• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • piggie_84
    • Aug 2019
    • Australia

Mechanic quote and new member introduction

G'day all, first post so please be gentle (as I don't have any lube on me).

Have been reading on here for a while and the knowledge and suggestions have been invaluable from a minor upgrade/modification point of view.

Mechanic mentioned a few servicing issues that he quoted at the last service, hoping to get an indication as to whether the pricing is on the money or should I shop around before next service (which is due now).

- Brake and Clutch fluid flush - $120
    - New fan belts - $115
    - New fuel filter - $92
    - Engine mounts leaking fluid, require replacement - $400
    - Suggest Valve Clearance check as a precaution

Background:-

Car has just ticked over the 95k mark. We purchased it almost 15k ago from an elderly couple who bought it as their retirement vehicle to tow a caravan, they loved it so much they upgraded to the 2017 model. Paid a bit too much but it had low km's for its age and everything was well looked after and very tidy. It did have poly air bags on the rear however they were perished so were removed. Have since gone for the Bilstein/Lovells raised suspension upgrade and absolutely loving the ride. Wife drives it unfortunately a vast majority of the time, it is more of a weekend off-road toy for me. Living in NQ we have heaps of fun tracks around the place.

It was pretty well set-up with the basics when we purchased it:
    - Steel colour coded ARB b/bar
    - Trailer Boss and Hayman Reese t/bar
    - Safari Snorkel
    - Redarc EBC
    - Spare tire lift
    - Rhino racks (no basket)

To come very soon:-
    - Provent catch can
    - EGR Blanking plate
    - Manifold/intake clean

Anything else the guru's on here would recommend doing to the Paj?

Happy Friday, appreciate your time and for reading this.

Rhys
    Last edited by piggie_84; 09-10-19, 11:31 AM. Reason: Forgot
    NT Platinum MY10
  • spot01
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2011
    • Adelaide

Welcome

First 4 items sound reasonable to me.

The valve clearances (if done properly) take a few hours work + a parts kit, so quite expensive job unless needed/due. Do you have the service history of the car? (there is a separate page in the service book to record injector pipe removals when doing the valves, although not all mechanics fill it out) Call the previous owner &/or their mechanic to check when last done. If you don't have the service history, there are a few other items to consider, eg, air filter, coolant, auto fluid (due every 90k if towing), diff/transfer oils, etc.

I'd also think about the radiator hoses next time the coolant is changed.

Note the extra service items page in the service book for cars that tow.
    Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Dicko1
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2014
      • Cairns, FNQ

What part of FNQ?
      Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Onsan
        • Aug 2019
        • Townsville

I'm a bit surprised with the engine mounts, we racked up 280K on our NM and they were still fine. But in saying that I had a commodore that needed them at 150k.
        But it did get a boot more often I suppose.
        2011 NW Pajero Platinum

Comment

• Hill
          Valued Member
          • Sep 2007
          • Adelaide

Rys

Re Tappets

Check your service books re when last adjusted. You should see evidence of a new gasket set. If serviced at a Mitsubishi service centre they will have a record of work completed. I phoned the service centre that serviced my Pajero before purchase to check history.

There is much written on service intervals on the forum. I think there is some consensus that 30k initial check is critical and 60 k km intervals thereafter.

If in doubt have the tappets adjusted as a priority.

Hill
          200 Series
          AOR Quantum 4

Comment

• Rhys Williams
            • Aug 2019
            • BRINSMEAD

Thank you legends. In Cairns btw.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Allan2
              • May 2013
              • Mid Nort Coast, NSW

Cabin Filter.
              2009 NT, 3.2 Auto, D/Lights & Light Bar, EGR mod, Sump and Inter Cooler Guards, Tow Bar, Bog Standard.

