Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Where the rubber hits the road.

Where the rubber hits the road. Discussion about drive train; (locking) diffs; wheels; hubs; suspension and, of course, tyres

Old 5 Days Ago

Thanks for all the suggestions. Based on price and availability, I think the choice is between ATZ P3, MT51 (which look pretty much the same, together with S/Tmaxx) and KO2. It's a shame KO2 have smaller OD. Duratracs are also interesting but unavailable in LT here.
Old 5 Days Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Jack View Post
Need to be careful with which DuraTrac you buy as they are available in several loading's for many sizes.

For example the LT265/70R17 is available as a ;
C rated 6 ply Light Truck construction 112 Load Index Max Cold Inflation Pressure 50 PSI
and also a
E Rated 10 Ply Light Truck construction 121 Load Index Max Cold Inflation Pressure 80 psi.

Both tares look identical except for the sidewall specifications and the 10 ply is a heavier tyre and a much stronger and robust tyre in tread, shoulder and sidewall construction.
Yep my LT265/75R16 are 123 Load Index.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pronvit View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. Based on price and availability, I think the choice is between ATZ P3, MT51 (which look pretty much the same, together with S/Tmaxx) and KO2. It's a shame KO2 have smaller OD. Duratracs are also interesting but unavailable in LT here.
Ah that sucks.
Old 5 Days Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pronvit View Post
The Kumho MT51 is almost identical in many ways to the Mickey Thompson ATZ P3 except they only seem last about 75% to 80% of the kms that the P3's so this must be a compound difference. Coopers part own both Mickey Thompson and Kumho, and have been told that all 3 tyres share the same carcass construction method but I do not know if all the material specifications are the same.

In Australia the Kuhmo is $50 to $75 a tyre cheaper than the ATZ P3 and about $70 to $90 a tyre cheaper than the ST Maxx. I closely looked at all 3 tyres in May this year when I needed new tyres, after having 2 sets of Cooper ST Maxx I was thinking of trying something different. I looked at Duratracs, ATZ P3 and MT 51, narrowed it down to the ATZ P3 and ST Maxx, but when I got a new ATZ P3 and a new ST Maxx side by side the ST Maxx won out because of better stone ejectors.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 5 Days Ago
Valued Member

On a recent outback trip of 10k km (75% offroad) my Challenger was running ST Maxx (worn 20k km) and a mate in an Amarok was on ATZ P3 (brand new).

Both vehicles travelled exactly the same route and were loaded to GVM+.

The Amarok tended to always travel that little bit faster than the Challenger 🐇🐢.

At the end of the trip the P3's were noticeably more scarred than the ST Maxx with extensive chips and cuts in the tread blocks.

Variables such as tyre compound & age, tyre pressures or the driver or the vehicle can't be nailed down, but the end result was quite pronounced.