• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GHendo
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2012
    • Northern NSW

What is this under the centre console ?

I think this may have been asked before however ... recently I had the centre console out so I could fit my new UHF underneath the console itself. While it was all apart I wondered what his switch or sensor is - right above one of the handbrake cables. Thought one of you wise gentlemen (sorry, persons) might know ?

Cheers

Geoff
    03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.
  • stevemc181
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2012
    • Thornlie/Perth

I have no idea, but my NW has it also, I moved the wiring that comes from it out of the way and stuck the UHF on the steel plate with some double sided tape.
    2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
    3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• GHendo
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2012
      • Northern NSW

Ha ha - hope it wasn't sensing something under the bracket Steve !!

My UHF would be in the same spot only I bolted it to the bottom of the actual plastic console - that sits above that spot. It just fits in nicely and is right out of view.

Geoff
      03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• stevemc181
        Valued Member
        • Sep 2012
        • Thornlie/Perth

Originally posted by GHendo View Post
        Ha ha - hope it wasn't sensing something under the bracket Steve !!

My UHF would be in the same spot only I bolted it to the bottom of the actual plastic console - that sits above that spot. It just fits in nicely and is right out of view.

Geoff
        I left whatever it is there and just removed the wiring clip and pushed the wires out of the way! Wasn't game to disturb whatever it is
        2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
        3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• Alben
          • Jul 2010
          • Victoria

Just a guess but could it be to do with stability control or something?
          2007 Pajero NS VRX - DID, Manual, Cool Silver, ARB Deluxe Bullbar, ARB Aluminium Rack, Awning, Bushskinz, Bilstein & Lovells HD, Safari Snorkel, Dual Battery, ARB Air Compressor, Lightforce XGTs, GME UHF, Cooper AT3, TPMS and Scan Gauge.

1996 Triton MJ Luxury Double Cab - 4d56T 2.5TD Manual, Snorkel, Canopy & Roof Rack, Side Step/Sliders, Bullbar, IPF Driving Lights, Mickey T MTZ's, GME UHF, Custom Roof Console, Spot Light, Pioneer Head Unit & Speakers, Piranha Dual Battery, Rear Drawers

Comment

• pasniny
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2009

It's the g and yaw sensor

Comment

• GHendo
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2012
              • Northern NSW

Originally posted by pasniny View Post
              It's the g and yaw sensor
              I didn't know it had such an animal - what does it do - I mean does the computer use the G-force and yawing info for something or other ? If it was an aircraft I could see the benefit - but ...

Geoff

Comment

• nj swb
                Resident
                • Jun 2007
                • Adelaide

I didn't know it had such an animal - what does it do - I mean does the computer use the G-force and yawing info for something or other ? If it was an aircraft I could see the benefit - but ...

Geoff
                You don't have stability control?
                NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• MSF
                  Valued Member
                  • Jul 2009
                  • Sydney, Northern Beaches

Yes, it's the YAW sensor - located smack bang in the centre of the vehicle.

Measures "Fore and Aft" and Lateral "Side to Side" movement and uses that signal with the ABS, TPS and Vehicle speed to tell the ECU when the vehicle is sliding - therefore engaging the Stability Control (ASC) or back then as it was called VSC ?? according to Glass's

Standard feature on the Exceed of 2003...
                  [ABS] Anti-lock Braking
                  [ACCD] Auto Climate Control with Dual Temp Zones
                  [VSC] Vehicle Stability Control
                  [AW16] 16 Inch Alloy Wheels
                  [CC] Cruise Control
                  [CD6] CD with 6 CD Stacker
                  [CLR] Central Locking Remote Control
                  [FL] Fog Lights - Front
                  [IM] Engine Immobiliser
                  [LSD] Limited Slip Differential
                  [LT] Leather Trim
                  [PFS] Power front seats
                  [PM] Power Mirrors
                  [PS] Power Steering
                  [PW] Power Windows
                  [RCD6] Radio CD with 6 Speakers
                  [RR] Roof Racks
                  [RS] Rear Spoiler
                  [SAB] Side Airbags
                  [ST] Side Steps

Comment

• pasniny
                    Valued Member
                    • Jul 2009

It's responsible for correcting my erroneous sideways action :-(

Comment

• GHendo
                      Valued Member
                      • Mar 2012
                      • Northern NSW

Originally posted by MSF View Post
                      Yes, it's the YAW sensor - located smack bang in the centre of the vehicle.

