• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kingmarz
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2016
    • South Island New Zealand

I say buy the rounded bolt removal socket kit and have a go yourself it will be cheaper than having a workshop remove it and you still have the handy money saving kit for next time.
    I also suggest just buying the single replacement as replacing parts that don’t wear out is a waste of money.
    02 NM Pajero 3.2 DID Auto with Snorkel, Turbosmart Dual Stage Boost Controller, Kinugawa 15T Hybrid turbo with 56mm Billet compressor wheel and extended tips, 2” lift, 3” straight through turbo back exhaust, EGR Removal, ECU Piggyback Chip, Raw Nitro shockies, 22” Black Rhino wheels & 33x12.5 mud tyres, EGT, boost and engine temp gauges, catch can, Synergy 4b Ronbox, K&N air filter, 320x300 Front mount intercooler with 3” polished inlet piping, 4 Bar MAP sensor @29psi many other mods

Comment

• erad
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2015
      • Cooma NSW

Buying a new caliper is not going to solve the problem of removing the existing unit. But if you do buy another caliper, why not go to a wrecker and get one and overhaul it with new seals - it has to be cheaper than a whole new unit.

Comment

• pharb
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2007
        • Tyers,Vic

If it is the caliper PIN bolt (14mm head) then remove whole caliper mount assembly from hub assembly (17mm bolt heads) and put assembly in vice.

Get a large nut (say for a 14mm bolt or bigger), sit over rounded bolt head and weld to bolt head.

Now you have a bigger "head" to put socket on, and the heat from welding my have caused some differential expansion to break any corrosion.

You can probably reassemble with your "reheaded" bolt until replacement arrives.
        PCOV Member 1107.
        Daily driver NX GLX
        Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
        Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
        Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• Aspey
          • Dec 2015
          • Great Southern Land

Gee thats much cheaper, Protex brand. They also have RDA Rotors. Nice find, I've saved the link.
          NP VRX DID

Comment

• Aspey
            • Dec 2015
            • Great Southern Land

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
            Did you then do a google search of the calliper part number, to see what other online prices are?

Are these front or rear callipers?

OJ.
            Rear left. $40 for the pin bolts or $153 for a new Protex Caliper. The caliper should be okay with new pins unless there's another problem.
            The Caliper looks in okay condition. The wheel is sticking (wont turn freely when jacked up) so I'm guessing it's a sticking pad.
            Getting the rounded bolt out is the problem.
            NP VRX DID

Comment

• Aspey
              • Dec 2015
              • Great Southern Land

Thanks for the reply's, I'll get a quote from a workshop (I know it's not the Pajero forums way ). I still might have another go at it. I wouldn't have kept turning the socket if I knew the bolt was just rounding.
              I was hitting the breaker bar with a hammer while pushing, should I have been hitting the socket instead to break the seal?
              My rotor measured 21mm. The spec on the side said 20.4mm min.
              Do they need replacing now or is there still some meat left on them?
              Last edited by Aspey; 02-10-20, 10:31 AM.
              NP VRX DID

Comment

• Aspey
                • Dec 2015
                • Great Southern Land

I've ordered an Irwin bolt extractor set and will spray some INOX on the caliper bolts.
                NP VRX DID

Comment

• marcthelegend
                  Valued Member
                  • Sep 2008
                  • Gosnells, WA

I've lived with the rounded bolt for a good 6 or so years now. To change the brake pads I just remove the top bolt entirely, swing the caliper free of the pads / disc and then the whole caliper with bolt just comes away. Maybe one day I'll get to replacing it but so far this method works good enough.
                  05 NP GLX 3.8 Auto. 2" Lovell/Bilstein Lift, ARB Deluxe Winch Bar, Granke mk3 12,000lbs winch, Uniden UH015sx, HID spotties, Roof mounted light bar, Work lights, Upgraded stereo, Tinting, 2.5t tow, dual battery setup (homemade), Radar Renegade tyres, wired up dummy lights, Bushskinz Sump/Intercooler plates, home-made diff breathers (front and back) and a cheap ebay snorkel.

To-do:
                  brake upgrade, oil seals (again!!)

Comment

• hinsch
                    Valued Member
                    • Jan 2010
                    • Perth

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                    Be really careful using Ezi-Outs, I have a lot of experience with these screw extractors over a 40 year period, in the aviation game we used to tell the apprentices that the reason they were called Ezi-Outs is because they were easy to break off and hard to get out!

I would be using an electric heat gun and warm the caliper area around the bolt up to about 200C the either use a 6point socket on an impact driver if there is enough bite on the bolt head or if it is too rounded off then a pair of vies grips. Either way get the area around the bolt hot, get a good grip on the bolt head, preload the socket or vice grips and then give them a whack with a hammer.

Bolts will be special so go onto Partsque with your VIN and search the part number, online will be about half the price of bolts from the dealer spare parts.

OJ.
                    Agree OldJack, same for me 40yrs in Aviation RAAF and Contractor, you break an ezi-out your f...ed, as an ex framie I know what that's like.
                    NX 2016 GLS, Graphite, Nudge Bar, Pirelli Scorpion Plus.

Comment

• Aspey
                      • Dec 2015
                      • Great Southern Land

Originally posted by marcthelegend View Post
                      I've lived with the rounded bolt for a good 6 or so years now. To change the brake pads I just remove the top bolt entirely, swing the caliper free of the pads / disc and then the whole caliper with bolt just comes away. Maybe one day I'll get to replacing it but so far this method works good enough.
                      I might have to do the same if I cant get the bolt out. The wheel wont spin freely so it may a sticking pad?
                      NP VRX DID

Comment

• disco stu
                        Valued Member
                        • Dec 2018
                        • Wollongong

Originally posted by hinsch View Post
                        Agree OldJack, same for me 40yrs in Aviation RAAF and Contractor, you break an ezi-out your f...ed, as an ex framie I know what that's like.
                        I never seen easy outs used as much as 2 weeks work experience in aviation. Chewed out my share of panel screws while I was there also. They gave me a lot of responsibility for a kid on work experience

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2019
                          • Brisbane

An easy out is ok to use if the broken bit's easy to get out!!
                          If it's hard to get out it will be fair chance you'll break the easy out & never get it out.

If your patience runs out pay someone & make it there problem, that's why you pay them

Sometimes it is best see link,

Specialized Thread Repairer & Broken Bolt Removal Service. Brisbane, Gold Coast & Sunshine Coast
                          Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• Aspey
                            • Dec 2015
                            • Great Southern Land

Can anyone confirm if the rotors on the rear of NP models are 300mm?
                            NP VRX DID

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X