• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WHID
    • Oct 2019
    • Melbourne

Prematurely? Changing Oil & Filter

After my previous and initial foray into matters maintenance (installing a catch-can), it was suggested in these pages and in a jocular manner, that next, I might be changing my oil/oil filter myself. Guess what? It might happen.

It has taken a while (I tend to ponder, excruciatingly, about things of which I know little), but yes, the idea of doing an oil/oil filter change appeals to me. Rightly or wrongly, I have it in my head that I would like to do intermediate (six monthly - mid term) changes.

Currently my 2019 QE Paj. Sport has travelled 4,950km since new. It has only done 3,440km since its inaugural (1,500km) service. At that service and against the dealer's advice, I asked for the oil/oil filter to be changed. However, it has now been six (6) months since that service.

Time to change the oil/oil filter again, methinks. I know, I know, . . . it's all a bit OCD . . . call me a 'can't', because I can't help it.

I think I 'get' the physical act of doing the job which will be done with the car on ramps and after removal of the aftermarket bash-plates.

Allowing that this old and decrepit body will be able to manoeuvre around enough to complete this task, are there any 'traps' into which a 'not-so-young' player might fall?

One question which exercises my mind continually is; does the onboard computer/management system need to be updated to reflect such oil/filter change? Unfortunately, for me, I like to have 't's crossed and 'i's dotted (OCD, again).

If so, how would I discover how to effect such an update?

As always, advice is thoroughly appreciated . . . thank you.
    Last edited by WHID; 04-07-20, 04:29 PM.
    Paj. Sport Exceed MY2019 - 'Genuine' Tow Bar / Boo's Bash Plates / SS Hoops on an Ironman Bull Bar with Recovery Points / 7" 48W LED Driving Lights / Western Filters/Provent 200 Catch Can / at 3,400km, its first pin-stripes - *he winces*
  • CountP
    • Feb 2010
    • Gold Coast

I've got a 2019 GLS. I manage to change the oil without jacking the vehicle up. It takes longer to drop and replace the under trays than it takes to change the oil.
    Access to the oil filter is good, it sits on the front of the motor. Make sure you drain the engine oil and not the front diff. The sump plug is offset to the right, drivers side.
    I'm also OCD and found that getting the oil level correct can be tricky. It always comes back from a service with too much oil in. I know the oil level will rise with time but OCD.
    I let the dealer put their oil in at the service which goes black in a day. I then drop that oil out and fill with Penrite which will then stay clearish for a few weeks.
    How does that compare with your OCD?

Comment

• Keithyv
      Valued Member
      • May 2018
      • Perth

OCD or not, there's no way an oil change is required. You are just wasting your money doing so IMHO.
      2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
      MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• WHID
        • Oct 2019
        • Melbourne

Originally posted by CountP View Post
        How does that compare with your OCD?
        Ha ha ha! I think I may have found a new level . . .

Thank you CountP, I'm likin' your advice.

Thank you too, Keithyv, it's 'on board'.

Cheers . . .
        Paj. Sport Exceed MY2019 - 'Genuine' Tow Bar / Boo's Bash Plates / SS Hoops on an Ironman Bull Bar with Recovery Points / 7" 48W LED Driving Lights / Western Filters/Provent 200 Catch Can / at 3,400km, its first pin-stripes - *he winces*

Comment

• DibbyDibbyDJ
          Valued Member
          • Sep 2019
          • Victoria

If you choose to do your own servicing thats fine. You cant update your service indicator without a bi directional scan tool, and you probably want to get your scheduled servicing done at a dealer anyway.

The only other things they do computer wise is check for codes, SQL and reset the Oil exchange counter.

The counter is a total of all extra fuel put into the engine needed to regenerate the DPF. The counter records from 0cc to 1550cc. 1550cc is when the warning comes on. At every service i start off by physically checking the oil level on the stick. If it is near the X i know to be looking for an issue with the system. i would then look at the oil counter to record the reading and look for codes.

Most cars have a 0cc reading between services. This tells me the engine is regenerating well on its own and the oil level on the dipstick would be around normal. If it has 1000cc i would be looking for possible faults. The oil level on the dipstick would also be high.

I would not advise worrying about resetting the oil counter at your 5000km intervals. This could mask any faults. If you reset it at 10000, then brought it to me at 150000 i would look at counter and see for example 500cc. And this would be ok for 15000 interval, but not for 5000 interval. So it woud be best to leave that side of it to the dealer. They may question why the counter is high, but the oil level isnt. But im sure you would let them know you are having extra services.

