• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Obelix
    • Oct 2017
    • Perth, WA

Which Tyres for Pajero GLX 265/65/R17

I am looking for a replacement to the 265/65/R17 Dunlop AT 20 Grandtrack, and was hoping for some recommendations from your personal experiences.

These Dunlop tyres have a year or two left on the thread, but they are atrocious in wet.

I spinned the car twice in wet at slow speeds - just turning on the traffic lights to the right. Was lucky not to hit anyone, and was pretty embarrassing.

Also spinning them in wet when starting on the traffic lights, and I'm not an aggressive driver.

This is my wish list.

• Must be good in wet.
    • have a reasonabe threadwear.
    • Not made in China
    • A set under $1000

I don't drive in mud or on the rocky terrain, but drive in sand, and the general city driving.

Looking forward to your advice
  • Keithyv
    Valued Member
    • May 2018
    • Perth

Sorry I don't have any specific advice re. the tyres but in the wet you should be running in 4H. (Actually no reason ever to run in 2H in my view)

2H is just way too risky at the slightest hint of rain, greasy roads etc.
    2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
    MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• MTN-KAT
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2009
      • Gold Coast

I speak from experience too. A very valid point Keith. I used to drive in 2wd in the beginning, even in the wet but the front got skatey a few times so went to AWD every time it rains after finding the huge difference to grip that AWD makes in the wet.
      99 NL Escape 3.5L V6 LWB Wagon, "Aisin Auto", MM Alum Protector Bar, MM factory 'steel' underbody protector plates, Engine oil cooler, Transmission oil cooler, Side rails, Flares, MM Alloy wheels, HANKOOK Dynapro ATM LT tyres, Aftermarket Alarm, MM A.I.S. HPR15 Penrite engine oil. Penrite LS140 diff oil with 250ml LIMSLIP additive 7098.

Comment

• spot01
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2011
        • Adelaide

I agree with using 4H on wet roads, particularly as you are having issues.

I have had the factory Dunlop AT20, Bridgestone D840 & Yokohama factory tyres on several Pajeros. I found the Dunlops the worst on wet roads (mine were new, so I hate to think what they would be like when older, as all tyres harden with age, combined with less tread). They have a harder compound which makes them last longer but the grip was low. The Bridgestones & Yokohamas were much better, but wore more quickly, especially the Yokies. This is the usual "trade off" between grip & wear.

I haven't used them myself, but for your use I would think something like the Bridgestone D697 (available in both comfy passenger & tougher light truck versions) or the Pirelli Scorpion would be in the ballpark.

I find the Beaurepaires website is good for comparing as it shows many brands with prices. Bridgestone currently have a deal where you could get the LTs for about $900 & the Ps a bit less.
        Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• dc80
          • Jan 2019
          • Perth

I have Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws which I have been very happy with. I changed over from the factory Bridgestone H/Ts which still had some tread left but were twitchy in the wet. I have found the Wildpeaks very quiet, obviously noisier than the H/Ts being an A/T tyre but still very quiet considering. Grip has been excellent in the wet. And best of all got a buy 3 get 1 deal, $880 in total for 4 x 265/60R18s through Ian Diffen Osborne Park. I'd imagine 265/65/R17s would be the same or slightly less. I understand Tyrepower are running the buy 3 get 1 free deal at present in WA. The deal is fairly regularly run (every few months) with different Tyre chains running it (last time it was Ian Diffen). Tyres are made in Thailand, with Falken being a Japanese brand owned by Sumitomo.
          2016 NX GLS MY16 | MMA towbar | Boo's bash plates | ProVent 200 catch can | 2" Lovells MD (F+R) + Bilsteins | Stedi 28" ST4K | Falken Wildpeak AT3W 265/60R18 | Yokohama Geolandar G015 LT265/70R17 | iDRIVE | Redarc Tow Pro Elite | Nautia switch panel

Comment

• kinnean01
            • Jan 2019
            • perth

Hi Obelix

I just put Toyo AT II's on mine, seemed the right tyre for me at the same size as you. I preferred a light truck tyre, paid $250 a tyre.

When weighing up and before settling on the light truck tyres I would likely have gone with the Pirelli Scorpion AT plus as per spot01's comment. Seem to have very good wet weather reviews.

