• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bladerunner99
    • Apr 2019
    • Sydney

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
    Hi BR,

Yes, when the factory suspension is at full droop you can unbolt and remove the cone springs but it is a fiddly job that takes a bit of patience.
    They will improve the performance of the factory coils whilst you consider a full suspension upgrade.

OJ.

OJ Sir you are a fount of knowledge and I sir am a sponge! Really appreciate the assistance, stay safe and be well.

Comment

• Bladerunner99
      • Apr 2019
      • Sydney

Update

Picked up a pair of Pedders 5899 bump stops yesterday and fitted them today. Was a breeze to fit, actually took me longer to jack up car and remove the wheel than it did to remove the original bump stop and replace with the pedders and no real issues inserting in between coils.

Will hook up bike rack next weekend and see how it goes.

Many thanks OJ for your very helpful advice and installation instructions, much appreciated.

Comment

• Bladerunner99
        • Apr 2019
        • Sydney

Hi OJ

I have been looking at prices/suppliers for the Kings KCRS-23 and came across Kings website where they do not have that coil listed for the Pajero Sport, are you able to shed any light on the differences between the listed springs KCRR-38 and KCRR-23 and the Challenger spring KCRS-23

Cheers

Comment

• old Jack
          Regular
          • Jun 2011
          • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by Bladerunner99 View Post
          Hi OJ

I have been looking at prices/suppliers for the Kings KCRS-23 and came across Kings website where they do not have that coil listed for the Pajero Sport, are you able to shed any light on the differences between the listed springs KCRR-38 and KCRR-23 and the Challenger spring KCRS-23

Cheers
          The rear suspension is the same on the Pajero Sport, PA, PB, PC Challenger and the Gen 2 Pajero so there is a range of coils that will fit. They all have slightly different free lengths and spring rates.

Factory 5 Seater 380mm free length 2.3622kg/mm to 3.5433kg/mm spring rate.
          Factory 7 seater 390mm free length 2.3622kg/mm to 3.5433kg/mm spring rate.
          King KCRS-33 375mm free length 2.411kg/mm to 4.107kg/mm spring rate.
          King KCRR-33 395mm free length 2.411kg/mm to 4.107kg/mm spring rate.
          King KCRR-38 400mm free length 2.411kg/mm to 4.107kg/mm spring rate.
          King KCRS-23 375mm free length 3.03kg/mm to 4.018kg/mm spring rate.
          King KCRR-23 395mm free length 3.03kg/mm to 4.018kg/mm spring rate.
          King KCRR-23HD 395mm free length 3.661kg/mm to 5.1788kg/mm spring rate.

I have fitted KCRS-23 to a Pajero Sport and the end result was about 10mm higher than factory spec ride height and the suspension carried the weight much better. However these coils start to lose ride height when rear axle loads are above 250kg to 300kg.

If you carry more weight than this then you need to run the KCRR-23HD.

If your rear axle loads are between 1350kg and 1600kg all the time and you want to maintain a lifted ride height then I use Lovells CR69EHDVR rear coils, they have a free length of 415mm with 3.929kg/mm to 5.893kg/mm spring rate and these are an extra heavy duty variable rate expedition coil that Lovells developed for me but is now available on special order.

OJ.
          2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
          MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Bladerunner99
            • Apr 2019
            • Sydney

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
            The rear suspension is the same on the Pajero Sport, PA, PB, PC Challenger and the Gen 2 Pajero so there is a range of coils that will fit. They all have slightly different free lengths and spring rates.

Factory 5 Seater 380mm free length 2.3622kg/mm to 3.5433kg/mm spring rate.
            Factory 7 seater 390mm free length 2.3622kg/mm to 3.5433kg/mm spring rate.
            King KCRS-33 375mm free length 2.411kg/mm to 4.107kg/mm spring rate.
            King KCRR-33 395mm free length 2.411kg/mm to 4.107kg/mm spring rate.
            King KCRR-38 400mm free length 2.411kg/mm to 4.107kg/mm spring rate.
            King KCRS-23 375mm free length 3.03kg/mm to 4.018kg/mm spring rate.
            King KCRR-23 395mm free length 3.03kg/mm to 4.018kg/mm spring rate.
            King KCRR-23HD 395mm free length 3.661kg/mm to 5.1788kg/mm spring rate.

