• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • P4J3R0
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2013
    • Brisbane

Originally posted by TC.Barky View Post
    Only issues I can come up with are that when a bullbar is fitted the panel below the headlights becomes very weak, there's not much that can be done about that I suppose but it flexes if you press on it. I imagine this is the same with all bullbars that are bumper replacements. There are also these gaping holes for a winch both at the top and where the fairlead would sit where I reckon a rock could potentially drop into and damage the rad/intercooler. OL are chasing this up for me at the moment (waiting to hear back) because they reckon there is some kind of blanking panel to cover the holes when not in use.

Not on my ARB bar. The panel mounts into the bar. ARB provide a full cover plate for the winch void.

Cheers
    NS Pajero, with stuff.

Comment

• TC.Barky
      Valued Member
      • Oct 2011
      • Melbourne

Originally posted by Slo78u View Post
      Not on my ARB bar. The panel mounts into the bar. ARB provide a full cover plate for the winch void.

Cheers
      OL do one but its 60 bucks apparently. Will just come up with something to cover it
      MY14 NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto Build Thread
      Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.

Comment

• Herman4x4
        Valued Member
        • Oct 2009
        • Melton, Victoria

Would be eady enough to knock one up out of some sheet.
        Cheers,
        Andrew.
        Cheers,
        Andrew.

2008 NS Diesel Auto - stock as a rock. Planning Tow bar, dual battery system, cargo barrier, bullbar, winch, lights, roof rack and suspension.
        Jayco Starcraft 17.58-3.

Comment

• karllovesmercedes
          • Apr 2013
          • N/A

Awesome looking truck Andrew!

Keen to see how it looks with some more mods on it!

Comment

• TC.Barky
            Valued Member
            • Oct 2011
            • Melbourne

Next round of mods has been installed!

The guys at OL Melton have been hard at it today and have fitted up my roof bars with the HD track mount system from Rhino. They've also fitted up my dual battery system and run some cabling to the back of the car ready for the fridge

The roof rack system is pretty straightforward, opted for the crossbars because it's cheaper than getting a rack and the only thing that will go up there is gonna be the roof top tent and maybe a spare tyre way down the track on bigger remote trips. I've immediately noticed the bars make a hell of a racket with nothing on them so I'll probably take them off and just fit them up whenever the tent is up there. Seems weird that they would make more noise than the 3 cheap ebay bars on my old car, wondering if the fact that they are spaced a bit further apart is making a difference.

Dual battery install is very neat. They've used a CTEK CTD250S DC-DC system. Starter battery has been moved to a new battery tray up against the firewall and an N70 Century deep cycle marine battery is in the factory tray. The controller is hidden away underneath the starter battery, probably would have preferred it up above on the firewall but this way it'll be easier to change the battery when required which is a good thing. (EDIT: This has since been moved to inside the car, see post #38) Just gonna hang onto the factory starter battery for now, will replace with something along the lines of an optima yellowtop when the time comes.

They've also run cable to the rear and installed some flush mounted aux power ports in the compartment on the passenger side. I like this because now I have a use for that storage compartment, I'll leave my spare 12V accessories in there (also a good spot to leave the fridge cable so I don't lose it!).

Last edited by TC.Barky; 28-11-14, 12:48 AM.
            Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.

Comment

• TC.Barky
              Valued Member
              • Oct 2011
              • Melbourne

Whilst partway through installing my UHF (see below) I've done another modification that I'm really excited about. I've managed to follow the instructions I found on this thread and have successfully blinded the traction control system to the operation of the rear locker. It's a bit daunting seeing just how many cables are in the various ECUs behind the dash and I initially started out trying to translate the wiring diagrams to verify I was going for the right ones. In the end I just went sod it and cut the ones that matched the colours people were talking about in the thread. Hey presto it worked! (Luckily!!!) Have verified the rear locker is still working by turning slow circles on a gravel carpark, now just need to test how the system behaves in practice.

Note in this image the rear diff lock is engaged but all the warning lights for the ABS and traction control system haven't come on. This should make the car nigh on unstoppable, almost as good as having a front locker.

Last edited by TC.Barky; 26-10-14, 07:25 PM.

Comment

• TC.Barky
                Valued Member
                • Oct 2011
                • Melbourne

UHF radio is in! I hung onto my radio from my last Paj as it's a beast. The Icom IC-400PRO is the best radio I've ever used but mounting it in the new car presented some challenges.

First of all, where the hell do you fit it. Conveniently the gen4 Pajero has a slot which is (more or less) a standard DIN slot size which is taken up by default by the near useless ticket holder thingo. Seemed like the logical choice, how hard could it be..... right?

So I got the DIN fitting kit from Icom (MB400 is the model number) and an antenna and set to work dismantling the dash. The antenna I got is the CDQ5000 from RFI. Have had RFI gear in the past and was very happy with the quality so was a no brainer for me to stick with this brand. Did a bit of research and bounced some ideas of Corker on here who was also looking at them at the same time and we both decided this particular antenna was the way to go. Quick disconnect feature is cool as it allows you to fit different masts that use the same connection and it also means the mast can be taken off when not using the UHF (visibility, security and keeping the vehicle height down). