• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thefoz
    • Jul 2014
    • Melbourne

Warning bell in low range

Evening to all,

Just got back from 4 days in the high country and the Pajero didn't miss a beat. Had to fit a new set of D697s as the old set was looking pretty ordinary and we were told that it was still quite wet in places after the heavy rains.

My question is was when I had the car in low range and was climbing some pretty long and steep hills, a warning bell would start chiming and then go to a solid sound for a while. It only did this on two really steep and long climbs. There were no warning lights or issues with the car at all. I couldn't find out what they were for. Does anyone have any ideas?

Also is it possible to turn off the traction control as I couldn't find out how to do it and I didn't see any information in the owners manual.

Cheers

Paul

2010 NT Pajero diesel.
  • BruceandBobbi
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2016
    • Greater Sydney

Comment

• nj swb
      Resident
      • Jun 2007
      • Adelaide

Originally posted by Thefoz View Post
      Does anyone have any ideas?

Also is it possible to turn off the traction control as I couldn't find out how to do it and I didn't see any information in the owners manual.
      You seem to suspect the answer.

The "warning bell" is your traction control system complaining about being over-worked. The recurring beep is the initial warning, the continuous tone means it has ceased to operate. At that point, you have effectively turned off your traction control.

Turning it off will kill the sound, but won't necessarily improve climbing ability.

The two best ways to reduce the demand on your traction control are

1. Better tyres (and the correct pressure) and/or
      2. Rear diff lock.

Even with decent off-road tyres at low pressures some High Country climbs can give the traction control quite a work out.

Locking the rear diff significantly reduces the amount of slip detected, so the traction control operates much less - unless you have the factory rear diff lock, in which case locking the diff kills the traction control. So you should read:

NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Keithyv
        Valued Member
        • May 2018
        • Perth

Unless pages have fallen out of the manual it'll be in there.

This image in the 3rd post down is extremely useful .

The way I read it is unless you have a factory diff lock you CANNOT deactivate the brake control part of traction control in a stock vehicle.

Engaging a factory rear diff lock turns off all aspects of traction control no matter what.
        (Factory diff lock can ONLY be engaged when a locked centre mode is selected, so either 4HLC or 4LLC)
        2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
        MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• Thefoz
          • Jul 2014
          • Melbourne

Thanks guys,

I had just installed brand new D697s and was running them at 24psi. My Paj doesn't have a diff lock and was working pretty hard up some of those hills. I must say that it did go everywhere a twin locked MUX and also a kitted up GU Patrol went so I was pleased that it did the trip with no problems. It only has a 2 inch Dobinsons lift.

Also up one of the climbs out of the Wonnagatta valley there was a Hilux stuck halfway up the hill with each front wheel pointing in a different direction. In the position where it was it would have been nearly an impossible recovery or maybe a repair job on the side of the hill.

Cheers

Paul

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2013
            • Sydney

Originally posted by Thefoz View Post
            Thanks guys,

I had just installed brand new D697s and was running them at 24psi. My Paj doesn't have a diff lock and was working pretty hard up some of those hills. I must say that it did go everywhere a twin locked MUX and also a kitted up GU Patrol went so I was pleased that it did the trip with no problems. It only has a 2 inch Dobinsons lift.

Also up one of the climbs out of the Wonnagatta valley there was an UNBREAKABLE Hilux stuck halfway up the hill with each front wheel pointing in a different direction. In the position where it was it would have been nearly an impossible recovery or maybe a repair job on the side of the hill.

Cheers

Paul

I took the liberty to make a minor but important correction to your post.
            NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• Thefoz
              • Jul 2014
              • Melbourne

I like your editing but this Hilux was well and truly broken. I just hope the owner was able to repair or recover it from where it was as we don't want to see a fellow 4Wdriver in such a predicament.
              It can happen to any of us but I do admit to feeling a little bit smug as the so called underated Pajero crawled past the broken Hilux up the hill.

Cheers

Paul

Comment

• nj swb
                Resident
                • Jun 2007
                • Adelaide

Perhaps it wasn't broken, only bent?
                NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Axis
                  Valued Member
                  • Jul 2011
                  • Highett Vic

Hi Paul,

I have an NS pajero with no diff lock so rely on the TC. I was recently in Wonnangatta as well and we took Hernes Spur out of the valley. I find that on long steep climbs my TC does this as well - it id a couple of times up Hernes. I had my tyres on 18-20 PSI for this trip.

Most of my 4WDing is with an MN Triton and I find the TC on the Pajero far more sensitive and kicks in far earlier than the Triton. If you have time to look at the dash you'll see the wheel lights on the display flashing as TC kicks in, then when the constant beep starts no more flashing as TC has given up!

