• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MuddyTruck
    • Jun 2018
    • GB

Manual conversion

1994 Pajero 2.8

What parts exactly are needed for a manual box conversion?

Obviously manual gearbox and transfer box
    Clutch pedal assembly and clutch master

Anything else?

Can fabricate so modified mounts etc not an issue

My auto box is becoming suspect, oil and filter all done but it's still not 100%

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk
  • aussieintas
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2013
    • Sorell, Tasmania

There are a few threads on this bud, do a search via google something like.......pajero manual conversion. 1 thread i found below.

2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
    88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
    92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
    92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
    99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
    95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
    08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• stumagoo
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2014
      • Perth WA S.O.R

I cant speak for that year myself, or the diesel - the Petrol I have done and it was plug and play..... However the driveshafts are different between manual and auto due to the length of the transmissions. also I found I had to replace the loom for the trans that plugs in under the stereo and goes through under the console. The trans tunnel needs the hole for 4x4 covered and a new hole cut to allow for the shifter and 4x4 selector. The clutch pedal is its own assembly so you only need that. The location hole for the clutch is there as a pressed dent. Finally for the NL the ecu is the same and I just unplugged the trans ecu (sits where the clutch pedal would be mounted) and left the plug hanging there.

I cant think of much else but there are bound to be some other issues I have forgotten
      1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
      *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
      1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• MuddyTruck
        • Jun 2018
        • GB

Are they a cable or hydraulic clutch?

Also will a L200 gearbox fit? One with either the 4D56 or 4M40 engine?

Comment

• stumagoo
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2014
          • Perth WA S.O.R

Hydraulic clutch is normal
          1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
          1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• MuddyTruck
            • Jun 2018
            • GB

Thought they were, but couldn't remember....

Will an L200 gearbox from a 4m40 2.8 model fit a shogun/Pajero?

Comment

• stumagoo
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2014
              • Perth WA S.O.R

I imagine it would bolt up however I am not sure about the shifter holes - and drive shaft's

Comment

• erad
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2015
                • Cooma NSW

Remember that of you are looking to bolt up a bell housing to the engine, there are differences between the diesel and petrol engines. The starter motors are on different sides of the engine (on later models anyway). I imagine that the engine blocks will be mch the same as for bolt hole centres etc, but check before buying a transmission.

Comment

• MuddyTruck
                  • Jun 2018
                  • GB

Yes I've done engine swap etc many times so not to worried about bits like that

I know the Delica and the L200 both had the 4m40 2.8 engine so hopefully a manual gearbox from either of those if I can't find a Pajero box will do the job nicely.....

I know I will need manual box, plus clutch pedal assembly and master/slave cylinder and pipework
                  Plus will need a manual flywheel and clutch kit

Not to fussed if the props are slightly different lengths, can always shorten/extend them (have done it before)

Only thing that's a little different is I've always dealt with manuals/sequential boxes

Anything else I've forgotten that I ended to an auto to manual swap?

Comment

• erad
                    Valued Member
                    • Mar 2015
                    • Cooma NSW

My recollection is that the transfer case selector is on the opposite side of the transmission. Not really a problem - you may have to make some new holes. Other potential problem is the size of the gearbox. The NL had the V5M31 transmission (which I was told came form a Mitsubishi Canter truck) and this is much larger than the earlier manual transmissions. I was told by a Mits man that the body had been lifted to take the larger transmission - I cannot vouch 100% for the accuracy of that statement. How th manualsy compare with automatic transmissions, I cannot comment, but I think the auto is probably a bit smaller than the V5M31 manual transmission.

The switches for the transfer case are on the top of the case, so wiring may have to be done before installation. All doable, but it will be a squeeze.

Comment

• stumagoo
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2014
                      • Perth WA S.O.R

Originally posted by erad View Post
                      My recollection is that the transfer case selector is on the opposite side of the transmission. Not really a problem - you may have to make some new holes. Other potential problem is the size of the gearbox. The NL had the V5M31 transmission (which I was told came form a Mitsubishi Canter truck) and this is much larger than the earlier manual transmissions. I was told by a Mits man that the body had been lifted to take the larger transmission - I cannot vouch 100% for the accuracy of that statement. How th manualsy compare with automatic transmissions, I cannot comment, but I think the auto is probably a bit smaller than the V5M31 manual transmission.

The switches for the transfer case are on the top of the case, so wiring may have to be done before installation. All doable, but it will be a squeeze.

Problem is the rest of the world got all sorts of engine's in their NL's - I even saw a US ID plate the other day that had a NL with a 3.0 engine and a 3.5 auto trans and 9.5" gearing ratios.....

Comment

• DWC
                        • Jul 2007
                        • Newcastle

Originally posted by stumagoo View Post
                        Problem is the rest of the world got all sorts of engine's in their NL's - I even saw a US ID plate the other day that had a NL with a 3.0 engine and a 3.5 auto trans and 9.5" gearing ratios.....
                        And even after the import rules were relaxed we can still only import the J-Top shorty i believe.
                        '96 NJ ̶D̶O̶H̶C̶, 4M40/AUTO conversion, 2" TJM lift, Alloy bar, Dual Batteries,
                        Icom UHF, 31" Mickey Thompson MTZ's, Cibie Super Oscars, Aldi 9500lb winch.
                        Conversion thread:
                        http:// https://www2.pajeroclub.com....ad.php?t=50484

Comment

• MuddyTruck
                          • Jun 2018
                          • GB

Scratch any plans! Just checked truck over (only did it a few days ago) to find absolutely no coolant in it (haven't used it since I last checked it)

Refilled coolant and found loads of lovely sludge rose up and the expansion bottle is half full as well

Engine running it's bubbling out of rad cap badly

So reckon head gasket has gone and chances are cracked head.....

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X