaver
      "2000"+ Valued Contributor
      • May 2009
      • Perth

A lot was going on for sure. We are all well over corrugations, tin foil hats and alien probing

MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• GHendo
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2012
        • Northern NSW

Good to see you all made it home in one piece albeit a bit worse for wear. I didn’t realise Borat was on the trip with you !!

Geoff
        03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• Morville
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2008
          • Buxton Vic

Mate, with the phallic adornments on our headgear, you can see that we were ready to retaliate.
          Peter

Comment

• Nik
            Valued Member
            • Sep 2010
            • Perth

Ha ha looks like you had good fun. Shame I couldn't make it, but been busy with other things the last 12 months or so. Will try to make it out on some of the local trips again and hopefully catch up by the camp fire for a few beers with everyone again.

The makini was just for the CSR I'm hoping .. and won't be seen on the local trips yeah ????
            2005 NP Platinum 3.2 DID Auto, Lovells HD springs, Bilstein shocks, Firestone Airbags, ARB bar, Warn XD 9000 winch, IPF 900 Xtreme Sport lights, Bushskinz intercooler & sump guards, Outback Accessories rock sliders, GME 3200 UHF, CTEK Dc to Dc Dual Battery system, 265/75/16 General Grabber AT2 tyres, Torque Converter lock-up kit, Safari snorkel, Taipan high performance exhaust, LRA 66lt long range fuel tank.

Comment

• sharkcaver
              • May 2009
              • Perth

Originally posted by Nik View Post
              The makini was just for the CSR I'm hoping .. and won't be seen on the local trips yeah ????
              He has been told - if it comes out again, he will be banned
              MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Morville
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2008
                • Buxton Vic

Well we made it home to Victoria late Tuesday totally knackered after the long adventure and spent yesterday recuperating and unpacking. We had travelled 3200km aftrr farewelling Steve, Brenda and Shane 100 km west of Kalgoorlie last Thursday.
                We both thoroughly enjoyed the experience and the cameraderie and friendship of our travelling companions. Our RG Colorado performed almost faultlessly for the total trip of 10,348km which took in the Oodnadatta Track, Tanami Road which we travelled solo and then the CSR. We had a failed starting battery at Oodnadatta and had to buy another there which was not the correct size and didn't fit properly and couldn't be fastened down but it got us to Alice Springs where we could buy the correct battery,so we carried the Oodnadatta battery for the rest of the trip as it will suit our tractor at home. However it did power our diesel pump at well 23 fuel dump.
                Apart from the battery and a worrying knock in the suspension at Kunawarritji which we narrowed down to a rear spring eye bush that a spray of silicone spray fixed we had no other troubles. our only breakages for the whole trip was a plastic tub containing pots and pans, a washing dish and a kettle that all got broken when a gas cylinder got loose in the back.
                The Colorado had upgraded suspension prior to the trip with Ironman heavy duty springs 600kg plus springs and Ironman foam cell shocks. With all our camping, cooking, clothes, food and up to 300L diesel and 58L water we would have been well over our GVM of 3150kg.
                We feel a bit guilty bringing another make vehicle on a Pajero Forum trip and be the only one within our group not to have mechanical problems.
                A trip full of memories that will last a lifetime but we wouldn't want to do the CSR again. with more people doing it each year the road will only get worse over time with more vehicle failures.
                Both Steve and Shane doing an excellent job in detailing the trip in the Trekking around Oz section of this forum which we are avidly reading to recall our wonderful experiences together.
                Peter and Willie
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Morville; 18-08-16, 10:25 AM.

Comment

• Amok
                  • Dec 2016
                  • Sydney

Wow amazing thread! any trip like this is bound to have issues.

Just watched Ronnie Dahls recent trip to the Kimberleys and even their well-setup Landcruisers had their fair share of trouble.

How would you guys rate the Pajero for a trip like this? I would love to attempt it one day.
                  MY17 NX GLX with too much cash blown on it

Comment

• sharkcaver
                    • May 2009
                    • Perth

Originally posted by Amok View Post
                    Wow amazing thread! any trip like this is bound to have issues.

Just watched Ronnie Dahls recent trip to the Kimberleys and even their well-setup Landcruisers had their fair share of trouble.

How would you guys rate the Pajero for a trip like this? I would love to attempt it one day.
                    Drive to the conditions, have the vehicle set up for those conditions, have all after market accessories proven and reduce weight as much as possible and I would rate the Paj as good as any other vehicle. Its not a technical drive, but its hard on vehicles, be that Paj or any other. I would do things differently next time, reducing weight being the first order of business - which is a bit of a misnomer, any trip of two weeks duration without resupply is going to be weighty. I left town with 4 weeks supply onboard - fuel excluded.

My Journeys

Comment

• Amok
                      • Dec 2016
                      • Sydney

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
                      Drive to the conditions, have the vehicle set up for those conditions, have all after market accessories proven and reduce weight as much as possible and I would rate the Paj as good as any other vehicle. Its not a technical drive, but its hard on vehicles, be that Paj or any other. I would do things differently next time, reducing weight being the first order of business - which is a bit of a misnomer, any trip of two weeks duration without resupply is going to be weighty. I left town with 4 weeks supply onboard - fuel excluded.
                      Thanks for the reply, good to know. Will be doing a cape york trip this year first so it’ll be a good first long trip.
                      MY17 NX GLX with too much cash blown on it

Comment

• stevemc181
                        Valued Member
                        • Sep 2012
                        • Thornlie/Perth

Yep, as sharkcaver said, reduce the weight and reduce the speed. There were plenty of other types of vehicles having shockie problems. The Paj isn't any worse than others in the suspension department. Maybe the monocoque body transmits the vibrations a bit more and the dash likes to try jumping out the window! But take it slow and steady and glue in your false teeth if you have them!
                        2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
                        3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X