• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jarrod5879
    • Oct 2019
    • Melbourne

New owner issues - sunroof and tacho

Hi all,

I just signed up after a few days of lurking and gathering info. I recently purchased a 92 NH as a project that Im hoping to get club registered down the track, but I was hoping to clarify a couple of things I have read on here. I have a Gregory's manual on the way but Im hoping to get onto a few things while I have a few days off work.

So far I have run into the common issues of a dead tacho and fuel gauge, rust in the sunroof, but unfortunately I have also found a small amount in the A pillars. I think this is due to the windscreen seal starting to perish rather than anything to do with the sunroof as I have checked the drain hoses and they seem ok. Hopefully I can rectify it with some cutting from a clean donor.

I got the tacho working again after connecting it to the noise filter thanks to this thread: https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=51858

but I'd like to know where the other end of the brown connector was supposed to go? Mine has been cut/broken and was just hanging there. There is also a broken blue wire just below these that looks to be wrapped up with the ignition leads and Im not sure where it was supposed to go. Unfortunately Im having trouble uploading a picture.

With the sunroof, I have read a few of Alchemysa's threads on the topic, but I just wanted to clarify that after undoing the 8 bolts under the sunroof is it really just supposed to pop out?? Mine must be stuck pretty hard, I've been belting it on all corners and barely budged it.

Functionally I dont care if the sunroof opens or not, but I would like to get in there and get on top of the rust if nothing else. Also, it seems to be sitting far too low at the back end so I want to look into that as well. The electric motor seems like it still wants to work, however it doesnt budge in either direction. I have even tried manually winding it with no luck.

I may have bitten off more than I can chew here, especially with rust repairs but I have no time frame to complete this and I see it as a bit of a challenge and learning experience.

Hopefully I can contribute my own advice down the track but for now I think I'll mainly be lurking!
  • jarrod5879
    • Oct 2019
    • Melbourne

Just a quick update to say that I finally got the sunroof out.

Turns out the rust had caused the rubber seal to expand, making it harder than it should have been to get out. Tidied up the rust as best I could and applied some rust killer. Didnt have any luck freeing up the tracks though, the motor works in both directions I just couldnt get it to go.

Sunroof went back in and I siliconed the hell out of it so hopefully thats the last of the water coming in.

Comment

• Ashman
      • Dec 2016
      • Sydney

Same happened to my sunroof, I have to manually open it now with a hex drive and ratchet. The first time I used the cordless drill and it burnt the motor out.

Comment

• Kaldek
        • May 2017
        • Melbourne

I have a 92 NH with a sunroof. *Some* rust but so far I've been able to silicone it each time it starts to leak through the rubber.

I do love the old girl though. Super easy to work on.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
        Working...
        X