• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wal
    • Jun 2007
    • Gold Coast

Maxxis MA 751

I've had Bridgestone D694s on my NP Paj since I bought it in 2005. The first set lasted less than 50K before I replaced them and the latest set have clocked up maybe 60K+ and are definitely on their last legs. While they have performed well in all sorts of conditions this lack of durability is a major worry and at $300+ per tyre I don't see myself getting value for money if I buy a new set.

I've got another 16 months to go on my novated lease at which point I'll get a new vehicle - probably the NT. As I don't plan any major trips in that time I'll spend only some time off road.

Bob Jane's is offering the the Maxxis MA-751s for $189 each, fitted and balanced. The reviews I've read suggest that these ATs are good on bitumen, dry or wet and handle sand, gravel and dirt very well off road. The only downside is their mud handling ability. As I prefer to avoid mud this is not an issue.

Does anyone have any further experience with these tyres before I go to the nearest BJs and get them fitted? If I do plan an off road trip will they be reliable? Will they stay 'in round'.
  • Wiseowl
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2009
    • Brisbane

Originally posted by Wal View Post
    I've had Bridgestone D694s on my NP Paj since I bought it in 2005. The first set lasted less than 50K before I replaced them and the latest set have clocked up maybe 60K+ and are definitely on their last legs. While they have performed well in all sorts of conditions this lack of durability is a major worry and at $300+ per tyre I don't see myself getting value for money if I buy a new set.

I've got another 16 months to go on my novated lease at which point I'll get a new vehicle - probably the NT. As I don't plan any major trips in that time I'll spend only some time off road.

Bob Jane's is offering the the Maxxis MA-751s for $189 each, fitted and balanced. The reviews I've read suggest that these ATs are good on bitumen, dry or wet and handle sand, gravel and dirt very well off road. The only downside is their mud handling ability. As I prefer to avoid mud this is not an issue.

Does anyone have any further experience with these tyres before I go to the nearest BJs and get them fitted? If I do plan an off road trip will they be reliable? Will they stay 'in round'.

Hi I just put a set on my NL I havent taken it off road. I find with the window down I can hear very slight road noise form them which isnt heard with the window up. The ride is nice and smooth steers really good on the tar. I have only had them on for a few weeks.

I got mine from BOB Jane fitted and balanced for $189 on special. Jax quoted me $215.
    I was running Roadstone before and I did over 2000klms on them no road noise equally good handling but they were secondhand when I got them. I upgraded to 16" from
    15"

Cheers
    Last edited by Wiseowl; 04-08-09, 09:39 PM.
    Formerly 1998 NL Pajero Sold*******
    2007 BF MK11 302 BOSS GT VK4LQ

Comment

• marcthelegend
      Valued Member
      • Sep 2008
      • Gosnells, WA

I have been running these for over 5000k's now, can tell you they are a little on the loud side, but can practically boot it on soft gravel and have minimal wheel spin! also they do handly pretty good in mud, was playing around in some yesterday, very soft stuff, sunk maybe 10cms in .. booted it and the paj got straight out (there was heaps of wheel spin but TC and persistance got me out!) have tried them in sand (not beach sand though) and they handled well, managed to drive through VERY soft sand in 2WD!
      Bitumen driving they grip extremely well! wet or dry, I cannot get the wheels to spin at all! which is a relief, especially when you have kids and its pissing down with rain and the roads are slippery.
      They also grip great on rocks and gravely rocky sections! and they flex over rocks really well, havent had a puncture and I have done around 40% of those 5000+k's off road.

All up though, aside from being slightly on the louder side (but not overpowering and i dont even notice it now) they are the very best tyre in terms of value for money! Guarantee I will be buying these next time I need to replace tyres, and havent noticed any ware on them yet either!

Hope this helps

Marc
      05 NP GLX 3.8 Auto. 2" Lovell/Bilstein Lift, ARB Deluxe Winch Bar, Granke mk3 12,000lbs winch, Uniden UH015sx, HID spotties, Roof mounted light bar, Work lights, Upgraded stereo, Tinting, 2.5t tow, dual battery setup (homemade), Radar Renegade tyres, wired up dummy lights, Bushskinz Sump/Intercooler plates, home-made diff breathers (front and back) and a cheap ebay snorkel.

To-do:
      brake upgrade, oil seals (again!!)