Measures "Fore and Aft" and Lateral "Side to Side" movement and uses that signal with the ABS, TPS and Vehicle speed to tell the ECU when the vehicle is sliding - therefore engaging the Stability Control (ASC) or back then as it was called VSC ?? according to Glass's

Standard feature on the Exceed of 2003...
                      [ABS] Anti-lock Braking
                      [ACCD] Auto Climate Control with Dual Temp Zones
                      [VSC] Vehicle Stability Control
                      [AW16] 16 Inch Alloy Wheels
                      [CC] Cruise Control
                      [CD6] CD with 6 CD Stacker
                      [CLR] Central Locking Remote Control
                      [FL] Fog Lights - Front
                      [IM] Engine Immobiliser
                      [LSD] Limited Slip Differential
                      [LT] Leather Trim
                      [PFS] Power front seats
                      [PM] Power Mirrors
                      [PS] Power Steering
                      [PW] Power Windows
                      [RCD6] Radio CD with 6 Speakers
                      [RR] Roof Racks
                      [RS] Rear Spoiler
                      [SAB] Side Airbags
                      [ST] Side Steps
                      OK, thanks - now I know what it is. I don't think however I've got a LSD as the vehicle has Traction Control and that would be defeating the purpose. Also, I'm pretty sure there are no Side Airbags on my vehicle. Think they came later.

Cheers

Geoff

Comment

• XTV
                        • Apr 2011
                        • Adelaide Hills

Yaw sensor

Strange that the arrow on the yaw sensor bracket points towards the rear of the vehicle, or have I got it wrong?

Comment

• GHendo
                          Valued Member
                          • Mar 2012
                          • Northern NSW

Originally posted by XTV View Post
                          Strange that the arrow on the yaw sensor bracket points towards the rear of the vehicle, or have I got it wrong?
                          You are correct, it is pointing to the rear of the vehicle. Maybe that's why I keep going in circles

Geoff

Comment

• Easykill1978
                            Valued Member
                            • Jan 2008
                            • Melbourne Vic

Geoff

the g-force part is so it knows when to set off the SRS bags! cars have these since around 2001 or there abouts as standard.. its why i cant wrap my head around neading crumple plates on certain bullbars, when the sensor is located here..what difference will it make in the end... oh well the law is da law.

the yaw sensor is for the stability control. it soo nice loosing power when you need it.. oh wait we got a switch for that.. still dam annoying and dangerous when you need it and life saving at times too.
                            My Car is up for Sale => Link to Market Place

Has a current Vic roadworthy (valid from the 28/04/2016)

Comment

• pajflareo
                              • Feb 2013
                              • Syd

Originally posted by Easykill1978 View Post
                              the g-force part is so it knows when to set off the SRS bags! cars have these since around 2001 or there abouts as standard.. its why i cant wrap my head around neading crumple plates on certain bullbars, when the sensor is located here..what difference will it make in the end... oh well the law is da law.

the yaw sensor is for the stability control. it soo nice loosing power when you need it.. oh wait we got a switch for that.. still dam annoying and dangerous when you need it and life saving at times too.
                              The reason is that a car decelerates much quicker without crumple zones, thus setting off the sensor prematurely or in situations where it shouldn't have set them off at all. The crumple zones in bull bars normally absorb a known percentage of the impact of a collision, providing a slower deceleration that is more akin to the deceleration the airbag sensors would normally expect according to original manufactures standards, thus allowing them able to provide precise airbag deployment at the critical time.

Beside its better than the old fashion solid steel on chassis rails bull bars that would send a driver through the windscreen in a minor collision and snap the chassis in half.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X