• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • petey0505
    • Jul 2017
    • Tasmania

MK triton auto gearbox issue

Hi there. Great site. Thanks for letting me join.

I have a transmission issue with my triton. 2005 MK V6 auto 4wd. Bought the car on the weekend with the known trans issue.

It has the gear shift with 1,2,3 and D. No overdrive button. When placing the shifter into D, the car will not move. It feels like it is in neutral. If placing it in 3 it will drive thru 1st, 2nd and third as normal. Park, reverse etc all work fine. When placing the shifter into D, the N light and D light on the dash are both illuminated. All other lights reflect the appropriate gear.

It is like it thinks it is still in neutral even though the shifter is in drive. No crunching noises and only a slight faint whine can be heard when putting it in drive but no movement.

Seller advised his mechanic changed the trans fluid twice with no change. I doubt this as fluid is quite brown but is the right level. Certainly no flush done

First thoughts would be to do trans flush and filter change. I think it is some sort of issue with a gear selector or solenoid given that both N and D lights come on at the same time.

Any thoughts, help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks

Pete
  • kiwi1973
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2012
    • New Zealand

I tend to think a gear selector issue rather than a serious fault in the transmission. Perhaps to do with the shifter itself, or where the cable actuator on the side of the transmission actually selects the gear.
    2007 Shogun 3.2DID. UK Diamond Spec. Harrop Eaton front E-locker. MCC Bullbar. Runva 11XP winch. 17" Dotz rims with 32" STT Pro. Koni HT RAID 90 series with +2" EHD Lovells springs. ASFIR protection plates for engine & transmission. DIY steel rocksliders. LRA 81 litre auxiliary fuel tank. Waeco CFX-40. Home made drawers & fridge slide. Dual power - 120a/h AGM with CTEK DC-DC. LED lighting. 43 litre water tank with two electric pumps - one for tap (via filter) & one via heat exchanger.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
    Working...
    X