Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-4 Pajero

Generation 4-4 Pajero NX model 2014 -

Old 5 Days Ago

Default Trailer plug and EBC

I'm confused. I've traded in the old Pajero which had a 7 pin flat plug and Anderson plug, and got a new Pajero with a 12 pin plug, which has male connectors. I got the 12 pin because I saw it was "backwards compatible" with the 7 pin connector, except I wasn't expecting the change in gender!

So, the question is - what's the latest "standard"? Is a 12 pin male plug the latest thing? I'm looking to upgrade from a 10yo camper trailer to a caravan. What's the latest "standard" for caravans? Is it a 12 pin female? Should I change over the 12 male to a 12 pin female? I notice Narva sell both.

I rang an auto-electrician in Caboolture (just north of Brisbane) and asked him about fitting a Towpro brake controller and Anderson plug. He told me that the new Pajeros had voltage control that meant that hooking up to the Anderson plug wouldn't work without putting in a DC controller for about another $900. But he also said that a lot of the new caravans came with such a unit. And when I mentioned that I'd had the MM brake harness fitted (as described in other threads here), he said he'd never heard of it.

So, the next question is - is the auto-electrician right, or should I find another auto-electrician? (That he hadn't heard of the MM brake harness unnerved me a bit) Do I need a DC controller for an Anderson plug or are Anderson plugs becoming obsolete? I've seen posts here saying that the 12 pin connectors shouldn't be used when drawing high current (like for a fridge).

Any help gratefully accepted.

Grant

Lots of questions

Last edited by grobinson; 5 Days Ago at 06:06 PM.
Old 4 Days Ago
Valued Member

I've been using the 12 pin plug for many months of powering the fridge which draws 17 amps continuously - the only problem is the lettuce freezes occasionally when the fridge works too well. The 5 large contacts are rated at 35 amps.

If the connector fails, it's usually due to -
- poor installation, screws not done up tightly.
- inadequate wire size causing overheating
- not using ferrules to adapt large wire size to the terminal holes
- excessive movement when removing plug, deforming the contacts
- let mud, salt stay on the contacts causing poor contact
Old 4 Days Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grobinson View Post
. . . . He told me that the new Pajeros had voltage control that meant that hooking up to the Anderson plug wouldn't work without putting in a DC controller for about another $900. . . . .
And who's going to to profit from selling a DC-DC Charger.

I've been charging batteries in my NX by just direct connecting them with no problems. The voltage never drops below 13.9 volts when above idle - well above the minimum Float Voltage for any Lead Acid Battery. (Yes, AGM and GEL are Lead Acid Batteries
)
Old 4 Days Ago
Valued Member

Every vehicle I have owned or used for work has had the female plug mounted on the car. Trailer has always had male fitting plug.
Old 4 Days Ago

Bit strangish...Every tow rig I've ever come across has the female plug on the car, male on whatever trailer...my newish NX is the same....

As for the charging thingys...I've just finished setting up the new car to tow the van...100ah dual battery in the hole Mitsi left...VSR relay between them...ando plug in the back and a dedicated Narva "Englel" socket for my Waeco...on the tow bar is an ando for the fridge in the van when travelling...it gets its power from the main battery via a 100amp switch relay that only cuts in when the engine is running...13.9+ at all power needed points....and so far all testing has been a resounding success.....this idea everyones kicking about that you need to spend $XXXX on the fanciest power management do hickies is IMHO, a salesmans pitch.....my show has cost me around $350..including a new battery and all new gear/wire etc etc....and a few hours of my time....
P.S. I use Ando plugs for most of my "big" power drawing things,and for the secure/only one way connection you get with them..do a bit of rough roading and they don't vibrate apart...
Old 4 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike DiD View Post
And who's going to to profit from selling a DC-DC Charger.

I've been charging batteries in my NX by just direct connecting them with no problems. The voltage never drops below 13.9 volts when above idle - well above the minimum Float Voltage for any Lead Acid Battery. (Yes, AGM and GEL are Lead Acid Batteries
)
The purchaser of said chargers won't profit, thats for sure....still haven't seen the need for them till you get into Lithium batteries...and if you can afford them.....
Old 3 Days Ago

Thanks for all the info guys. I thought that the DC-DC charger sounded dodgy, especially when he hadn't heard of the MM brake harness either. I figure the easiest way forward is to get a combo 50A Anderson and 7 pin flat (female) plug put on by whoever I get to install the Towpro. It'll cost me a just few more bucks but it's probably easier than chasing the dealer to find out why they put on the plug they did.