Clear All
  • john_char
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007
    • Perth - Not far north of the River

Timing Belt

Hi all.

Just finished changing my timing belt.

I have put all the details on a word doc and will send it to Pickle within the next couple of days for your viewing pleasure.
    You can download the PDF file here.

John
    Have a Gunmetal Grey NS V6 Exceed. Already raised with lovells, Poly airs, Colour coded ARB bullbar, Sidewinder Dual Batteries, WAECO CF50.... Just moved to Perth, wife and 2 girls and a bloody big boy dog.

Build Racing bikes in my spare time - check out the link: http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/forum/f120/
  • icysyrup
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007
    • USA

Cool thanks...looking forward to it.
    03 NP, 34" tires, Fully skiplated, Custom rocksliders, custom winch mount, OME HD springs/shocks, and Aeroflow exhaust, Locked Front and Rear.

Happiness is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Pickle
      Administrator
      • Jun 2007
      • All over Oz

I have added John's excellent Timing Belt document to his original post.
      Download and save to hard drive!
      Dave
      NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
      Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• john_char
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2007

Thanx Pickle for your help. Hope all enjoy and don't get themselves into too much trouble.

John
        Have a Gunmetal Grey NS V6 Exceed. Already raised with lovells, Poly airs, Colour coded ARB bullbar, Sidewinder Dual Batteries, WAECO CF50.... Just moved to Perth, wife and 2 girls and a bloody big boy dog.

Build Racing bikes in my spare time - check out the link: http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/forum/f120/

Comment

• Goody
          • Jul 2007
          • Brisbane

John, Thank you very much for your work on this subject.
          I am a mechanic quambi and I found the instructions easy to follow and dare say it in 100,000 k's might give it a bash myself.
          Your pictures are a great help and make it easy to understand
          All the best
          Goody
          2018 NX GLS Pajero
          3.2 DiD
          Pretty stock, Uniden UHF, Dual battery system, HPD Catch Can, Rear Draws and fridge slide
          Tug for my van and boat
          I love herhttps://www.pajeroforum.com.au/core/...lies/smile.png

Comment

• john_char
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2007

Thanx for your good thoughts, it's encouraging when people state their appreciation, will be doing the Fuel Filter one soon.

John

Comment

• The Paj
              • Feb 2008

Hey John - I was thinking of having a crack at this myself this weekend now that my Paj has just clocked over the infamous 100,000 km. So I jumped on the forum and saw your post here. Nice work mate.

But... mine is a 2004 Model 3.8 Ltr V6. Do you think your instruction manual would work for me?

Cheers,
              The Paj

Comment

• john_char
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2007

The 3.8 will basically be the same as the 3.5. So no probs there. Just take your time and there shouldn't be any problem. If you don't fell confident, then please don't do it.

Enjoy

John

Comment

• icysyrup
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2007
                  • USA

yes, mine is the 3.8 and the only difference is the intake manifold on top and as far as looks goes...and the instructions look like they dont have any problems or differences on the 3.8 that I can see, but like john said if you dont feel confident then dont do it.
                  03 NP, 34" tires, Fully skiplated, Custom rocksliders, custom winch mount, OME HD springs/shocks, and Aeroflow exhaust, Locked Front and Rear.

Happiness is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• kiwipajero
                    • Aug 2009
                    • South Island, NZ

Cheers John

Thanks for your detailed instructions John. I used them last weekend to do my NM. they were fantastic!

However, mine being a 3.5 DOHC motor I found that I had to loosen the A/C mount to remove accessory block. Just couldnt get enough free play to get that last bit out...only needed 5mm too! Don't know if anyone else has had this issue.?.

Anyway, thought I'd just mention it. Thanx again John
                    2000 NM SWB Exceed, Leather heated seats - aahhhhhhh, DVD/Pioneer sound system, 16" Advanti alloys, 32 inch Kuhmo Mudders, Custom 6mm alloy sump/trans guards, Safari snorkel, Rage Exhaust System, Thule roof racks, ARB winch bar, 9000lb winch, 60mm lift kit......what next???????

"We'll keep our cowsh*t in the country...You keep your bullsh*t in the city"

Comment

• ceasar M
                      • Feb 2008
                      • Sydney NSW

Hi all,
                      Thanks for the DIY(timing belt) John I have mine done last weekend and was a success,with the accessory block I didn't took the A/C cradle off, instead I use a long screw driver to prise the back of acc. block a bit of wiggling and alas,part of it was hitting the water pump right side and came off easy.
                      Next week I will be doing the spark plug .I've read that I don't need to take the lot off instead loosen those bolts in the middle of inlet manifold.Please correct if wrong. Any photos for DIY(spark plug replacement)? location of bolts is what I am after.
                      Thanks again John.
                      Cheers
                      Ceasar
                      Last edited by ceasar M; 11-07-10, 07:01 PM.
                      NM 2000 Petrol 3.5 GLS.Safari Snorkel,Dual Battery with Sidewinder Isolator,K&N Air Filter,Kenwood 860G UHF radio,Wildcat extractor,2 Inch Tough Dog Suspension lift,81 Litre Auxiliary Tank,60 Litre Waeco fridge/freezer,Built in TV,7 inch monitor with integrated GPS iGo, Bluetooth DVD, radio, reverse camera, Light force 240 Blitz Driving Lights, BFG 275x70x16 All Terrain tyres.Piranha Battery monitor,Rhino Awning.

Comment

• Stevie-Ray
                        Valued Member
                        • Jun 2009
                        • Peakhurst, Sydney

Hi John,

Looked at your pdf out of interest as I'm about to change the lifters on my 3.0L, & thought it was well explained. I've done the belt on the the SOHC before & it is easier but a fair bit is still similar.
                        One tip for removing the camshaft & crankshaft seals, is to screw a couple of long small gauge self-tapper screws a little way into the seals, making sure they are midway between the shaft & the bore, because as you mentioned; marking those surfaces should be avoided.
                        The seals can then be eased out without the risk of them going further in.

Cheers
                        Steve

Runner-Paj; '95 NJ SWB 2.5L TD GL J-Top, low kms Project-Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, also low kms. Donor Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, with some parts & goodies to go onto other GLS.
                        "I try to take life one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me all at once!"

Comment

• john_char
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2007

Good tip Stevie-Ray - Not scoring those sealing surfaces is very important.

Comment

• markc
                            • Oct 2007
                            • Brisbane Sth East

Hi John, Did my belt last week end along with the water pump and had to say thanks for such a great write up on this job.
                            My only change to your instructions was that I removed the passanger side upper belt cover prior to removing the main accessory bracket which made it a bit easier to lift up and out of the way.
                            The job went smoooothly thanks to you. Your tip on undoing the crank bolt is a bewty and worth a carton by itself
                            Thanks heaps

Comment

• trev57
                              • Feb 2012
                              • Perth

char's diy timing belt change

Does anyone have Char's diy timingbelt change document downloaded? I have tried to access the file without success.

Thanks

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X