Valve Clearances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Clearances

There has been a lot of discussion on the forum about valve clearances, cam chains and chain guides for the 3.2 litre diesel engine, so I though I'd put in my 2 cent's worth. Having paid through the nose for the 45,000k service at which valve clearances are supposed to be checked, I thought I should check them myself to prepare for a trip (Melbourne Perth Melbourne). The Paj has now done 72,500ks. I changed the top chain guide although the old one looked barely worn (see photo). Interestingly the new one was slightly different and the piece of moulded nylon/plastic was slightly loose on the metal plate.

The valve clearances were a little out. For the purposes of this exercise I numbered the valves from front to rear, that is from 1 to 8 on each side.
    The exhaust valves and their clearances were, 1:4thou,2:6thou,3:6thou,4:6thou,5:5thou,6:8thou,7: 5thou,8:4thou.
    The inlet valves and their clearances were, 1:4+thou,2:3+thou,3:3thou,4:3thou,5:2+thou,6:3thou ,7:4thou,8:2+thou.
    Any that were more than half a thou out I adjusted. Should I have been concerned about the small amounts that they were out. Was 2+ thou on an inlet valve worth worrying about?

Have started the engine to check for leaks etc but haven't yet driven it. It will be interesting to see if there is any noticeable difference. In the meantime my back is just starting to recover after about 4 hours rest.

Incidentally the easiest way the turn over the engine was to loosen the first 3 glow plugs
    (the 4th one was inaccessible), jack up the back wheel, put it in 5th gear and turn the back wheel forwards with the help of a wheel brace. (Tough luck you auto drivers!)
    regards
    Lindsay
    Attached Files
  • Pathy
    • Aug 2007
    • Wondai QLD

Originally posted by rosahan View Post
    There has been a lot of discussion on the forum about valve clearances, cam chains and chain guides for the 3.2 litre diesel engine, so I though I'd put in my 2 cent's worth. Having paid through the nose for the 45,000k service at which valve clearances are supposed to be checked, I thought I should check them myself to prepare for a trip (Melbourne Perth Melbourne). The Paj has now done 72,500ks. I changed the top chain guide although the old one looked barely worn (see photo). Interestingly the new one was slightly different and the piece of moulded nylon/plastic was slightly loose on the metal plate.

The valve clearances were a little out. For the purposes of this exercise I numbered the valves from front to rear, that is from 1 to 8 on each side.
    The exhaust valves and their clearances were, 1:4thou,2:6thou,3:6thou,4:6thou,5:5thou,6:8thou,7: 5thou,8:4thou.
    The inlet valves and their clearances were, 1:4+thou,2:3+thou,3:3thou,4:3thou,5:2+thou,6:3thou ,7:4thou,8:2+thou.
    Any that were more than half a thou out I adjusted. Should I have been concerned about the small amounts that they were out. Was 2+ thou on an inlet valve worth worrying about?

Have started the engine to check for leaks etc but haven't yet driven it. It will be interesting to see if there is any noticeable difference. In the meantime my back is just starting to recover after about 4 hours rest.

Incidentally the easiest way the turn over the engine was to loosen the first 3 glow plugs
    (the 4th one was inaccessible), jack up the back wheel, put it in 5th gear and turn the back wheel forwards with the help of a wheel brace. (Tough luck you auto drivers!)
    regards
    Lindsay
    My chain guide was the same at 110 000kms, I turned the engine over via the alternater.
    Marc
    1st month 2004 GLS Pajero 3.2 diesel, auto, ecb bullbar, compact ralley 4000's, towbar,Kings Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Pirelli ATR's,Homemade Bash Plates, Homemade Diff breathers.

Comment

• brett
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2007

Turning the engine over was easy by using the alternator. Jacking it up and turning a wheel sounds like way too much trouble and not necessary
      Just remember only to turn clockwise.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
      Working...
      X