• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pickle
    Administrator
    • Jun 2007
    • All over Oz

Navigation App

Looking for a half decent navigation app for Android. Anyone had any success with a good one and without adds. Free preferably but if it is a goodin will tip in some dollars.
    Dave
    NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
    Member 1228 Pajero Club
  • stevemc181
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2012
    • Thornlie/Perth

If you're talking off-road navigation, I use Ozi for android, it doesn't come with maps though and costs about $25 if I remember correctly. I use it in conjunction with the full Ozi Explorer on PC. Works well, but is a bit of a learning curve if you aren't familiar with OziExplorer.
    2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
    3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• Pickle
      Administrator
      • Jun 2007
      • All over Oz

Originally posted by stevemc181 View Post
      If you're talking off-road navigation, I use Ozi for android, it doesn't come with maps though and costs about $25 if I remember correctly. I use it in conjunction with the full Ozi Explorer on PC. Works well, but is a bit of a learning curve if you aren't familiar with OziExplorer.
      Got that More street navigation style with voice. After being married for 35 years you get used to being told where to go .
      NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
      Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• stevemc181
        Valued Member
        • Sep 2012
        • Thornlie/Perth

I've been happy with either Sygic or Metro View on IOS, can't imagine they'd be much different on android. Sygic has a free trial and not sure of final cost, Metro-View is about $20
        2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
        3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• Pickle
          Administrator
          • Jun 2007
          • All over Oz

Cheers, will try the Metro Veiw.
          Dave
          NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
          Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• SMB
            • Jun 2015
            • Moranbah

I use here maps. They're very reliable and you can download the whole country for less than 1Gb to use offline so no mobile data.

Comment

• my.paj
              • Dec 2010
              • Tullamarine

I just use google, just say "ok Google" then say the address hit the map hit drive and your off.
              Old, NP Exceed 3.5 petrol, ARB Bull bar, Warn winch, Bush Skinz Bash plates ,2inch lift, Safari Snorkel. ***Now Sold***
              New, RG Colorado Dual Cab Tray

Comment

• dhula
                Valued Member
                • Sep 2012
                • South of Perth

I've only tried a few (Tom Tom, Navigaon [now defunct I believe], Here and Sygic)
                Tom Tom is like the stand alone units and pretty good but not free.
                Sygic was really good. On Android you got a week trial then had to buy it. I can't remember how much but I was prepared to pay for it (and I'm a cheepskate) as I thought it very good and easy to use
                Navigon I rated as really good and it was free on Samsung but now unsupported by the looks of things.
                Here maps suits our needs, is free and pretty much spot on. It's a bit fiddly to get the hang of initally if you've used something else but once you do is easy to use.

In my opinion (and cause I'm cheep) Here maps is the go.
                2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
                2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

• GOSSAMER
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2008
                  • doncaster east vic

Originally posted by SMB View Post
                  I use here maps. They're very reliable and you can download the whole country for less than 1Gb to use offline so no mobile data.
                  X2
                  "here" is pretty impressive, you can even put a track name and usually they come up and will take you there
                  Back from the Dark side
                  NT VRX, Ironbark, Dobinson suspension, Kanati muddies 275 65 18, Boo's bash plates (now with dents )

Comment

• Pickle
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2007
                    • All over Oz

Got Sygic (paid) on another device though. Does the job, just thought there might be something out there just as good or better. I'll try the Here maps although the online reviews aren't that flash.
                    Dave
                    NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
                    Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• Hookie
                      • Dec 2015
                      • Coffs Harbour

Another vote for here maps. Garmin and Hema both use here for their street mapping, and it seems to know the offroad trails around here as well as my old man's HN7. And the price is tough to beat!
                      SOLD - 2004 Exceed Di-D, 2" Lovells-Lovells lift, Boo's sump/intercooler/transmission guards, 4 way breather, dual batteries, General Grabber AT2s, Tough Toys LED awning

Comment

• bennyb29
                        Valued Member
                        • Nov 2015
                        • Brisbane

Another vote for Here maps from me. I use this as well as Google maps for my navigation needs. Between, i've downloaded the map for Australia on Here maps, and always use it in offline mode, thereby reducing data usage.
                        Mitsubishi Pajero NT Platinum 2010

Comment

• Pickle
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2007
                          • All over Oz

Have installed Here maps and currently test driving it
                          So far happy and thanks to all for the tips.
                          Dave
                          NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
                          Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• cookie9
                            Valued Member
                            • Jul 2014
                            • Central Coast NSW

Sygic for me, have used nearly every other imaginable app and sygic is just so easy to use when on the road and it navigates extremely well. HERE maps has great maps but the interface was rubbish when I used it.

For offroad, its hard to go past Hema explorer.

cheers
                            2011 LS Auto Challenger, Ultimate 50mm suspension lift, Diff breathers, OEM towbar, Bushskinz.....

Comment

• Poita
                              Valued Member
                              • Sep 2010
                              • Adelaide

I use Navigon (by Garmin). Used it all through Europe, NZ and in WA, SA QLD, VIC and NSW. Never got us lost once, by far my most used app on my phone. Costs, but worth it in my opinion.

NW VRX MY2013
                              Jonny Tig FMIC, 3" Exhaust, RalliArt remap, Provent, FuelManager, CouplerTec rust protection, ARB bar, Runva winch, TJM Snorkel, Bilstein/Lovell/Airbags, full Bushskins kit, Asfir AC+fuel, Fyrlyt Nemesis 9000 spotties + LED headlights, Uniden UHF, RedArc TowPro Elite, BRC breathers, Honda sprayers, Automate lockup/paddles, Rhino platform/backbone

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X