X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RG76
    • Feb 2013
    • Sydney

No dramas Rich0, keen to get down and see the area myself.

Mt Ginini looks like a terrific spot to visit, might even get some snow on top if we're lucky.
    2015 MQ Triton GLS Manual, TJM XGS Suspension, TJM rear step/towbar, TJM Snorkel, Projecta Dual Battery, Bridgestone MT 674's...Eaton rear E-locker

Comment

• erad
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2015
      • Cooma NSW

I would love to join you, but my wife's health will not permit. You mentioned snow on the Brindabellas. I can assure you that right now, there is some. Yesterday we went Cooma to Canberra and there was snow on the hilltops either side of the road for most of the way. Probably won't last that long, but it is the start of a lot more.

Comment

• Buddha
        • Apr 2013
        • Canberra

Hi all, been watching this with interest as it is in my backyard, just not sure if I can make it as the young fella turns one that week so we may be a bit busy....

FYI Mt Ginini got about 20cm of snow this week with Canberra receiving 77mm of rain in some places over 24 hours or so... This means some of the tracks will be fun whilst others may be a real challenge (especially if we get more rain between now and May.)

If you get the chance have a look at Gentle Annie trail and also Mt Coree. Pabral Rd is closed at the moment but I am pretty sure you can still access the summit trail for Mt Coree.

Last time I was up there (about 5 months ago) it was mostly solid rocky trail with one large bog hole at the base of the mountain, no problem to navigate with a bit of care and commitment.

There is a nice (smallish) campground at the base of Mt Coree and Mcintyres Campground on the banks of the Goodradigbee is a great spot with great 4wd and walking trails leading of from the campground.

lastly keep an eye on the weather as sometimes Brindabella rd gets closed in snow conditions.

Great spot, love the Brindabella ranges. If it shapes up that I can make it in the next week or so I will check with all here if it is not too late by then, otherwise might have to catch the next one....

Cheers

Lynton

Comment

• RG76
          • Feb 2013
          • Sydney

Hi Buddha,

Thanks for the heads up regarding Pabral Rd, I knew part of it was closed but hopefully we can still get to Mt Coree.

I'll have a look at some of those other tracks you mentioned and will try to make a loop. Have you seen the powerline track? is it still open and what's the current condition? Cheers.
          2015 MQ Triton GLS Manual, TJM XGS Suspension, TJM rear step/towbar, TJM Snorkel, Projecta Dual Battery, Bridgestone MT 674's...Eaton rear E-locker

Comment

• Buddha
            • Apr 2013
            • Canberra

No problems at all. Access to the summit of Mt Coree should be fine if you take Brindabella rd up then turn right onto two sticks rd, the summit trail is a couple of k down on your right starting from just past the campground.

As I mentioned I haven't been out there in a while so not sure on powerline, I will ask a mate in a local 4wd club and let you know re condition etc as soon as i hear back...

Cheers
            Last edited by Buddha; 09-04-15, 09:29 PM.

Comment

• Buddha
              • Apr 2013
              • Canberra

So, I have just spoken with a mate who pointed me to the attached document re Powerline.

I spoke with The local rangers office who have advised that the closure relates only to the easement at the top of Powerline (that runs between two points on two sticks rd but that Powerline itself (running up to Two Sticks) will remain open and is in reasonable/drivable condition as of last week. Their main concern with the easement is that it has been misused in the past and there are some particularly sensitive environmental factors present.

They also mentioned that other tracks in the park including Gentle Annie, Webbs Ridge, Dingi Ridge, Waterfall and Coree Summit rail are open so it is looking like happy days.

Cheers

Lynton
              Attached Files

Comment

• RG76
                • Feb 2013
                • Sydney

Thanks Lynton

Comment

• swampy 6863
                  • Nov 2012
                  • parkes

Looks like it's shaping up to be a good trip. Already been checking out the tracks mentioned on the iPad. Now if I can just get the fridge working I'll be a happy camper.

Swampy

Comment

• Tombo89
                    • Feb 2013
                    • Sydney

Looking forward to it gents. I have the friday off work aswell so i was thinking about having a play around yalwal for the day and meeting up with everyone on the way down sat morning if anyone else is interested??
                    NOW : 2012 JKU WRANGLER

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN : 2012 PB Challenger LS Auto - M/T ATZ P3 285/70/17, Black factory alloys, Xrox sliders, Xrox bullbar, FYRLYT's, Aurora 30" lightbar, Runva 11xp winch, Ultimate suspension lift & brake upgrade, Airtec snorkel, Bushskinz, ORS drawers, Redarc DBS with solar, UHF, SPV EGR mod, Rhino pioneer platform, 3.15 reduction gears, Wholesale autos hd nomad valve body..

Comment

• RG76
                      • Feb 2013
                      • Sydney

Originally posted by Tombo89 View Post
                      Looking forward to it gents. I have the friday off work aswell so i was thinking about having a play around yalwal for the day and meeting up with everyone on the way down sat morning if anyone else is interested??
                      Mate, I'd love to join you but the handbrake has other ideas...

Comment

• Buddha
                        • Apr 2013
                        • Canberra

So if it is not to late to add to the group, it looks as if we will be able to make it. It will be good to get out bush and to meet a few people from the forum.

Me +1 (my wife) at this stage

Cheers

Lynton

Comment

• NFT5
                          Valued Member
                          • Apr 2011
                          • Canberra

At this stage I'm still in for this.
                          Chris

Comment

• RG76
                            • Feb 2013
                            • Sydney

No dramas mate, good to have more local knowledge.

I think we've hit our quota for attendance

At this rate I'll need to organise a second trip, if no one pulls out they'll be 10 cars in total

Comment

• Buddha
                              • Apr 2013
                              • Canberra

Thanks

Wow 10 cars, I am not sure we'll all fit on top of Mt Coree

Comment

• RG76
                                • Feb 2013
                                • Sydney

Gents,

Given that we have a few cars I have to push the meeting time forward a little. The meet time will be 7:30am at the Sutton Forest McDonalds heading south on the Hume Hwy. it's a good place for brekkie for the early starters and also fuel.

This should get us into Canberra for 9:30am where we pick up NFT5, Buddha and Tombo. There's a petrol station in Weston Creek and Curtin which is a good place to fuel up at before we hit he tracks. Maybe you Canberra guys can offer some advice on that?

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X