• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ian H
    Valued Member
    • May 2015
    • Melbourne

LRA aux tank filling issue

Does anyone have a solution to the problem of the dual head fuel pipe issue where some pumps just won't fill the main tank because the hose shuts off as soon as you try to pump fuel? I'm finding quite a few pumps doing this lately and in the outback, you don't have a lot of choices to try a different one. They seem to be ok filling the aux tank so I can do that and them pump fuel across but it's not the ideal scenario.
    2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.
  • dean
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007

With some pumps you need to just trickle and not insert the spout...but you've tried that i'm guessing.
    Dean
    NM V6 since August 2000. Cargo Barrier, Satphone, Decent Suspension, Decent Tyres Eg. Any 10 PLY E Load Brand Not Important. Aux Tank, Rola Sports Racks/Basket, Decent Canvas Bag, Quality Esky. A Good Setup For Outback Touring/Desert Crossings.

Comment

• sharkcaver
      "2000"+ Valued Contributor
      • May 2009
      • Perth

You could try playing with the position of the breather, getting it up a little higher. I did this on the NP and it helped a little. Looks like a little filter and it sits above the splash shield.

With both a Long Ranger and now an LRA tank, It seems to me they all do it. The aux fills nicely, but the main takes some ginning around at times. I think it comes down to the specific bowser as to how much trouble it will give you. I just filled the main on the NX - no cut out at all until it was full. That's a rarity.

I always fill main then aux. It doesn't seem to make any difference if reversed.
      MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Ian H
        Valued Member
        • May 2015
        • Melbourne

Yes, I've tried giggling it around but the breather suggestion may help. thanks guys.
        2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• insect_eater
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2015
          • Canberra

On rare occasions I've had many nozzle shutoffs even when empty. The last couple of times this has happened, I've just filled the auxillary, then just filled into the upper chamber - keeping a close eye on it. Surprisingly, it has worked quite well, the main tank filling with ease. My fittings are all tight, so I don't have leaks even if filled to this chamber, which fills the auxillary to the the top of the filler. I find it all settles down after a short drive - I'm sure there are voids that are filled with movement and the levels drop to tank level, with the fill pipes draining into the tanks. My usual fill is with the left side down, to maximise fill volumes.
          NX GLX manual, T13, XD9000, Koni RAID, Ultragauge, ISI carrier, pioneer platform, Lithium auxillary

Comment

• sharkcaver
            "2000"+ Valued Contributor
            • May 2009
            • Perth

When I'm touring, I always fill both tanks so that the dual port filler has fuel in it. That maximises my fuel capacity and I've never had a leak from doing this either, nor should I.
            MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Nab
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2012
              • Perth

As above it seems more dependant on the bowser you use. I found 3 ways that more often than not worked:
              - push the nozzle in all the way, then pull it out gently until it is resting on the small moulded lump on the bottom edge of the bowser nozzle.
              - push the nozzle in all the way, then turn it about 1/8-1/4 turn clockwise.
              - a combination of the above.
              SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
              NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• HomerJ
                • Jul 2009
                • Warrnambool, Vic

Mine always fills easier if it's facing down hill, even a little bit helps.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X