Another good tip would be to not overtighten your oil filters or sump plugs. Filters are only hand tight. NEVER use a tool to give it a bit extra. And the sump plugs should only be to 39nm. If overtightened, the threads deform easily and make it tight removing next time. And always use a new washer.
          2024 Outlander

Diamond Technician at Main Dealer

mitsubishi-forums

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2016
            • Greater Sydney

As you have years of warranty left it maybe best to purchase genuine oil and filter as some dealers/manufacturers can be funny if you don't use OEM.

We The only time our NS Pajero saw genuine oil and filter was when the dealer did a forced regen under warranty.

Over 3330,000 on it now. Never have done six monthly changes as oil is changed every 7,500.

Some here say do 10,000K changes. others say 15,000 or even 20,000.

It's your Sport. You oil. Your money. Your choice.

Comment

• Pixie_au
              • Apr 2019
              • Queensland

Remember that your first warranty service is due 12 months from purchase not the 1500km service.

At 3500km/6 months you're probably not far off your 12 month service.

Comment

• ger08
                • Jan 2014
                • Perth

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
                As you have years of warranty left it maybe best to purchase genuine oil and filter as some dealers/manufacturers can be funny if you don't use OEM.

We The only time our NS Pajero saw genuine oil and filter was when the dealer did a forced regen under warranty.

Over 3330,000 on it now. Never have done six monthly changes as oil is changed every 7,500.

Some here say do 10,000K changes. others say 15,000 or even 20,000.

It's your Sport. You oil. Your money. Your choice.
                That’s interesting because I’ve had several mid cycle services done by two different MMA dealers and all dealers have used non genuine filters.
                Last edited by ger08; 04-07-20, 07:34 PM.

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                  Valued Member
                  • Aug 2016
                  • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by Pixie_au View Post
                  Remember that your first warranty service is due 12 months from purchase not the 1500km service.

At 3500km/6 months you're probably not far off your 12 month service.

Or 15,000ks whichever comes first.

Yes I doubt WHID will reach 15,00ks in the next 6 months.

If he wants to service it more often and is happy to do so why not?

Comment

• Pixie_au
                    • Apr 2019
                    • Queensland

Did I say don't do it? No. Just pointing out what the servicing interval is based on in case OP assumed it was the 1500k service

There is a cumulative environmental impact of people over servicing their vehicles but I'm guessing that wouldn't worry you

Comment

• WHID
                      • Oct 2019
                      • Melbourne

Originally posted by Pixie_au View Post
                      Remember that your first warranty service is due (at) 12 months from purchase . . . At 3500km/6 months you're probably not far off your 12 month service.
                      That's something I have been chewing over too, Pixie. Thanks for that.

Clearly, I don't do many kilometres, most of which are touring, rural km's - no towing, etc. At the 12 months dealer service - due early November - I'll probably have only around 7,000 on the clock anyway (less than half of the recommended 15,000).

Passing this 6 month period and not doing anything about an oil change, will gnaw at me, I'm sure. Even though I have travelled only about 3,500 km. Is there any strong medication for this?

If I take this route, will I be able to sleep easily for the next four months?

Although I'm itching to have a go at an oil/filter change, it is clear I don't do enough travelling to warrant it.

One of these days . . . .

Thank you all for very helpful advice - as I said previously; it's all on board.

Cheers . . .

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                        Valued Member
                        • Aug 2016
                        • Greater Sydney

[QUOTE=Pixie_au;635973]Did I say don't do it? No. Just pointing out what the servicing interval is based on in case OP assumed it was the 1500k service

There is a cumulative environmental impact of people over servicing their vehicles but in sure that wouldn't concern you[/QUOTE

There is a cumulative environmental impact with people driving diesel powered 4X4s. Does that concern you?

Funny how you think you know what concerns me.

BTW. Sorry but what concerns me is not your business.

Comment

• Pixie_au
                          • Apr 2019
                          • Queensland

I did 8000 in my first twelve months. I'm not concerned.

A good reason to do an oil change yourself at some stage is so that if you happen to be doing a big trip, clocking up the mileage quickly, then you'll know how to do it yourself without going to a mechanic.

Comment

• Pixie_au
                            • Apr 2019
                            • Queensland

Sorry B&B.

Your posts are often so prickly yet you bite so easily I couldn't help throwing out a bait.

Comment

• WHID
                              • Oct 2019
                              • Melbourne

Sorry chaps.

I didn't mean to start a 'flame fight'. Sometimes, the written word has difficulty conveying the intended message.

Go well . . . WHID

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X