I have fitted KCRS-23 to a Pajero Sport and the end result was about 10mm higher than factory spec ride height and the suspension carried the weight much better. However these coils start to lose ride height when rear axle loads are above 250kg to 300kg.

If you carry more weight than this then you need to run the KCRR-23HD.

If your rear axle loads are between 1350kg and 1600kg all the time and you want to maintain a lifted ride height then I use Lovells CR69EHDVR rear coils, they have a free length of 415mm with 3.929kg/mm to 5.893kg/mm spring rate and these are an extra heavy duty variable rate expedition coil that Lovells developed for me but is now available on special order.

OJ.

Hi OJ

Thank you for the information, it is extremely helpful.
            Would you by any chance happen to know what the unladen ride height of a PS would be, if fitted with KCRR-23HD coils

Cheers BR

Comment

• old Jack
              Regular
              • Jun 2011

Hi OJ

Thank you for the information, it is extremely helpful.
              Would you by any chance happen to know what the unladen ride height of a PS would be, if fitted with KCRR-23HD coils

Cheers BR
              No I have not fitted a set of KCRR-23HD to a stock empty Pajeo Sport, and I do not have any record or report of a PS owner fitting these coils. I can calculate this but I need to assume the rate of progression is linear and I know from experience on ride height reports and tests I have done on Gen 3/4 Pajero's fitted with King coils this assumption is incorrect. I rely on physical reports to validate the correction factor I apply to my calculations. If only the coil manufacturer supplied compressed height vs load graphs, if these where available I could easily predict ride height with greater accuracy.

OJ.
              Last edited by old Jack; 26-09-20, 01:07 PM. Reason: spelling correction
              2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• DID Dash
                • Aug 2016
                • Australia

Hey Bladerunner99, was surprised to hear you managed to fit the pedders cones without removing the factory coils. A mate and I tried it once without success. What’s the trick? Did you remove the lower shock mount? Brake lines ? We only jacked both sides up at same time and found that there was no way to slide the new pedders stops between the stretched coils. We must not have tried hard enough and he since did the Kings Springs / bumps same as mine installed by a pro.
                17MY Pajero Sport, Factory Towbar, King Springs KCRS-23/Pedders 5899 Cones, 265/70R17 A/T's for the rough trips.

Comment

• denisp
                  • Dec 2018
                  • Mt Eliza

I have a 2018 GLS that has covered just under 30ks. It is fitted with factory nudge bar, snorkel, tow bar and Thule roof bars and Ridge Ryder 3m awning. In addition to the accessories, I carry some tools, recovery gear a couple of camp chairs and other stuff in the cargo area – weight would be in the region of say 75 – 100kg.

I have recently started to carry my dirt bike on a motorcycle bike carrier installed into the tow hitch, of the factory tow bar. Problem I have is that when the bike is loaded, the stock standard rear suspension sags considerably, greatly reducing ground clearance of the bike rack and therefore affecting the departure angle (not helped by the low height of factory tow bar).

The bike rack weighs approx. 25kg and the bike approx. 132kg. I am planning on upgrading the suspension, together with adding a bullbar and winch but that will not happen until later next year (unless I win Lotto), so in the meantime I am looking for suggestions for economical options for improving the rear suspension/sag to adequately accommodate the motor bike and rack.

Is this achievable without having to invest (yet), in expensive front and rear full suspension and/or expensive rear airbags, I will admit that I am totally ignorant on the subject of suspension and am therefore seeking advice.

Cheers.
                  That's one heavy dirt bike. My Yamaha 250 was 106kg wet. The size of the bike must be a hard fit on the back.
                  Perhaps a re-think is needed.