Comment

• sawtellrob
                • Apr 2014
                • Sawtell

Just had my mechanic check my valves at 117k, the last was at 60k and all were spot on he tells me. He did clean the EGR valve and manifold and said he removed about a large double handful of gunk. Am researching an EGR blanking cable to keep all clean from now on. For peace of mind do the valves and have a manifold clean at the same time
                2010 GLS silver, colour coded ARB bullbar, Redarc dual batteries, Redarc Towpro Elite, Climax suspension upgrade for 300kg on tow ball and Automate

Comment

• spot01
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2011
                  • Adelaide

Originally posted by sawtellrob View Post
                  Just had my mechanic check my valves at 117k, the last was at 60k and all were spot on he tells me. He did clean the EGR valve and manifold and said he removed about a large double handful of gunk. Am researching an EGR blanking cable to keep all clean from now on. For peace of mind do the valves and have a manifold clean at the same time
                  Suggest also research catch cans - some say they also solve the issue whilst remaining environmentally friendly and legal.
                  Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• dundee10
                    • Aug 2011
                    • Secret Harbour, WA

Prices for the service items seems fair, tappets are about a 4 hours so they will not be cheap especially if the fuel lines need changing. Cabin filter remove and wash with soapy water and dry in the sun. I have 130,000ks on my Pajero and the mount is starting to go on the passenger side with a very bad shake, so will get all them checked, warranty job coming up, luckily I've got a 10 year warranty.
                    Pajero NT Active DiD, MMC Stainless Steel Bull Bar, 9.500lb Winch, Overlander Roof Rack, Hella 4000 Spotlights, Uniden UH7760NB Radio.

Comment

• Little Devil
                      • Feb 2016
                      • Valley View, South Australia

Egr

Put an electronic delete on your ride, a blanking plate is not the best option.
                      Catch can smart move.
                      Enjoy your Paj
                      My19 ZL Outlander Diesel Auto. Ultra Gauge MX, Uniden CB, 270 Batwing Awning, Catch Can

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people.

Comment

• piggie_84
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Australia

Update - going in on Friday for service, catch can install and egr delete, plus brake and fluid flush, fan belt replacement and new fuel filter.

The engine mounts quoted @ $400 total fitted ($95 each) were aftermarket. I've read on here best to replace with genuine, have been quoted $330 each! Sufficed to say I am going to hold off until they get a bit worse, as I can't notice any major issues, there a bit of a shudder on start up and that's it but if you just start in neutral there's f**k all vibration.

Managed to get the service records from previous MM dealership who serviced the car previously, the valves were done at 60k so I will hold off until 120k.

Thanks Little Devil, I had seriously considered electronic delete but for now just going to go a blanking plate and see how she goes. Mechanic said just throw a plate on it (I've used him for years and value his advice, plus he is a local MM trained technician) I've got the torque app set-up from my previous vehicle so will be interested to see figures.

Do you guys recommend any online retailers for genuine MM parts? Or know where I can get two genuine engine mounts at good price? Or is $330 each pretty standard.

I'm like a fat kid with candy, anyone else get excited about giving away money and having a comprehensive service done?

Cheers!
                        NT Platinum MY10

Comment

• Dicko1
                          Valued Member
                          • Dec 2014
                          • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by piggie_84 View Post
                          Update - going in on Friday for service, catch can install and egr delete, plus brake and fluid flush, fan belt replacement and new fuel filter.

The engine mounts quoted @ $400 total fitted ($95 each) were aftermarket. I've read on here best to replace with genuine, have been quoted $330 each! Sufficed to say I am going to hold off until they get a bit worse, as I can't notice any major issues, there a bit of a shudder on start up and that's it but if you just start in neutral there's f**k all vibration.

Managed to get the service records from previous MM dealership who serviced the car previously, the valves were done at 60k so I will hold off until 120k.

Thanks Little Devil, I had seriously considered electronic delete but for now just going to go a blanking plate and see how she goes. Mechanic said just throw a plate on it (I've used him for years and value his advice, plus he is a local MM trained technician) I've got the torque app set-up from my previous vehicle so will be interested to see figures.

Do you guys recommend any online retailers for genuine MM parts? Or know where I can get two genuine engine mounts at good price? Or is $330 each pretty standard.

I'm like a fat kid with candy, anyone else get excited about giving away money and having a comprehensive service done?

Cheers!

Many on here use this mob...

Amayama Trading Co. specializes in new genuine parts for used & import Japanese cars. Full warranty. Fast delivery. Very low prices. Request a quote online now.

Good value!
                          Last edited by Dicko1; 09-10-19, 05:30 PM. Reason: spell error
                          Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X