• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BruceandBobbi
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2016
    • Greater Sydney

New Ford Ranger coming. What a beast.

All the latest financial news headlines across banking, taxation, budgets, personal finance, retail and more.
  • aaron.miller
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2011
    • Epping, NSW

with a 2 litre motor, what were they thinking?
    2012 PB 30th Anniversary Challenger, Arb 2.5m awning, Maxtrax, ORS Platform and MSA dropdown slide, Boo's Bashplates, MSA seat organisers with trays, GME 3120s uhf, GME 4705 UHF, Lovells Springs, Arb Deluxe Bullbar, Mitsubishi tow bar, 265/65 17 D697's At's, triple ram mount with ipad and lots more to come.

Comment

• Dicko1
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2014
      • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by aaron.miller View Post
      Just another wizz bang that will appeal to the "look at me weekend warriors". It will be close to$90- $100,000 with insurance, rego and a few mods. Ford is already talking about it being over $80k. Plenty of suckers still willing to fork out money. Forget towing a decent sized van...maybe a forward fold at 2000+ will be its limit. 2.0 litre...getting ridiculous.
      Last edited by Dicko1; 14-02-18, 02:27 PM.
      Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Just Cruzin
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2014
        • Pakenham

The 2.0 liter motor will be something to do with homolagation for the new ute racing series to replace the V8's.
        99 NL Exceed with air in tyres

Comment

• NTBenny
          • May 2017
          • Newcastle

From what I've heard most manufacturers are designing smaller capacity engines with better components running higher boost and higher compression. All while achieving the market average power and torque figures. This enables better fuel economy and meeting pollution regs easier. I'm thinking the 10 speed gearbox will keep the Ranger very much in the sweet spot of 500nm and might surprise a few people on how well it goes and tows. A V6 TD would have been so much better though in my opinion. 500nm is so last week. haha

Benny.
          2011 NT Pajero Platinum, DCS 80AH Extreme Battery, Stedi 8.5" LED driving lights, Bushskinz side steps & bash plates, Provent 200, Auto-mate TC lockup, Derale fan forced trans cooler, custom 3inch exhaust, JT intercooler, Bilstein + Lovells 2 inch lift, Airbag Man bags, DBA slotted rotors, braided brake lines, diff+gearbox+transfer breathers, Redarc boost & EGT gauge, Tuned by TME 141rwkw 598nm.

Comment

• craka
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2009
            • Newcastle (Newie)

I'll add myself to the camp that looks down at small capacity diesel engines, in moderate heavy typically commercial vehicles. Every one of them I have driven has been peaky in torque, doesn't have a smooth torque power delivery and therefore are b&(tches to drive. Add to the fact they are revving higher than what a larger diesel counterpart would to the same amount of work and therefor on that alone will wear far quicker, than what typically you would expect with a diesel engine.

Don't get me wrong in a hatchback or sedan etc, small capacity diesel dependent on your driving requirements are splendid and usually well matched.
            NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

• Peterng
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2013
              • Northern Rivers NSW

It just makes me shake my head..$80k for a 4wd Ute that has a bit of “ go gear” cabin bling, suspension and a few body stickers.
              A 10 speed auto..I hope it’s better than the unit they got in them now and run a lot cooler.
              Then again..more electronic gremlins...
              There will blokes itching to get their hand on them..a couple of percent of these Raptor Thingies may see a gravel road in its lifetime.
              One or two may brave a Decent 4wd journey..
              Still if I had 80k..a last model run out of a Falcon V8 ute or a HSV Maloo would be a better deal..at least.
              I saw 1968 model GT Cortina with a Cosworth twin cam for 70k..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Just Cruzin
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2014
                • Pakenham

It's not just a Ranger with stickers, probably more compared to the Gen 2 Evo, with a bit less bang.
                With the new ute racing series starting they probably have to sell so many to qualify for entry to the class, and the class probably has engine restrictions hence the 2.0 litre. For an even race class they can't let the manufacturers go hell for leather or we'll have the fuel crisis situation all over again like the seventies.
                99 NL Exceed with air in tyres

Comment

• Faereag
                  Valued Member
                  • Nov 2009
                  • Aberfoyle Park, SA

If we are looking at that sort of money and "image" then the v6 X Class Mercedes with 190Kw, 550Nm and a GCM of 6200 Kg would have to be a consideration.
                  Regards

Rory

2010 NT DID Auto Platinum. ARB Bar; 12000lb winch; Light-force 240 spotlights; Bushskinz plates; dual battery with upgraded wiring; Diff breathers; ECU re-tune; 3" exhaust Toyo AT11's; Ultra-gauge and OBD11 dongle; Garmin 52LM; Icom UHF; Craig Davies transmission cooler with fan; raised EHD Lovells coils; Mann & Hummel Catch Can; Bilstein B6's; Firestone airbags; Tekonsha P3 controller; towball capacity 300KG; GVM 3110KG. Sunland Patriot SE van with a few other mods.

Comment

• BeanCounter
                    • Mar 2012
                    • Tasmania

Originally posted by aaron.miller View Post
                    Great Wall had a 2lt diesel which all car reviewers saying was too small. Bet they will report the 2lt in the Ford will be "suited perfectly".

Small motor, high compression, high boost and twin turbo - recipe for low mileage motor.

Comment

• Dicko1
                      Valued Member
                      • Dec 2014
                      • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by BeanCounter View Post
                      Great Wall had a 2lt diesel which all car reviewers saying was too small. Bet they will report the 2lt in the Ford will be "suited perfectly".

Small motor, high compression, high boost and twin turbo - recipe for low mileage motor.
                      +1
                      Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• MTN-KAT
                        Valued Member
                        • Jun 2009
                        • Gold Coast

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                        +1
                        +2 too! This is the world wide future for diesel engined cars/suv's in order to save the planet. They suddenly discovered that diesel engines emit far more nitrous oxides than do modern petrol engines. Like they did not know before. That's why Chinese Haval pulled the diesel engine from their SUV at the last moment and went petrol. Big investment for a vehicle manufacturer not to have a certain future.
                        99 NL Escape 3.5L V6 LWB Wagon, "Aisin Auto", MM Alum Protector Bar, MM factory 'steel' underbody protector plates, Engine oil cooler, Transmission oil cooler, Side rails, Flares, MM Alloy wheels, HANKOOK Dynapro ATM LT tyres, Aftermarket Alarm, MM A.I.S. HPR15 Penrite engine oil. Penrite LS140 diff oil with 250ml LIMSLIP additive 7098.

Comment

• nj swb
                          Resident
                          • Jun 2007
                          • Adelaide

Why do I read this thread and think Amarok?
                          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• aaron.miller
                            Valued Member
                            • Aug 2011
                            • Epping, NSW

So apparently the 2 litre is for homogulation for the ute racers, but i cant think of any other utes that come in a 2l engine?
                            2012 PB 30th Anniversary Challenger, Arb 2.5m awning, Maxtrax, ORS Platform and MSA dropdown slide, Boo's Bashplates, MSA seat organisers with trays, GME 3120s uhf, GME 4705 UHF, Lovells Springs, Arb Deluxe Bullbar, Mitsubishi tow bar, 265/65 17 D697's At's, triple ram mount with ipad and lots more to come.

Comment

• spiderpig
                              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                              Why do I read this thread and think Amarok?
                              Atleast VW eventually listened to the public and put a very nice V6 turbo diesel in the Amarok. Would have thought Ford would have learnt from VW's mistake, obviously not...

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X