• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pwoffey
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2013
    • Adelaide

harrop e locker for front diff

I'm considering fitting a front locker to my NW. One of the things I'm interested in knowing is what the net increase in weight of the e-locker is over the OEM diff it replaces. Harrop tell me the e-locker itself weighs 12kg but since they don't know the weight of the OEM components it replaces, they can't tell me the net increase. Does anybody have any info on this? TIA.
    BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front and 88 rear shocks with KIngs 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Kaon cargo barrier, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears
  • Keithyv
    Valued Member
    • May 2018
    • Perth

Okay, I'll chime in.

At what point would the weight change your mind?
    To me the very maximum weight gain will be 12kg (assuming the stock bits weigh nothing!) so really it going to be in the order of a handful of KGs

To me you either want the front diff lock or you don't.

You already have a heap of stuff on your car by the look so is a handful of kilos going to be a deal breaker?
    2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
    MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• Pwoffey
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2013
      • Adelaide

Thanks; no deal breaker, just one of a number of things I was looking at. What is exercising my mind at the moment is that one 4WD shop is quoting $1000 to install (on top of the price of the locker itself). It's only my first quote, and perhaps I can do better. After the Xmas break I'll get a quote from Harrop itself (who do installs) just to see how local shops compare. I suppose $1000 equates to maybe 5 to 7 hours labour. Would that be reasonable? I'm not after a cheap job, but one gets a little initial "sticker shock" at a grand
      BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front and 88 rear shocks with KIngs 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Kaon cargo barrier, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears

Comment

• aussieintas
        Valued Member
        • Feb 2013
        • Sorell, Tasmania

I doubt there would be much difference in weight between the oem and Harrop considering the components are similar in size, construction materials etc etc.

Found some info online telling me 100 series Landcruiser diff centre weighs around 13kgs.

Best guess there would be only a couple of kgs difference eitherway.
        2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
        88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
        92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
        92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
        99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
        95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
        08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
        Working...