Tyrepower has 25% off Toyo's and Falken buy 3 get 1 free. No doubt others do also. I go through Bryn at Tyrepower osborne park, genuine bloke.

Comment

• alanymarce
              • Apr 2015
              • Colombia

I would choose between the Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S and the Toyo Open Country AT. After experience with Dunlops, Pirellis, and BF Goodrich we settled on the Yokohamas and they work well in the wet (we get a lot of wet...). We've switched to the Toyos recently and they seem good although we haven't experienced really heavy rains yet (this wet season has fallen in the middle of our "lockdown" so we haven't been out other than on very short trips in town for essential purposes)

Comment

• Obelix
                • Oct 2017
                • Perth, WA

Thanks guys. Exactly what I was looking for.

I would have never thought to keep it in 4H when wet.
                Is that a consensus? Everyone does that?

Comment

• old Jack
                  Regular
                  • Jun 2011
                  • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by Obelix View Post
                  Thanks guys. Exactly what I was looking for.

I would have never thought to keep it in 4H when wet.
                  Is that a consensus? Everyone does that?
                  Yes I do.
                  Why wouldnt you use 4H for the extra safety and vehicle control?
                  Wet roads 4H.
                  Dirt roads 4H.
                  Towing 4H.
                  Some people just leave it in 4H all the time, the amount of extra fuel it uses if very little but in some cases it adds to the NVH levels, this seems to be related to what tyres are being used.

OJ.
                  2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                  MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Allan2
                    • May 2013
                    • Mid Nort Coast, NSW

I agree 4H like OJ and others have mentioned. I change 2H to 4H when required believing it also keeps the 4x4 components working by that I mean it is not left in the one position all the time.
                    I am very happy with Handkook dynapro LT on my second set now a good all round tyre with excellent wear the last lot were on special buy 4 pay for 3. Rotate them every 10,000 km. Just my opinion, my 3.2 also appears to be happier when using BP diesel, quieter with a slightly better fuel range.
                    Allan
                    2009 NT, 3.2 Auto, D/Lights & Light Bar, EGR mod, Sump and Inter Cooler Guards, Tow Bar, Bog Standard.

Comment

• spot01
                      Valued Member
                      • Apr 2011
                      • Adelaide

Also worth mentioning to not get a tyre that is too aggressive for your needs, as the more aggressive treads, higher load ratings including light truck, etc., usually increase fuel consumption & noise while often reducing on road grip, braking (esp. wet), handling, comfort, etc. Tyres are always a compromise - unfortunately we can't have everything!
                      Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• old Jack
                        Regular
                        • Jun 2011
                        • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by spot01 View Post
                        Also worth mentioning to not get a tyre that is too aggressive for your needs, as the more aggressive treads, higher load ratings including light truck, etc., usually increase fuel consumption & noise while often reducing on road grip, braking (esp. wet), handling, comfort, etc. Tyres are always a compromise - unfortunately we can't have everything!
                        100% agree with Spot's comments that a tyre must suit your needs and the loads you carry, there is no tyre that is not without compromise.

Most 4wd owners run are pressures way too high for the weight of their vehicles and this reduces comfort and handling similar to underinflated tyres.

OJ.
                        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Obelix
                          • Oct 2017
                          • Perth, WA

Thanks guys. Will use the 4H in wet in the future.

Just fitted the Falken Wildpeak ATV3W.
                          From your suggestions, this was, price wise, a very good option , 4 for the price of 3.$810 fitted. They look good too.

Thanks a lot everyone :-)

Comment

• alanymarce
                            • Apr 2015
                            • Colombia

I'm still slightly uncomfortable leaving the car in 4WD all of the time. I know that the advice is to do this, however I'm so used to staying in 2WD and switching when in very wet conditions, snow/ice, or offroad. I still recall the dictum - "4WD is to get you out of trouble, use it only when you have to".

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                              Valued Member
                              • Aug 2016
                              • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by alanymarce View Post
                              I'm still slightly uncomfortable leaving the car in 4WD all of the time. I know that the advice is to do this, however I'm so used to staying in 2WD and switching when in very wet conditions, snow/ice, or offroad. I still recall the dictum - "4WD is to get you out of trouble, use it only when you have to".

With 4H you aren't in 4WD.You are in all wheel drive. The centre diff is NOT locked.
                              Last edited by BruceandBobbi; 11-07-20, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X