• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jandrew
    • Oct 2011
    • Northern Beaches, Sydney

DIY Digital Dual Battery Volt Metre

Hey guys,

I stole this idea from a mate and his post on the Prado forum http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread...r-less-than-30

I went to Jaycar today and bought the bits needed and put it together, ill outline it below and it took me around 2 hours.

This is what is needed:

Jaycar part numbers and prices are after the item below.
    1 x 2 way Switch (to control positive feeds from both batteries) SK0991 $4.95
    1 x Jaycar Digital Voltage Gauge QP5586 $24.95
    2 x Fuse Holders SZ2015 $1.75 each
    2 x 0.5 Amp Fuses SF2188 $0.40 each
    3-4 metres (approx) of 1.5mm Positive and Negative stranded wire. (I got this from Autobahn as Jaycar didn't have red and black)

To install it:

- Run a positive feeds from both batteries
    - Run negative feed from 1 battery
    - Connect the positive wires to the outside poles of the switch (one wire per pole)
    - Connect the middle pole of the switch to the positive input of the volt metre
    - Connect the negative feed from 1 battery to the negative input for the volt meter.

I did remove the plastic cover below the steering wheel to make it easier to cut the holes for the switch and display.
    To run the wires through the firewall I found where some others where running through and used a big cable to push through into the engine bay, attach the wire and pull it back into the cabin

I ran it all inside that black plastic tubing under the bonnet and it was really easy. The hardest part for me was cutting the plastic cover near my knee to get the switch and display to fit, but anyone with skill (I have none! lol) will find it easy and it will look neat.

I installed it all and this is what it looks like in the car, near my right knee.

I cannot see it while driving, but then I do not need to see it and it works well.

Now to do more mods, like LED spot lights for the rear

James
    Last edited by Jandrew; 03-02-12, 09:11 PM.
    2002 NM GLS
    Green, safari snorkel, arb bull bar, ipf spotties, black widow draws and cargo barrier, dual battery setup, arb air compressor and front locker, old man emu lift, warn winch, bluetooth handsfree kit, LED interior lighting, recovery kit - BF Goodrich M/T KM2 and some Bushskinz sliders!Petrol, Maunal

• my.paj
    • Dec 2010
    • Tullamarine

Well done, I had same idea in mind but for only one battery, now you showed me how to set it up for two, thanks.
    Rick
    Old, NP Exceed 3.5 petrol, ARB Bull bar, Warn winch, Bush Skinz Bash plates ,2inch lift, Safari Snorkel. ***Now Sold***
    New, RG Colorado Dual Cab Tray

Comment

• Hunty
      • Jun 2010
      • Adelaide

Nice one James Great DIY!! Thats a definate install.

Hunty
      Adventure b4 Dementure

Comment

• Rusty
        • Jun 2007
        • Victoria, Australia

Great job but a question. How do you turn it off? Or is there a display there all the time? Would a 3 way switch work?
        Rusty
        2012 NW Platinum 2 in cool silver. Armour tint all round. Hayman Reese heavy duty hitch. Spare wheel lift. ARB heavy duty suspension with lift. Long Range Automotive auxiliary 81 litre fuel tank. Piranha dual battery set up. Battery World second battery. GME TX 3540 UHF.
        Concept caravan, Autofridge 40L Fridge, Waeco CF18 Fridge/Freezer,
        2008 CJ Lancer VR Sportsback with a few little extras

Comment

• Jandrew
          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
          How do you turn it off? Or is there a display there all the time? Would a 3 way switch work?
          When the switch is in the centre mode which is O the display is off, I and II are the only modes that will display the information.

I guess it is a 3 way switch

Also thanks for the good comments guys, I am helping a mate do it to his Jeep tomorrow as it was so easy
          2002 NM GLS
          Green, safari snorkel, arb bull bar, ipf spotties, black widow draws and cargo barrier, dual battery setup, arb air compressor and front locker, old man emu lift, warn winch, bluetooth handsfree kit, LED interior lighting, recovery kit - BF Goodrich M/T KM2 and some Bushskinz sliders!Petrol, Maunal

Comment

• Uncle Fester
            Valued Member
            • Sep 2007
            • Boambee East NSW

And the total cost was?
            NT 2010 GLX Police Pack, Auto 3.2 Diesel, Smartbar, Warn XD9000 Winch and Rear Diff Lock. Cooper AT3s on Factoty Alloys, 45mm lift TJM XGS GOLD front & rear, S/D with Poly air bags Rear and HD Front , Bushskinz I/C guard, TJM T/F Case And G/Box guards, Duel Battery setup with Redarc Isolator and Redarc electric brake controller.

Comment

• Uncle Fester
              Valued Member
              • Sep 2007
              • Boambee East NSW

- Connect the middle pole of the switch to the positive input of the volt metre

Might be a silly question as I'm not that electrically minded but why does it need this connected if it has a +ve feed on the 2 outside poles and has its own -ve?
              NT 2010 GLX Police Pack, Auto 3.2 Diesel, Smartbar, Warn XD9000 Winch and Rear Diff Lock. Cooper AT3s on Factoty Alloys, 45mm lift TJM XGS GOLD front & rear, S/D with Poly air bags Rear and HD Front , Bushskinz I/C guard, TJM T/F Case And G/Box guards, Duel Battery setup with Redarc Isolator and Redarc electric brake controller.