Comment

• Bladerunner99
                    • Apr 2019
                    • Sydney

Originally posted by DID Dash View Post
                    Hey Bladerunner99, was surprised to hear you managed to fit the pedders cones without removing the factory coils. A mate and I tried it once without success. What’s the trick? Did you remove the lower shock mount? Brake lines ? We only jacked both sides up at same time and found that there was no way to slide the new pedders stops between the stretched coils. We must not have tried hard enough and he since did the Kings Springs / bumps same as mine installed by a pro.

Hi DID Dash
                    I jacked rear of car using trolley jack under rear diff and installed axle stands on each side of rear chassis as detailed in manual. I then lowered vehicle down onto axle stands which allowed whole rear axle to lower down to full drop, this allowed for sufficient space between fully extended coils to manipulate cone springs into position.

I did not have to un-bolt anything else, in fact I was able to very slightly move/twist rear coils as there was little pressure holding them. I wondered if it would have been possible to remove them with spring compressors and insert kings springs without having to un-bolt anything (should I decide to install).

Comment

• Bladerunner99
                      • Apr 2019
                      • Sydney

Originally posted by denisp View Post
                      That's one heavy dirt bike. My Yamaha 250 was 106kg wet. The size of the bike must be a hard fit on the back.
                      Perhaps a re-think is needed.

Haha Yes it is, CRF450L 132kg wet but losing weight as I modify. Size wise same as most 450 dirt bikes, fits well on rack and Pedders cone springs have improved the rear sag, still undecided on fitting springs or waiting till I upgrade full suspension setup.

Comment

• old Jack
                        Regular
                        • Jun 2011

Yes it is possible to remove the coils using spring compressors, I have a pair of Toledo and they were about 75mm too long so I had the cut them down so they would fit. These were ok for the factory coils and KCRS-23 and Lovells CR69-HD but as soon as I was working with much stronger coils such as the Lovells CR69-EHD and CR69-EHDVR is became obvious that the spring compressors I have would not be heavy duty enough to do the job safely.

So I started to remove and replace coils one side at a time by removing the wheel, disconnecting the sway bar link and lower shocker mount, loosen the brake line clamps, remove the axle articulation stop and work through the wheel arch from the side. This proved easier and quicker rather than crawling around under the vehicle.
                        I can remove and refit rear coils in about 40 minutes to 45 minutes a side and I am almost 60!

OJ.

Comment

• Bladerunner99
                          • Apr 2019
                          • Sydney

Ah yes I forgot to mention that I did also remove both rear wheels and worked from outside, would have been rather difficult working from the inside.

Comment

• DID Dash
                            • Aug 2016
                            • Australia

Thanks Bladerunner, clearly we didn’t try hard enough. We were at full droop on both sides and I felt like we were about 10mm too tight to pass the pedders bumps between the coils, but did notice the factory coils were quite loose on the seats. It was supposed to be a quick job before dinner, but we gave up and had a beer when it proved more difficult than planned.
                            17MY Pajero Sport, Factory Towbar, King Springs KCRS-23/Pedders 5899 Cones, 265/70R17 A/T's for the rough trips.

Comment

• Bladerunner99
                              • Apr 2019
                              • Sydney

Originally posted by DID Dash View Post
                              Thanks Bladerunner, clearly we didn’t try hard enough. We were at full droop on both sides and I felt like we were about 10mm too tight to pass the pedders bumps between the coils, but did notice the factory coils were quite loose on the seats. It was supposed to be a quick job before dinner, but we gave up and had a beer when it proved more difficult than planned.

Mine is a 7 seater (with 3rd row removed), just wondering if yours is a 5 seater and coils are different. Maybe one for OJ?

Comment

• old Jack
                                Regular
                                • Jun 2011

Mine is a 7 seater (with 3rd row removed), just wondering if yours is a 5 seater and coils are different. Maybe one for OJ?
                                Yes there is a difference but only 6mm in coil length between the 5 and 7 seater models.
                                Both coils are 14mm diameter wire and progressive rate but I do not know if they both have the same number of turns or are the same spacing between the turns.

OJ.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X