• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Two Emms
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2020
    • Mansfield, Vic

Still watching with interest

Went for a 1000k's round trip to the mother in laws place last weekend (no politically incorrect jokes about how far away she is) Went empty as we are moving her to our place ( no discussion about that either please)

Anyway all highway k's although it is over Mt Hotham so hilly and lots of bends. 500 ks empty and 500ks full (chockers) on the way back. A little firmer ride without my usual 100 kgs on board but still a very comfortable ride and handled fine. Didn't check heights but it was sitting up a bit!

Loaded to the roof on the way back. Didn't seem to be sitting lower than usual (should have measured but probably irrelevant without knowing actual weight on board). Handled lovely, no wallowing or body roll. (Did I mention this road has a 30k stretch of tight corners )

Not a very scientific test, but seems to indicate that the springs are good across quite a varied weight range.
    2016 NX GLS Factory alloy bar, Provent 200 catch can, Boos bash plates (full set), Stedi light bar, 40 litre Waeco, Titan fridge slide, Kings springs, Toyo Open Country AT3s, Auto-mate, Ultragauge, Uniden 8080s, Tanami x11, more to come...

Comment

• Jasonmc73
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2019
      • Brisbane

Originally posted by PaulMcG View Post

The one remaining question in my mind now would be the possibility of the softer comfort KCRR-35C being more suitable for heavier loads than I was originally thinking. If its progressing into the 15.3kg/mm range not long after compressing past static EBH, it may be OK.
      Yes TwoEmms reports he has KCRR-35HC spring which for reasons already discussed, this spring pricks my ears thats for sure, his EBH after fitment with 70kg's onboard is 575mmish.
      Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• Jasonmc73
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2019
        • Brisbane

Originally posted by Two Emms View Post
        Still watching with interest

Loaded to the roof on the way back. Didn't seem to be sitting lower than usual (should have measured but probably irrelevant without knowing actual weight on board). Handled lovely, no wallowing or body roll. (Did I mention this road has a 30k stretch of tight corners )

Not a very scientific test, but seems to indicate that the springs are good across quite a varied weight range.
        It wouldn't be in my mind as i can now see this spring is most likely at least 30%ish or more higher spring rate than standard progressive factory in compression.
        Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• signo1985
          • Sep 2017
          • Perth

I've been out of the discussion for a few weeks, so thanks to all who given some feedback and kept the thread going, hopefully giving us all a better understanding of the vagaries of these spring rates.

I'll post some further observations when I have time, but just to try to help with these latest questions by Signo1985 -

......cut...........

As Two Emms has said, once you have an understanding of where you are at and where you want to go, a call to Kings tech advisers will be well worth it. I can also say you will get the same help from Dobinsons from my experience, and no doubt Lovells would be similar if you called them direct.

Good luck.
          Thanks Paul for the very detailed answer.
          I will take my time to read it....awesome stuff

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk
          Last edited by signo1985; 15-10-20, 07:44 PM.

Comment

• cejnr
            • Dec 2010
            • Cairns

I'm looking to raise my MY20 NX LWB and am looking at using King springs. This is an interesting thread to be following and full of helpful info.

The advice I got from my supplier prior to purchase was he thought I should go for the KCRR-35C, with airbags. One of the reason's I chose the heavier KCRR-35 was to avoid airbags, but I always had the intention of swapping it out for the softer comfort coil if I wasn't happy- less than $200 and another afternoon of throwing tools and cursing. But there would also be the added $300-$400 for airbags for my towing.
            This has been my train of thought too. I wasn't keen on the KCRR-35C comfort springs at first as I wasn't sure how they'd go when I load up for camping or in the rare case that I tow something. But if I went for the KCRR-35 or KCRR-35HD will I be sacrificing ride comfort when unladen as I do like the ride in my NX. So it looks like I'll be going for the KCRR-35C comfort springs and air bags in the rear and KCFR-34HHD in the front as I have a steel bullbar, winch and lights up front.

Incidently, I contacted King Springs who said they haven't tested their springs on a 2020 NX so won't guarantee they'll fit.
            Last edited by cejnr; 22-10-20, 10:53 PM.

1995 NJ GLS, 3.5 V6, lifted, ARB Bullbar, Ridge Rider 12000lb winch, Lightforce XGT HID's for offroading
            2020 NX GLS with leather, ARB Bullbar, Lightforce XGT HID's, Hulk 9500lb winch, Rhino Racks, Hulk side awning for touring

Comment

• Jasonmc73
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2019
              • Brisbane

Originally posted by cejnr View Post
              I'm looking to raise my MY20 NX LWB and am looking at using King springs. This is an interesting thread to be following and full of helpful info.

