• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YOLO
    • Aug 2013
    • victoria

Help with light bar install

Hi,

Am trying to install a light bar to the Pajero and i cannot get it to work.

The light bar is a 20" from 4wdsupacentre. and the wiring loom i got from Stedi.com.

Everything wired up as per wiring loom instructions but the light bar will not work.

What i have done/checked :

1. Fuse at relay - ok

2. Battery Voltage - 13.0v -13.8v with engine running

3. Light bar switch - on when HI-Beam is on

4. Light bar - Ok on idependent DC supply and car battery.

Is there anything else to check or have i blown anything?

Help / advice would be appreciated.

OH - I am using H9 - Piggy back adaptors to connect to Hi beam

Thanks
  • Keithyv
    Valued Member
    • May 2018
    • Perth

You’ll need to provide a diagram of what you’ve connected where.
    Usually +ve from high beam trigger would go through a switch then to a relay. Relay then switches the high current feed to the load.
    Is the earth good on the light bar?
    2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
    MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• NWDarwin
      • Jun 2018
      • Canberra

Can you hear the relay switching on and off? Check voltages in and out of the switch and like Keithyv said check earths.

Comment

• YOLO
        • Aug 2013
        • victoria

Diagram i do not have as it is a pre wired loom.

Check this - https://www.stedi.com.au/single-conn...h-current.html

Ground Wire / Black is connected directly to Battery.

Not too sure what you mean when you say light bar needs good earth. Light bar works on touching both pins to battery .

I have changed the relay as they first sent me a loom with the Connector broken. Luckily i did not send the loom back . Have tried that loom/relay as well and still no luck.

Thanks

Comment

• Keithyv
          Valued Member
          • May 2018
          • Perth

Without a diagram that loom is just a bunch of wires and a relay so really tells us nothing.

The 2nd diagram here is really the simplest way to explain it.

We frequently get asked “should I install a relay with the lights?”  The answer is YES! We also suggest adding a fuse.  It is good practise and should not be ignored. Here are two diagrams showing you how to connect them using a relay. You will have to adjust the current ratings for the light you are using. In this case the light do not take more than 10A. That is 120W max. If you are installing lights over 100W it is advisable to multiply the required drain by a factor of 1.2 or more. In other words if you are installing a 330W light bar that has a max drain of 27.5A  then you should select  fuse and wiring of over 33A. What is a Relay? A relay is an electrical switch.  It allows a low current “switch” circuit to control the electricity flow of a high-current circuit. Do I Need A Relay? When you are not using a relay, the control switch needs to be able to handle the full current of the installed lights.  For lower powered lights it is possible to do so, but it is generally good practice to install a switch with an in-line fuse.  When the current increases, this switch needs to be big.  For anything above 30W we recommend installing a relay.  If you do not install a relay and use a switch, you could end up overheating the switch, melting the wires, and reducing the current that is getting to your lights, making them less bright. How to Wire your Light Using a Relay The relay will have 4 points on it, marked 30, 87, 85 and 86.  That is kind of cryptic, isn’t it? The left side is the pin out of the point is sticking out from at the bottom and the the right side is showing a schematic representation of the relay circuitry. 30 and 87 create the switch to your lights.  By default this switch is open, so the current cannot get from the battery to your lights. 30 – is your power source for your light.  It connects to the positive (+) side of your battery or to a switched power source that only gets power when your ignition is on.87 – goes to the positive side of your LED lights. 85 and 86 use electrical current to create a magnetic force, which then closes the 30 to 87 switch and allows the electricity to flow to your lights.  Without this current, no magnetic force is created, so the 30 to 87 switch stays open, and your lights stay off. 85 – connects to the power source that you want controlling the switch.  For example you could splice a wire off your high beam wire or off your backup light wire86 – connect to a ground. (Note: 85 and 86 can be reversed). You can visit our Online Store if you are from North America and would like to purchase our products online.  “What if I don’t always want my LED Lights to come on with my high beams or backup lights?” That is easy to do. Just install a dashboard switch inline with the control line.  When the dashboard switch is off the high beams will not be able to turn on the relay. Uncertain how to do this yourself?  Have a look at our prewired Relay Wiring Harness for one light with an up to 180W rating.  source :  https://extremeledlightbars.com/how-to-wire-a-relay-for-off-road-led-lights
          MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• wazznt
            • May 2015
            • Western Vic

So have you got your headlights lights on high beam ,driving lights shouldn't work in conjunction with low beam .
            As asked previously does the led on switch light up and the relay click in ,if not its wired wrong.
            Or dodgy piggy back connector possibly , you need to the check harness for polarity and connectivity with a multimeter.
            Last edited by wazznt; 15-09-19, 03:13 PM.
            NT Exceed ,almost stock .

Comment

• NWDarwin
              • Jun 2018
              • Canberra

It’s not a 24V relay is it?

Comment

• Keithyv
                Valued Member
                • May 2018
                • Perth

Is there power on the input to the relay? (Pin 30 on my earlier link)

Comment

• YOLO
                  • Aug 2013
                  • victoria

Switch only comes on when high beam is on. No Cannot hear any clicking of the relay.

The wires to the relay are all in a sealed plug type of thing.

Maybe i will return the loom and make my own as it does not look too difficult to make.

thanks for all the suggestions

Comment

• Allan2
                    • May 2013
                    • Mid Nort Coast, NSW

What I did was... The low current side of the relay (86,85) I wired to both wires that go to the headlight high beam, reason is the Pajero is wired with a switching to earth system to establish hi or low beam. On the high current side of the relay (30) goes to the battery through a fuse and terminal (87) goes to the light. The black wire from the light goes to earth, if the light wires are connected around the wrong way the light won't work. If you want to put a switch in so you can turn off the light bar place a switch on one of the wires coming from or to either terminals 86,85. Let us know how you go. This worked for me.
                    Allan
                    2009 NT, 3.2 Auto, D/Lights & Light Bar, EGR mod, Sump and Inter Cooler Guards, Tow Bar, Bog Standard.

Comment

• Allan2
                      • May 2013
                      • Mid Nort Coast, NSW

Better explain that a bit better. one hi beam wire to terminal 85 on the relay the other high beam wire to terminal 86 on the relay.
                      Allan
                      2009 NT, 3.2 Auto, D/Lights & Light Bar, EGR mod, Sump and Inter Cooler Guards, Tow Bar, Bog Standard.

Comment

• YOLO
                        • Aug 2013
                        • victoria

Hi,

SO there is no ground to relay if i am following you correctly

Thanks

Comment

• YOLO
                          • Aug 2013
                          • victoria

Allan 2 ,

Thank you ! IT works at last !

Just done a quick test by playing around with the wires and i have got it to light up. Yes thelight bar polarity is important.

Now how do i add a dash switch so light bar can be turned on and off at will .

Also I will disect my loom and try and use that .

Thanks

Comment

• NWDarwin
                            • Jun 2018
                            • Canberra

Maybe take it to an auto electrician. They’ll be able to help you out and make sure it is wired up properly/legally.

Comment

• Allan2
                              • May 2013
                              • Mid Nort Coast, NSW

Pick either wire that goes from the headlight high beam to the relay either 85 or 86, cut the wire extend one end of the wire into the cab at the location you want to put the switch from the other side of the switch run a wire back to the other end of the wire you cut. All this does is interrupt the signal to the low voltage switching side of the relay.
                              Allan.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X