• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cruisn06
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2011
    • Perth WA

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
    Same...mod must be proven to be safe , reliable and have a proven benefit....spacers dont fall into that category.
    But that is what the first post proved, did you read the kms covered and conditions/ country’s. As for benefit, that extra 60mm helps feel stable on and off-road with a roof load
    07 Mitsubishi Pajero Shorty - Currently rolling around... Parked in Armenia for the moment

Insta: https://www.instagram.com/wrongturnadventure/

Comment

• Dicko1
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2014
      • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by cruisn06 View Post
      But that is what the first post proved, did you read the kms covered and conditions/ country’s. As for benefit, that extra 60mm helps feel stable on and off-road with a roof load

I did read the whole lot mate. At the end of the day they are illegal in Australia...with good reason.

Article relating to Australian conditions..https://magazine.unsealed4x4.com.au/...re-a-dumb-idea.

What people choose to do is up to them. Injure someone else as a result and then the real pain starts.
      Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• cruisn06
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2011
        • Perth WA

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
        I did read the whole lot mate. At the end of the day they are illegal in Australia...with good reason.

Article relating to Australian conditions..https://magazine.unsealed4x4.com.au/...re-a-dumb-idea.

What people choose to do is up to them. Injure someone else as a result and then the real pain starts.
        This sorta was the whole pont of this, you come in says they are unsafe.. then link a joke of an article.

#3... more pressure on studs.. okay cause offset wheels dont do the same no?

108mm bore rims rarely if ever sit on a hub centric ring. so that also makes that point moot.

Everything is illegal here if you follow the rules to a T. so lets look past that issue. this was for people that want to do it and want legit info.

find me the stats on road accidents caused by wheel spacers. cause I can find a heap of people loosing tyres without spacers.

and as said before. wheels dont just fall off cars. you know well before.

please state some facts besides articles.
        07 Mitsubishi Pajero Shorty - Currently rolling around... Parked in Armenia for the moment

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
          Valued Member
          • Aug 2016
          • Greater Sydney

then link a joke of an article.

Every article is a joke if you don't agree with it.

Comment

• Dicko1
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2014
            • Cairns, FNQ

This sorta was the whole pont of this, you come in says they are unsafe.. then link a joke of an article.

#3... more pressure on studs.. okay cause offset wheels dont do the same no?

108mm bore rims rarely if ever sit on a hub centric ring. so that also makes that point moot.

Everything is illegal here if you follow the rules to a T. so lets look past that issue. this was for people that want to do it and want legit info.

find me the stats on road accidents caused by wheel spacers. cause I can find a heap of people loosing tyres without spacers.

and as said before. wheels dont just fall off cars. you know well before.

please state some facts besides articles.

Obviously it would do no good disagreeing with you as believe the states and territories vehicle laws are all rubbish. I,ll bet you havent told your insurance company that your running illegal spacers .

I dont need to state facts. I am relying on every Australian state and territory road laws that have deemed spacers illegal because of safety concerns. No good debating the issue on a forum...take your opinion and start lobbying your states road authorities to make spacers legal...let us know the result.

What proven facts have you disagreeing with the link I posted?...seemed pretty straight forward to me.

As I said in my previous post...I dont care what you run on your vehicle but if you have an accident and someone is seriously hurt...you can expect the investigation to mention the spacers and your vehicle will be deemed unroadworthy and then the consequences.

Last edited by Dicko1; 05-08-20, 05:22 PM.
            Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Two Emms
              Valued Member
              • Jan 2020
              • Mansfield, Vic

The conversation is getting a little frustrated, on both sides.

So just to lighten the mood, can I suggest cruisn06 that you now remove your wheel spacers and repeat all of your overseas travels to give a genuine comparison of the vehicle with and without spacers. Sorry, but its the most scientific way.
              2016 NX GLS Factory alloy bar, Provent 200 catch can, Boos bash plates (full set), Stedi light bar, 40 litre Waeco, Titan fridge slide, Kings springs, Toyo Open Country AT3s, Auto-mate, Ultragauge, Uniden 8080s, Tanami x11, more to come...

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                Valued Member
                • Aug 2016
                • Greater Sydney

Just a thought but what would I know.

As most people seem to put spacers on to fill the guards for aesthetic reasons and others fit wheels with wider offset for wider stance and to fit wider tryes why don't manufactures save them the trouble and fit them as standard or as an option?

There has to be a reason.

Comment

• cruisn06
                  Valued Member
                  • Jan 2011
                  • Perth WA

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
                  Just a thought but what would I know.

As most people seem to put spacers on to fill the guards for aesthetic reasons and others fit wheels with wider offset for wider stance and to fit wider tryes why don't manufactures save them the trouble and fit them as standard or as an option?

There has to be a reason.
                  Porcshe has, as do a lot of larger trucks, mack/kenworth for the duals. its quite common actually.

Comment

• cruisn06
                    Valued Member
                    • Jan 2011
                    • Perth WA

Originally posted by Two Emms View Post
                    The conversation is getting a little frustrated, on both sides.

So just to lighten the mood, can I suggest cruisn06 that you now remove your wheel spacers and repeat all of your overseas travels to give a genuine comparison of the vehicle with and without spacers. Sorry, but its the most scientific way.
                    But I need them for the gram dude. makes the wagon look so much better. And there is no way I am dealing with cowboy hat man in DRC border crossing again.

Ill be honest, if they ever do give me grief they will be binned.

Comment

• Miner
                      • Apr 2019
                      • Abu Dhabi

Interesting topic.... watching with interest. [emoji897][emoji16]

Ozzy vehicle rules obviously very tight.... assume it’s because the harsh remote nature of the place forces people to take a dim view of poorly lashed up vehicles? Must be a lost of issues caused rescuing idiots from the bush? No place on the corros for rogue machinery?

My perspective on the spacers... I’m a British expat living in the UAE (Jock not a POME [emoji1])... they are ubiquitous amongst lifted off-roaders here... not a as tightly regulated as down under, like all places, if it’s the cause of your wheel falling off then you’re in trouble with the law.

Apart from not being two items instead of one bolted to a hub, same ball park as massive offset wheels for me... you fit them and deal with what you get. They will alter handling somehow, tracking around the road over bumps, issues with bearings, etc. You should know what you are getting yourself into and what it may bring.

I resisted a long time... I’m a mechanical engineer, I did my homework and I understand the issues. Stayed away. Car did lose a little track when lifted. Fitted them after we started side sloping and cross cresting, car feels much more sure footed. Didn’t want to buy wide offset wheels as id just refurbished a set of OE 16” Enkei rims. Lots of cheap options but bit the billet and bought a set of 30mm H&R forged alloy ones. Not cheap but best available, TUV approved. Had them fitted by a reputable shop.

Entered into it with my eyes wide open... any issues I’ll take them off. Functional mod for me... looking cool is a bonus.

Comment

• pharb
                        Valued Member
                        • Jul 2007
                        • Tyers,Vic

Not sure of the relevance of the spacers on trucks.

They are completely different.

My old Lancia Beta had factory fitted spacers on the rear wheels.
                        6mm. I replaced them with 1/2" spacers when I replaced the 185mm wide tyres with 205mm wide so tyres wouldn't rub the suspension struts.

Shhh. Don't tell anyone.
                        PCOV Member 1107.
                        Daily driver NX GLX
                        Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
                        Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
                        Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• Pickle
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2007
                          • All over Oz

Thread closed...
                          Admin
                          NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
                          Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment