X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michaelj15
    • Feb 2016
    • Sydney

Yeh its been a funny one for me, as i said prior my temp gauge flickered end of last year - the feedback i got was that the engine temp sensor was faulty, now second time round the coolant temperature sensor was faulty. So i do hope theres not too many more sensors that can go wrong...

Comment

• Dave.db
      • Feb 2014
      • Kempsey nsw

PB 2012 Challenger overheating

Have just bought this car back on the 20th Aug 18 from a local car dealer, the road test went fine as it was about 30 klms once I had taken delivery I took it on a couple of trips from Kempsey to Port Macq Temp gauge shower at about half way up scale once I arrived back home the next day I noticed the radiator water bottle was rising and when I released the radiator cap on a cold motor pressure escaped, the cap is a 127kpa and the coolant was looking very strong, Wednesday 12th we went for a run down to foster and on the way home as we got to Cooperbung Range the temp gauge went balistic the engine light came on we puuled off the A1 mind you it was now pitch black with the aid of the phone torch the water bottle had been spewing in the engine bay awaited for motor to cool a bit and transfered the water back into the radiator, we then restarted and got back home some 23ks.
      What worries me is the possible outcome and as it appears I am the third owner of the vehicle and its age 2012 is there any hope for a reasonable answer from MMA

Comment

• russ1
        • Feb 2011
        • adelaide

Originally posted by Dave.db View Post
        Have just bought this car back on the 20th Aug 18 from a local car dealer, the road test went fine as it was about 30 klms once I had taken delivery I took it on a couple of trips from Kempsey to Port Macq Temp gauge shower at about half way up scale once I arrived back home the next day I noticed the radiator water bottle was rising and when I released the radiator cap on a cold motor pressure escaped, the cap is a 127kpa and the coolant was looking very strong, Wednesday 12th we went for a run down to foster and on the way home as we got to Cooperbung Range the temp gauge went balistic the engine light came on we puuled off the A1 mind you it was now pitch black with the aid of the phone torch the water bottle had been spewing in the engine bay awaited for motor to cool a bit and transfered the water back into the radiator, we then restarted and got back home some 23ks.
        What worries me is the possible outcome and as it appears I am the third owner of the vehicle and its age 2012 is there any hope for a reasonable answer from MMA
        These are the same symptoms I had recently on my 2010 model and they replaced the motor. Not sure if yours is after the batch of motors that had problems with the block seals blowing engine gases into the water gallies and out via the reservoir bottle. I see you have the 127kpa cap which was part of the recall program so maybe. Check the recall documents, you might be able to make a claim. By the way, mine drove normal after it spewed all the coolant out but it was terminal. Good luck

Comment

• Chris4x4
          • May 2012
          • Geelong

Originally posted by Dave.db View Post

Seems you’ve only bought the car 4 weeks ago. If it has less than 160,000km and is less than 10 years old, NSW fair trading seems to say the selling dealer needs to fix it within 3 months. Haven’t heard of anyone being rejected a new motor due to this well known failure by mma so I would think you have a good chance, all the best.
          2022 Paj Sport, Grey, nicely hidden factory towbar, thanks MM,

Comment

• Ben470
            • Sep 2018
            • Perth, Western Australia

Hi,

I know this left feild from the conversion but related to the overheating issue;
            Can anyone comment on length of time I can leave my cooling system empty?
            As the thermostat housing is currently mangled and might take time to fix. Will gaskets/ head be damaged by oxygen in the system for days on end?
            Any advice appreciated.
            Cheers,

Comment

• KevL
              • May 2015
              • Murphys Creek

It’s fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• acem8
                • Jul 2011
                • Queensland

My MY12 Challenger overheated for the first time this week exactly 4 years after the 127KPa cap was fitted as part of the 020116 'Preventative Action Service Campaign'. Despite showing them their invoice and work procedure from 2014 the dealer is refusing to acknowledge that my vehicle was part of campaign and also tell me that the manufacturers warranty has expired (I have the 10 year powertrain and have only done 80k). MMA put it in an email that neither is true but they still refuse to touch the vehicle until I pay a $120 diagnosis fee which will be very hard to recover when they conveniently fail to replicate the issue in their workshop. MMA are now backing them up on this.

This is really nice work on their part after paying their hefty dealer service charges for 6 years. I wouldn't mind but last year they had to rebuild the manual gearbox under the powertrain warranty due to the 3rd/4th gear synchro issue. They initially tried to charge a diagnosis fee but I guess it was such an obvious issue it was always going to be refunded.

What should I do here? From what people are saying once the engine has cooled (and the coolant topped up) the warning light goes out and it operates as normal until the next time. A friend of mine with a Triton broke down 3 times before they eventually gave in and fitted a new gearbox. I don't really fancy paying the $120 fee plus the expensive 84 month service now when we all know a new engine will probably have to be fitted.

I wouldn't buy another Mitsubishi, 2 serious defects on a vehicle that has done less than 80k. If it wasn't for the 10 year powertrain warranty this would be very expensive motoring.
                MY12 PB Challenger LS Manual in Ironbark. Cooper AT3's, HR Towbar, Tints

Comment

• old Jack
                  Regular
                  • Jun 2011
                  • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by acem8 View Post
                  My MY12 Challenger overheated for the first time this week exactly 4 years after the 127KPa cap was fitted as part of the 020116 'Preventative Action Service Campaign'. Despite showing them their invoice and work procedure from 2014 the dealer is refusing to acknowledge that my vehicle was part of campaign and also tell me that the manufacturers warranty has expired (I have the 10 year powertrain and have only done 80k). MMA put it in an email that neither is true but they still refuse to touch the vehicle until I pay a $120 diagnosis fee which will be very hard to recover when they conveniently fail to replicate the issue in their workshop. MMA are now backing them up on this.

This is really nice work on their part after paying their hefty dealer service charges for 6 years. I wouldn't mind but last year they had to rebuild the manual gearbox under the powertrain warranty due to the 3rd/4th gear synchro issue. They initially tried to charge a diagnosis fee but I guess it was such an obvious issue it was always going to be refunded.

What should I do here? From what people are saying once the engine has cooled (and the coolant topped up) the warning light goes out and it operates as normal until the next time. A friend of mine with a Triton broke down 3 times before they eventually gave in and fitted a new gearbox. I don't really fancy paying the $120 fee plus the expensive 84 month service now when we all know a new engine will probably have to be fitted.

I wouldn't buy another Mitsubishi, 2 serious defects on a vehicle that has done less than 80k. If it wasn't for the 10 year powertrain warranty this would be very expensive motoring.

Hi Acem8,

Q1. Have you been losing coolant prior to the overheating?
                  Q2. Did the engine physically overheat, ie steam from overflow bottle ?
                  Q3. Did you get a high gauge reading and a Check Engine Light "ON"?
                  Q4. Do you have a bullbar fitted, if so what type, and winch?
                  Q5. Do you have aftermarket underbody plates fitted, is so what type?

OJ.
                  2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                  MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• acem8
                    • Jul 2011
                    • Queensland

Q1. Not that I was aware of.
                    Q2. Yes, bubbling away nicely. You could hear it from inside the cabin.
                    Q3. Yes.
                    Q4&5. No mods

I did a 380km journey and then a few days later I was 130km into the return and pulled over to take a 3 minute phone call and kept the engine running. The temperature gauge shot up and the warning light came on. It then took me 2 hours longer than normal to complete the journey, every time the temp went to max I had to stop and let it cool then top up the reservoir with water. Funnily the last hour it ran fine which worries me that they will not be able to replicate the issue at the dealer and I will be $120 the poorer.

Comment

• old Jack
                      Regular
                      • Jun 2011
                      • Adelaide, South Australia.