Comment

• Herman4x4
                Valued Member
                • Oct 2009
                • Melton, Victoria

G'day Fester,
                The volt metre is not connected directly to the battery, and with this set up, this is how you swtich from one battery to another so you can see each batteries volts.

Jandrew - great job and a simple solution. This has been added onto my to do list. Do you have a part number for the volt metre from Jaycar?

Cheers,
                Andrew.
                Last edited by Herman4x4; 03-02-12, 08:40 PM. Reason: Add more.
                Cheers,
                Andrew.

2008 NS Diesel Auto - stock as a rock. Planning Tow bar, dual battery system, cargo barrier, bullbar, winch, lights, roof rack and suspension.
                Jayco Starcraft 17.58-3.

Comment

• Jandrew
                  • Oct 2011

Uncle Fester it cost me less than $50, I did have to buy wires and connectors, plus I did also buy heat shrink that I did not use. The most expensive item was the digital volt metre, it was $24 from Jaycar, the switch was around $4 and the fuse holders where under $2 each I think. The docket is in my car.

I am not super savy in electrics myself, but I will explain it as basic as I can (thats the only way I understand it :P)

The two outside poles on the switch are input poles, the middle pole is an output pole.

Each battery has a positive cable running to the two outside poles on the switch. The volt metre has a positive cable that runs to the middle pole on the switch. If the switch is in the O position then the volt metre is not connected to either battery.
                  When you click the switch to either I or II position it completes the circuit between a battery and the volt metre allowing it to display the voltage.
                  The volt metre has a negative attached to a battery to complete the circuit on that side.
                  Did that make sense? or did I make it worse?
                  2002 NM GLS

Comment

• gjh1967
                    Valued Member
                    • Dec 2007
                    • Lake Macquarie

This is great

I've gone down this route in making my own.
                    Ive gotta wait a little till the parts arrive.

Cheers Glenn

Panel meter
                    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mini-Blue...item3cc053bca3

Switches http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/320837627...84.m1439.l2649

Fuse holders http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/310357869...84.m1439.l2649
                    2003 NP 3.2 DI-D LWB 5spd-DVD Entertainment unit-Narva 175 blue's-Side Steps-Uniden UHO15SX-Garmin GPS16 and Oziexplorer-ARB On Board air-Polyairs-Airtek Snorkel-Khumo KL78's-Headrest DVD players- Ironman Lift kit- 12000lb winch- Dual Batteries - Redarc isolator-Bushskinz intercooler guard.

Comment

• Jandrew
                      • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Herman4x4 View Post
                      G'day Fester,
                      The volt metre is not connected directly to the battery, and with this set up, this is how you swtich from one battery to another so you can see each batteries volts.

Jandrew - great job and a simple solution. This has been added onto my to do list. Do you have a part number for the volt metre from Jaycar?

Cheers,
                      Andrew.
                      Nice explanation (better than mine!) Just ran out to the car and got my docket, the part number is qp5586 http://www.jaycar.com.au/productResu...34&SUBMIT.y=16

The switch is sk0991 http://www.jaycar.com.au/productResu...=17&SUBMIT.y=6

Cheers
                      James
                      2002 NM GLS

Comment

• Jandrew
                        • Oct 2011

Originally posted by gjh1967 View Post
                        This is great

I've gone down this route in making my own.
                        Ive gotta wait a little till the parts arrive.

Cheers Glenn

Panel meter
                        http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mini-Blue...item3cc053bca3

Switches http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/320837627...84.m1439.l2649

Fuse holders http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/310357869...84.m1439.l2649
                        That should be nice, I did have a look for a blue one at jaycar with no such luck. That switch looks the same and those fuse holders look interesting too Good luck with it.
                        2002 NM GLS

Comment

• Herman4x4
                          Valued Member
                          • Oct 2009
                          • Melton, Victoria

Thanks for the part numbers.

I thought your explanation was better than mine.

Cheers.
                          Andrew.
                          Cheers,
                          Andrew.

2008 NS Diesel Auto - stock as a rock. Planning Tow bar, dual battery system, cargo barrier, bullbar, winch, lights, roof rack and suspension.
                          Jayco Starcraft 17.58-3.

Comment

• gjh1967
                            Valued Member
                            • Dec 2007
                            • Lake Macquarie

James

Would this image help
                            Credit to Sidewinder.com.au for the picture

Cheers Glenn
                            2003 NP 3.2 DI-D LWB 5spd-DVD Entertainment unit-Narva 175 blue's-Side Steps-Uniden UHO15SX-Garmin GPS16 and Oziexplorer-ARB On Board air-Polyairs-Airtek Snorkel-Khumo KL78's-Headrest DVD players- Ironman Lift kit- 12000lb winch- Dual Batteries - Redarc isolator-Bushskinz intercooler guard.

Comment

• Jandrew
                              • Oct 2011

Originally posted by gjh1967 View Post
                              James

Would this image help
                              Credit to Sidewinder.com.au for the picture

Cheers Glenn
                              Cheers Glenn, great pic, I was going to try and mock one up in paint but it was too hard. That is a great example of how it works!

No worries Andrew, if you want the part numbers for the fuse holders and fuses I have them too.

James
                              2002 NM GLS

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X