• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • felsmand
    • Feb 2012
    • Brisbane

rust prevention - removing rubber seals on sills

Hi

I'm wanting to spray some rust proofing inside the sill panels underneath the doors on boths sides of my NP.
    I can see a series of small rubber seals/grometts and am wondering how easily these can be removed and replaced.

Also, I don't have side steps so the bottom of the sills are heavily stone chipped and I'm wondering how I can treat these to stop them from getting surface rust. Is it a case of sanding back, adding rust preventers then priming and repainting?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
    Pajero 2004 NP 3.2 DID GLX, TJM Alloy bar, Bushskinz sliders, Cooper ATR's, Tracklander Roof Cage, Duel battery mods.
  • felsmand
    • Feb 2012
    • Brisbane

Oh well obviously my post was not the most relevant topic for people.
    I'll work out how to get the door sill grommetts off myself. Just thought I might save some time asking the forum.

As for the other part of my post I have decided to buy a roll of 3M Ventureshield paint protection film from these guys - http://www.ozishield.com.au/categories.asp?cat=26

For about $150 I can protect some panels from stone chips and also where paint is being rubbed off inside the doors where dirt is trapped between panels and doors seals. etc. Just thought I would share it.

Thanks

Daza
    Pajero 2004 NP 3.2 DID GLX, TJM Alloy bar, Bushskinz sliders, Cooper ATR's, Tracklander Roof Cage, Duel battery mods.

Comment

• Aussie_Dan
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2010
      • Cairns

Gday Daza.
      Sorry, I missed your post from the other day.....
      I had exactly the same issue with my NP when I bought it. The sills were sandblasted back to bare metal.
      You can get the black plastic plugs out of the sills with a flat blade screwdriver. They are in there pretty tight but they do come out with some persistence. They just simply clip back in.
      I had my sills repainted. Cost me $400 or $500 from what I remember but it was the only way to protect them properly from rust.
      I then squirted a heap of anti-corrosion fluid up through the holes that those bungs came out of and then put the bungs back in.
      Straight after doing all this I installed a set of Bushskinz slider steps and now it is absolutely impossible for stones getting kicked up from the front wheels to damage the sills. The Bushskinz steps give 100% protection in this regard.
      We did the Mereenie Loop and the whole length of the Oodnadatta last year (Marla to Maree) and still don't have a single chip on the sills
      Cheers, Dan.
      2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• felsmand
        • Feb 2012
        • Brisbane

Cheers Dan, appreciate the info regarding the sill plugs, I'll pull them out and spray some Tectyl or similar up in there.
        Yes I agree side steps or sliders are a good way to go for ultimate protection.

Much appreciated.
        Daza

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
        Working...
        X