Q1. Not that I was aware of.
                      Q2. Yes, bubbling away nicely. You could hear it from inside the cabin.
                      Q3. Yes.
                      Q4&5. No mods

I did a 380km journey and then a few days later I was 130km into the return and pulled over to take a 3 minute phone call and kept the engine running. The temperature gauge shot up and the warning light came on. It then took me 2 hours longer than normal to complete the journey, every time the temp went to max I had to stop and let it cool then top up the reservoir with water. Funnily the last hour it ran fine which worries me that they will not be able to replicate the issue at the dealer and I will be $120 the poorer.
                      Ok, what you describe could also be a stuck thermostat.
                      You could put you mind at ease by doing and exhaust gas in coolant test, a good radiator place can do these or you can buy a DIY kid for $50.
                      Peter Maher - The Man Behind Liquid Intelligence Instant Phone Advice You can call Peter now on 1800 441 163 or 02 8188 2060 (7am to 7pm seven days a week - including public holidays - except Christmas Day) for a chat about product and application information or to simply purchase Liquid Intelligence.

If this is positive then you know you have a head problem if negative then I would change the thermostat and then monitor coolant levels and temperatures closely for the following few hundred kms.

OJ.
                      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• littleriver
                        Valued Member
                        • Jan 2013
                        • Queensland

Take it to another dealer ... if it’s a manufacturering defect under consumer law they have to fix it (even out of warranty period) ... pay the $120 and my money is on it will fail the test ... kaching new motor ...
                        2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• acem8
                          • Jul 2011
                          • Queensland

I spoke to the dealer I bought it from on Friday and they will not touch it without a $150 diagnosis fee, not great value when they are 90 minute drive away. On Saturday a quick 10 minute run to the tip with a trailer on the back and the temperature started rising while waiting to go through the weighbridge.It got back ok (up a steep hill) but then I let it idle for a few minutes and up it went again (and I got a video). Yesterday I tried to replicate it without the trailer and it was fine when idling. The rpm increased slightly as the fan kicked in but I can't be 100% that this was happening on the 2 occasions it has overheated at idle. Possible dodgy thermostat? Is that covered under the 10 year powertrain because the dealer tells me it only covers ''certain things'' ie. only the stuff they can't get away with charging for!

Comment

• Michaelj15
                            • Feb 2016
                            • Sydney

Hi Everyone,
                            Thought i would post an update.
                            After having coolant sensor changed still same problem and overheating. A few more sensors were changed, still same problem... Eventually MMA replaced the engine, saying it was faulty... gave it a month then it started overheating! Last year the challenger spent about 10 weeks in the garage. After this i spoke to MMA and told them i had a lemon, they agreed and offered to give me a new pajero sport. So overall ok outcome, shame tho as i loved my challenger. I hope no-one else has these same issues not fun, but credit to MMA on the replacement. Ill be heading over to the PS forum - thanks to all for your help along the way. Cheers,

Comment

• PeePee
                              Valued Member
                              • Oct 2012
                              • Brisbane

That is an outstanding outcome mate, hope you enjoy the new vehicle, it’s a lot better in respect to the engine gearbox matching set up I believe.
                              MY12 LS Challenger (cool silver) - 7 seater with ARB Deluxe Bar, IPF Driving Lights, Safari Snorkel, Stainless Bashplate, Ultimate Suspension Lift, Redarc electric brakes, ERPS, Dual Battery (Redarc DC/DC), Icom UHF, Rhino sports bars / platform, ARB Awning and Mickey Thompson ATZ P3's.

Comment

• Dicko1
                                Valued Member
                                • Dec 2014
                                • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Michaelj15 View Post
                                Hi Everyone,
                                Thought i would post an update.
                                After having coolant sensor changed still same problem and overheating. A few more sensors were changed, still same problem... Eventually MMA replaced the engine, saying it was faulty... gave it a month then it started overheating! Last year the challenger spent about 10 weeks in the garage. After this i spoke to MMA and told them i had a lemon, they agreed and offered to give me a new pajero sport. So overall ok outcome, shame tho as i loved my challenger. I hope no-one else has these same issues not fun, but credit to MMA on the replacement. Ill be heading over to the PS forum - thanks to all for your help along the way. Cheers,

Thats an excellent outcome. Just a pity you didnt get the Pajero and instead the sport.
                                Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X