• Show
Clear All
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by Flying View Post
    x2
    I get very high trans temps when towing up / down hills... you have to be able to monitor it.
    Hi Flying,

What do you all high ATF temperatures?
    Do you drive in Auto or Sport Mode?

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Flying
      • Jul 2016
      • Sydney

100 - 115 is not uncommon, always use paddles when towing, never use cruise
      White 2016 Pajero Sport GLS, MM bullbar, HR towbar + andersen hitch, towpro, lovells 2" lift, cooper at3's, bushskinz, thule bars, clearviews, redarc bcdc + 110ah lithium, engel MRF40 fridge, GME TX3350, cel-fi go, ultragauge, idrive, nitro maxx 22" LED bar, awning, cargo barrier, ARB compressor.

Comment

• old Jack
        Regular
        • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Flying View Post
        100 - 115 is not uncommon, always use paddles when towing, never use cruise
        Agree these are high ATF temps
        What weight are you towing?
        After a long hard climb and the ATF increases does if decrease on the downhill, stay the same of increase?

OJ.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• Flying
          • Jul 2016
          • Sydney

2600 -2700... It would usually not go higher after you reach the top but can sometimes stay high for a few minutes until you get to a nice calm section where you can get nice airflow and not have and demand on the box... usually drops to 80-90 within 5 mins or so
          White 2016 Pajero Sport GLS, MM bullbar, HR towbar + andersen hitch, towpro, lovells 2" lift, cooper at3's, bushskinz, thule bars, clearviews, redarc bcdc + 110ah lithium, engel MRF40 fridge, GME TX3350, cel-fi go, ultragauge, idrive, nitro maxx 22" LED bar, awning, cargo barrier, ARB compressor.

Comment

• josmond
            • Sep 2020
            • QUAKERS HILL

Hi Folks,

So had the new springs and bump stops installed today, here are the numbers:

The below tables are:
            Before - Unhitched
            After - Hitched

Before spring upgrade:
            _____Before___After___Diff
            FL____530_____540____10
            FR____530_____540____10
            BL____555_____505___-50
            BR____545_____505___-40
            TB____460_____370___-90

After Spring upgrade:
            _____Before___After___Diff
            FL____530_____540____10
            FR____530_____540____10
            BL____585_____545___-40
            BR____580_____545___-35
            TB____515_____435___-80

Comparing just the backs

Unhitched:
            ____Old Spring: 545
            ____New Spring 580
            ____Raised: 35

Hitched:
            ____Old Spring: 505
            ____New Spring 540
            ____Raised: 40

So looking much better, haven't taken it for a drive with the van yet, just hitched up in the drive way for measuring.

WDH also arrived so will work on getting that attached and adjusted during the week.

Comment

• old Jack
              Regular
              • Jun 2011

Seems like a good result but the rear coils will settle about 5mm to 10mm from where they are when first fitted.
              You should notice the difference even more when driving both hitched and unhitched, there should be less wallowing and pitching of the rear suspension.

Once the WDH is fitted and setup correctly, only to return the front ride height measurements back to the pre-hitched measurements then the whole setup should tow and ride much better.

Hopefully this is good enough and you do not need to go down the airbag route.

OJ.

Comment

• josmond
                • Sep 2020
                • QUAKERS HILL

So I hooked up the WDH today, just did a quick test and didn't dial it in precisely, but rough measurements (also car was on a bit of a sideways angle, need to do again on fully flat):

Front wheel:
                No Van: 515
                Van (no WDH): 525
                Van (WDH): 520

Back wheel:
                No Van: 600
                Van (no WDH): 560
                Van (WDH): 565

So reduce the front lift from 10mm to 5mm.
                My socket wrench didn't fit in the provided socket for tightening the chains, so that was just by hand tightening, I'll go to Bunnings and get a proper socket for it which should hopefully allow me to tight properly and bring the front back down the extra 5mm.