This has been my train of thought too. I wasn't keen on the KCRR-35C comfort springs at first as I wasn't sure how they'd go when I load up for camping or in the rare case that I tow something. But if I went for the KCRR-35 or KCRR-35HD will I be sacrificing ride comfort when unladen as I do like the ride in my NX. So it looks like I'll be going for the KCRR-35C comfort springs and air bags in the rear and KCFR-34HDD in the front as I have a steel bullbar, winch and lights up front.

Incidently, I contacted King Springs who said they haven't tested their springs on a 2020 NX so won't guarantee they'll fit.
              I presume KCFR-34HDD is typo & you mean KCFR-34HHD, Which my understanding is High Heavy Duty?

I'm almost convinced with steel bar for my job
              Once I fit steel bar
              KCFR-34HHD
              KCRR-35HC rear 10mm longer free length than KCRR-35C

I like the idea of the extra height TwoEmms has reported with KCRR-35HC if matched with KCFR-34HHD as it will give me bit of rake for ball weight, theory only !

If i was fitting KCRR-35C springs i would fit poly insulators

The KCRR-35HC or KCRR-35C i believe would be 30%ish higher spring rate over standard spring

If I need airbags so be it, but i'm not convinced i will.

I do tow camper trailer, i don't carry large cargo in vehicle weight.

If you do it i would love EBH height reports front & rear, would really appreciate it actually.

I also reckon given 12 months & bit of work, they'll settle 10mmish for sure. Some real special spring steel if they never do? Maybe they won't ?? Especially fronts with weight of engine.
              Last edited by Jasonmc73; 22-10-20, 06:08 PM.

Comment

• Two Emms
                Valued Member
                • Jan 2020
                • Mansfield, Vic

Hi cejnr,

Looks like you have got a handle on the rear springs.

I only have an alloy bar and no second battery so didn't investigate the heavier duty springs but my concern is that the front springs may be a bit firm. The 34HHD is rated pretty heavy. I don't know how heavy your winch and bar is but I suspect this spring can handle it plus 30kg of second battery. Might be worth double checking.
                2016 NX GLS Factory alloy bar, Provent 200 catch can, Boos bash plates (full set), Stedi light bar, 40 litre Waeco, Titan fridge slide, Kings springs, Toyo Open Country AT3s, Auto-mate, Ultragauge, Uniden 8080s, Tanami x11, more to come...

Comment

• old Jack
                  Regular
                  • Jun 2011
                  • Adelaide, South Australia.

Pajero 12's NW has HHD front coils, it has a MMAL steel bar (35kg inc brackets) Aux battery and tray (27kg approx) and Full length 4mm Bushskinz Underbody guards (42kg) and his front ride height is 545mm which is on the high end of the desired limit. It would be too high if he towed and had heavy towball loads. Ride height is without front seat occupants.

OJ.
                  Last edited by old Jack; 22-10-20, 10:44 PM. Reason: weight added foe Bushskinz
                  2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                  MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2019
                    • Brisbane

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                    Pajero 12's NW has HHD front coils, it has a MMAL steel bar (35kg inc brackets) Aux battery and tray (27kg approx) and Full length 4mm Bushskinz Underbody guards (3x) and his front ride height is 545mm which is on the high end of the desired limit. It would be too high if he towed and had heavy towball loads. Ride height is without front seat occupants.

OJ.
                    Correct me if i'm wrong but i think aftermarket Steel bars are more like 60kg's + winch between 25kg's & 33kg's = 85kg's ish + leverage out in front of axle, pulling nose down?
                    As no one seems to list the weights of their Bars

I think, from waht i have gathered?

I'm thinking similar to cejnr & i want the vehicle lifted.

With std 11.6kg rate springs the rear drops 25mm with ball weight, kids all up, i took tape measure when i went camping recently.

TwoEmms reports 575mm new heights KCRR-35HC spring which has working rate 30%ish above std spring.
                    One could expect this spring same weight to drop 20mmish (guess)

Appreciate any feedback guys that may help me out, which would help cejnr out as well.

If i need airbags, so be it.

Comment

• Two Emms
                      Valued Member
                      • Jan 2020
                      • Mansfield, Vic

Looks like I was off the mark with the front springs.

OJs post shows real world results. This is the only real way to determine how particular springs perform.

Comment

• old Jack
                        Regular
                        • Jun 2011
                        • Adelaide, South Australia.

Looks like I was off the mark with the front springs.

OJs post shows real world results. This is the only real way to determine how particular springs perform.
                        I just looked up the weight of the Bushskinz plate and added this to my earlier post.
                        Total extra weight on Pajero 12's front axle is about 104kg so you can see how it quickly adds up.