Comment

• Pdiddy
        • Jun 2007
        • Brisbane

Have had them for 15thou now and have no complaints at all. Can't compare noise with other a/t's as first set on this vehicle. Was originally concerned about wet weather performance but have been very secure. Beach work no problems. Most report very good wear from them but they tend to harden when near end of life making them a bit skatey in wet. I think you'll find they will do all you need
        04 GLS Auto DID,ARB bar, Bilstein/Lovells,stedi 240 w light bar, DPchip, Cargo Barrier, dual batts, etc

Comment

• Wal
          • Jun 2007
          • Gold Coast

Originally posted by marcthelegend View Post
          I have been running these for over 5000k's now, can tell you they are a little on the loud side, but can practically boot it on soft gravel and have minimal wheel spin! also they do handly pretty good in mud, was playing around in some yesterday, very soft stuff, sunk maybe 10cms in .. booted it and the paj got straight out (there was heaps of wheel spin but TC and persistance got me out!) have tried them in sand (not beach sand though) and they handled well, managed to drive through VERY soft sand in 2WD!
          Bitumen driving they grip extremely well! wet or dry, I cannot get the wheels to spin at all! which is a relief, especially when you have kids and its pissing down with rain and the roads are slippery.
          They also grip great on rocks and gravely rocky sections! and they flex over rocks really well, havent had a puncture and I have done around 40% of those 5000+k's off road.

All up though, aside from being slightly on the louder side (but not overpowering and i dont even notice it now) they are the very best tyre in terms of value for money! Guarantee I will be buying these next time I need to replace tyres, and havent noticed any ware on them yet either!

Hope this helps

Marc
          When you talk about being loud, what were you running before you put on the Maxxis? I noticed with my D694s that they were reasonably quiet as new but after the 45k mark the noise went up considerably. I've seen reviews describing the Maxxis as quiet but I suppose that is relative to what you are used to.

Thanks for the info.

Comment

• marcthelegend
            Valued Member
            • Sep 2008
            • Gosnells, WA

last ones i had were really dodgey highway tyres, nankang (never heard of them?) SP Sport H/T cant remember exactly but they had like 2mm tread left and were really pathetic, they were semi-quiet near new, but towards the end, they had almost no tread left to became dead quiet, maxxis tyres arent overly loud, but you know they are there, can still listen to quiet music and talking etc. its honestly quietened down after around 500k's too .. interesting to hear what other maxxis 751 users say about road noise?

Marc
            05 NP GLX 3.8 Auto. 2" Lovell/Bilstein Lift, ARB Deluxe Winch Bar, Granke mk3 12,000lbs winch, Uniden UH015sx, HID spotties, Roof mounted light bar, Work lights, Upgraded stereo, Tinting, 2.5t tow, dual battery setup (homemade), Radar Renegade tyres, wired up dummy lights, Bushskinz Sump/Intercooler plates, home-made diff breathers (front and back) and a cheap ebay snorkel.

To-do:
            brake upgrade, oil seals (again!!)

Comment

• Pajenaro
              • Oct 2007
              • Albany Creek

Another happy customer here too. I fitted Maxxis bravo 751 A/T's as well and they are coming up to 50000Ks and still plenty off tread left. We've done highway, wet, dry, gravel, rocks, sand all good but average in mud.
              I'll be glad to fit them again.
              I also rotate them (including spare) every 10,000.
              1998 NL GLX 2.8TD, Man

Comment

• Pdiddy
                • Jun 2007
                • Brisbane

Wal,
                I see your post in the overlander forum drew some very negative comments re the tyres mainly from one member. I purposely tried hard in the wet and semi wet re grip and didn't have any scary moments at all. On my previous pajero I had falken which were supposed to be good but they were scarey in the wet. I've only seen positive comments on the tyres. Prior to fitting them I contacted "slider" from that forum re tyres and other matters and his comments were all positve and from what I recall he had 694's fitted prior. He obtained fairly high kms in a relatively short space of time and mentioned that around 70k -80k they started to "harden" and didn't seem as secure. Just opinions but some more info for you!
                04 GLS Auto DID,ARB bar, Bilstein/Lovells,stedi 240 w light bar, DPchip, Cargo Barrier, dual batts, etc

Comment

• olderperson
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Brisbane

Originally posted by Pdiddy View Post
                  Wal,
                  I see your post in the overlander forum drew some very negative comments re the tyres mainly from one member. I purposely tried hard in the wet and semi wet re grip and didn't have any scary moments at all. On my previous pajero I had falken which were supposed to be good but they were scarey in the wet. I've only seen positive comments on the tyres. Prior to fitting them I contacted "slider" from that forum re tyres and other matters and his comments were all positve and from what I recall he had 694's fitted prior. He obtained fairly high kms in a relatively short space of time and mentioned that around 70k -80k they started to "harden" and didn't seem as secure. Just opinions but some more info for you!
                  Isn't the contrast between the opinions on the two forums interesting.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X