What's the recommendation with the Anderson WDH for reversing, tight maneuvering, or rough roads etc?
                To get to my parking spot on the drive way, i do have a bit where the car and van are at quiet different angles going up a slope to the levelish ground at the top. Hoping that I don't need to disconnect to get up over that.

Comment

• Dicko1
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2014
                  • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by josmond View Post
                  So I hooked up the WDH today, just did a quick test and didn't dial it in precisely, but rough measurements (also car was on a bit of a sideways angle, need to do again on fully flat):

Front wheel:

Back wheel:

My socket wrench didn't fit in the provided socket for tightening the chains, so that was just by hand tightening, I'll go to Bunnings and get a proper socket for it which should hopefully allow me to tight properly and bring the front back down the extra 5mm.

What's the recommendation with the Anderson WDH for reversing, tight maneuvering, or rough roads etc?
                  To get to my parking spot on the drive way, i do have a bit where the car and van are at quiet different angles going up a slope to the levelish ground at the top. Hoping that I don't need to disconnect to get up over that.

What are the actual weights of your van from the weighbridge? Tare when empty and fully loaded.
                  Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• old Jack
                    Regular
                    • Jun 2011

Front wheel:

Back wheel:

This is all progressing Josh

Once you have the Anderson hitch set up correctly it will be interesting to hear how your towing experience has changed.

No need to disconnect the Anderson WDH when reversing or when going through drains, as long as the trailer movement is within the articulation range of the 50mm ball. This is one of the major benefits of using an Anderson WDH.
                    View the best Weight Distribution Hitch here. Shop with us today for high quality trailer hitches and gear that is strong and versatile.

OJ.

Comment

• orthodoxs
                      • Mar 2018
                      • Darwin

S

Like OJ said, you dont have to remove for reversing or inclines. I haven't used one but, after assembling it, lifting the A frame with the jockey and then tigtening the chains may be the right way to go, instead of cranking it with full load on the chains. once levelled users detach the triangular plate each time they need to decouple leaving the chains and triangular plate attached to the frame. You must be aware of this by now as there are many videos on U tube.
                      How much did you get it for and where from? pls share your opinions as i may need to change mine from the HR type tension bars and chain as i had to move the A frame chain attachment clamps more towards the caravan ( now the chains are not Vertical and become excessively tight when turning.)
                      P.S: If you detach the plate while the tow is at an angle to the caravan after parking, it may need a small trick to get it back on or you will have to reverse the tow back in the same angle.

Comment

• josmond
                        • Sep 2020
                        • QUAKERS HILL

Hi All,

So we are a few days in to our school holiday trip and done 2 long drives with the van and it towed nice and smoothly. Towed it on highway and winding roads, and there was no sway and it felt balanced.

The WDH is easy to use, just as mentioned need to make sure it is aligned the same or use the trick of only adding 1 sided to straighten. I use the lifting of the towball method and its easy to hitch and unhitch that way.

Thank you all for helping and making me feel more confident and safer on the roads.
                        Time to start planning what the new tow vehicle will be!

Comment

• old Jack
                          Regular
                          • Jun 2011

Hi Josh,

Glad you are happy with the results of the suspension upgrade and WDH.

OJ.

Comment

• Dicko1
                            Valued Member
                            • Dec 2014
                            • Cairns, FNQ

Here are a few tips in getting the weight down....

Some good ideas...
                            Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Ian H
                              Valued Member
                              • May 2015
                              • Melbourne

Thank you all for helping and making me feel more confident and safer on the roads.
                              Time to start planning what the new tow vehicle will be!
                              I reckon you are to be congratulated on going through the process and not burying your head in the sand like so many do.
                              2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• orthodoxs
                                • Mar 2018
                                • Darwin

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                                Here are a few tips in getting the weight down....

Some good ideas...
                                To note: the lead batteries are first on the hit list. I think all ends well for the OP and if the set up cruises well AND it is legal, it may be redundant to change the tow rig, might as well fill up the water tanks and add a solenoid controlled dump valve for the water if pulled over. jus kiddin of course.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X