Like NJ said, lower pressures help a lot but some of the tracks are just steep and loose and you can't avoid it.

Where else did you get to?

Cheers,
                  James
                  07 NS DiD GLX Manual, Alloy Bullbar, 2" lift, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, Kumho MT51, Oricom UHF088, Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard, Boo's Sump and Tansmission Bash Plates

Comment

• nj swb
                    Resident
                    • Jun 2007
                    • Adelaide

OK, Herne Spur. That is steep.

I recall a story, perhaps others can confirm or refute?

For anybody wanting to leave that end of the Wonnangatta Valley, and climb to Cynthia Range Track, there are two options - Wombat, and Herne. Wombat is steep, and (apparently) rated "Double Black" - not to be taken lightly. On whatever maps show these ratings, I've heard that "Herne" is unrated - as in, "beyond Double Black". So, anecdotally, some 4wders make their way into the Valley (presumably via Zeka Spur) and decide that the "Double Black" Wombat Range Track is too ambitious - so they elect to exit via the unrated Herne Spur instead.

I'm not surprised that an open-diffed Pajero maxxed out the traction control on Herne Spur, regardless of tyres.

Penny Wells, of "Top of Down Under", towed a camper trailer up Herne Spur. Her LandCruiser was working hard.

If anybody can find the footage online, please post.

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Pwoffey
                      Valued Member
                      • Jul 2013
                      • Adelaide

I think it is TODU Series 5 Episode 5. The video is available at http://series5.topofdownunder.com.au/ but it'll cost you $2 or $3 to rent or buy via Vimeo.
                      I remember watching it on TV earlier this year. No way I would tow my Ulti up that, but Penny barely had a blonde hair out of place.
                      BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front, Dobinson IMLrear shocks with Kings 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears

Comment

• TC.Barky
                        Valued Member
                        • Oct 2011
                        • Melbourne

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                        OK, Herne Spur. That is steep.

I recall a story, perhaps others can confirm or refute?

For anybody wanting to leave that end of the Wonnangatta Valley, and climb to Cynthia Range Track, there are two options - Wombat, and Herne. Wombat is steep, and (apparently) rated "Double Black" - not to be taken lightly. On whatever maps show these ratings, I've heard that "Herne" is unrated - as in, "beyond Double Black". So, anecdotally, some 4wders make their way into the Valley (presumably via Zeka Spur) and decide that the "Double Black" Wombat Range Track is too ambitious - so they elect to exit via the unrated Herne Spur instead.

I'm not surprised that an open-diffed Pajero maxxed out the traction control on Herne Spur, regardless of tyres.

Penny Wells, of "Top of Down Under", towed a camper trailer up Herne Spur. Her LandCruiser was working hard.

If anybody can find the footage online, please post.
                        Haven't been down there for a while but we used to go a few times a season. We would take wombat in the wet, herne in the dry. Wouldn't be too stressed towing up Herne from a technical standpoint as it's steep but straightfoward but I'd be a bit nervous about engine/trans temps. Would not be very comfortable to tow down it though, could see that going pear shaped.

In regards to the OP, I've never had the TC beep even when working it hard but I try the softly slowly approach first wherever possible and haven't done much clay uphills in this car. Have seen it in other pajeros though. Classic clip from HSV Rangie shows it dropping out and stopping forward progress (my old blue paj up front). About 3:15 mark.

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload
                        MY14 NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto Build Thread
                        Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.

Comment

• Thefoz
                          • Jul 2014
                          • Melbourne

We started at Mansfield then spent the first night at Lovicks hut. Only 2 degrees and rain all night so the tracks the next day were a lot more challenging. Came into Wonangatta valley using the Zeka spur and spent the night camped in there.

It was much drier and warmer down there and we headed for Talbotville campground and we did use Wombat track to climb out of the valley. That was when the old TC bell started to chime as it was a pretty steep climb out of there. we made it over to Talbotville and camped there and had a warm dry night.

Took off next morning to head towards Dargo and took the Crooked River track for one last bit of fun. I am not sure of the exact number but we crossed the Crooked River around 20 times in about 4 or so kms. Some of the entry and exits were pretty chewed out but we all managed to get through them That was the second time that the TC bell started its song. There are a couple of pretty steep climbs along there but we all made it into Dargo for a pretty good counter meal and then home.

If you are looking for a quick long weekend trip to the high country then I reckon that this is the perfect route as it offers some challenging tracks, great views and some pretty places to camp.

Cheers

Paul

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X