• Show
Clear All
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

Originally posted by Pushbike View Post
    Hi,
    I recently purchased a Butane "blow torch" from Bunnings.
    In testing it out I found that instead of ejecting a gas stream it ejected liquid. When this liquid was ignited the "blow torch" became a flame thrower. Naturally I turned it off for safety reasons.
    Thinking about my experience with butane canisters in cookers (and also paint aerosols) I realised that the canister was too cold and needed a little bit of a warm up in the sun.
    Now, do the cookers have some way of preventing the canister ejecting liquid instead of gas?
    Or should gas cooker users make sure the canister is warm before use.
    Also I found that spray paint aerosol cans get cold with use.
    Tried to get it to maintain its' flame thrower act today but not cold enough?

Sorry did not log ambient temp. Location Sydney, time Sunday a.m. 30/06/2019
    I believe the canisters have a "straw" inside them, so that when they are installed properly in a cooker, with the notch in the rim correctly aligned, the straw is at the top of the canister and out of the liquid.

I expect your initial experience had the straw in the liquid, which will be much easier to do with a full cartridge. Second time, for whatever reason, the straw was in the gas, not the liquid.
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• sharkcaver
      "2000"+ Valued Contributor
      • May 2009
      • Perth

NJ is correct. They have a discharge tube, that's why it has a notch in its rim - to align correctly in the stove. I have 3 of those 'flame throwers" and they work without issue. You do need to let the nozzle warm up for a couple of minutes to get a correct flame, but I've never had a liquid discharge.
      MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
      Working...
      X