OJ.
                        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• cejnr
                          • Dec 2010
                          • Cairns

Originally posted by Jasonmc73 View Post
                          I presume KCFR-34HDD is typo & you mean KCFR-34HHD, Which my understanding is High Heavy Duty?
                          Yes it was a typo, well spotted. I’ve now corrected the post to avoid confusion for other readers.

Originally posted by Jasonmc73 View Post
                          Appreciate any feedback guys that may help me out, which would help cejnr out as well.
                          Feedback would indeed be appreciated. And thank you to everyone for your responses so far.

However, I am 95% sold on the combination I mentioned earlier and will probably be placing an order in the next week or so unless someone posts feedback convincing me otherwise. I’m actually waiting to find out if I’m moving so I’ll have room to park my lifted Paj, something I can’t do where I’m living now.

Once I do go ahead, I will post before and after measurements for reference.

1995 NJ GLS, 3.5 V6, lifted, ARB Bullbar, Ridge Rider 12000lb winch, Lightforce XGT HID's for offroading
                          2020 NX GLS with leather, ARB Bullbar, Lightforce XGT HID's, Hulk 9500lb winch, Rhino Racks, Hulk side awning for touring

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                            Valued Member
                            • Jun 2019
                            • Brisbane

Originally posted by cejnr View Post
                            Yes it was a typo, well spotted. I’ve now corrected the post to avoid confusion for other readers.

Feedback would indeed be appreciated. And thank you to everyone for your responses so far.

However, I am 95% sold on the combination I mentioned earlier and will probably be placing an order in the next week or so unless someone posts feedback convincing me otherwise. I’m actually waiting to find out if I’m moving so I’ll have room to park my lifted Paj, something I can’t do where I’m living now.

Once I do go ahead, I will post before and after measurements for reference.
                            Look forward to your measurements certainly would help me as i would like to fit TJM bar & Carbon winch, then new springs, i guess the weight is out 600mm to 800mm ish in front of axle.
                            From what i can find & as OJ points out, KCFR-34HHD seems like rite spring, 40mmish lifted height.

I'm torn between KCRR-35C with poly insulators as OJ has pointed out in past 10mmish extra lift from these Or KCRR-35HC which TwoEmms reports 575mm EBH, which is 40mm Lifted EBH with 70kg's in his cargo area, springs are new.

So this combo appears vehicle would maintain similar stance but 40mm up in the air? Which is what i'm trying to achieve

If i knew your measurements be so helpful cheers
                            Last edited by Jasonmc73; 23-10-20, 06:54 AM.

Comment

• Two Emms
                              Valued Member
                              • Jan 2020
                              • Mansfield, Vic

So two emms springs have about 5000 k's on them and they seem to have settled a bit. Currently doing the 1000 k's round trip to the mother in laws place every weekend. Empty down, full on the way back. Also towing small box trailer. Yes it is as much fun as it sounds

Anyway measured the rear heights with nothing in the rear, no third row seats, no toolbox, nothing. 570 both sides, so they have settled a bit. No surprise. Ride when empty is still good, just a little sharper bumps over small potholes etc.

Can say fully loaded, the back still seems to sit up so they must be coping with the weight ok.

I am deliberately not going to post loaded heights until I can accurately measure loaded weights, pointless otherwise I think. Once the current adventure is completed, I am going to load the stack of bricks in my driveway in increments and measure heights at each 100 - 150 kgs. Don't hold your breath for results, probably won't be much before Christmas.

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                                Valued Member
                                • Jun 2019
                                • Brisbane

So two emms springs have about 5000 k's on them and they seem to have settled a bit.
                                Anyway measured the rear heights with nothing in the rear, no third row seats, no toolbox, nothing. 570 both sides, so they have settled a bit. No surprise.

Can say fully loaded, the back still seems to sit up so they must be coping with the weight ok.

I am deliberately not going to post loaded heights until I can accurately measure loaded weights, pointless otherwise I think. Once the current adventure is completed, I am going to load the stack of bricks in my driveway in increments and measure heights at each 100 - 150 kgs. Don't hold your breath for results, probably won't be much before Christmas.
                                Personally really would appreciate that, my budget says time is on my side

I reckon it's a $6,500ish exercise in my case as plan A is weigh then fit, Plates, bar & winch springs & struts
                                It'll add up.

Kings don't expect there springs to settle any further than 10mm, reading their warranty that is, but your results is what i will base my spring choice for the rear on.

Otherwise it would have to be Poly insulators & KCRR-35's to work with KCFR-34HHD's.
                                PaulMcG has been kind enough to post heights, ride bit stiff empty.

I would rather KCRR-35HC's though so thanks for your help appreciated.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X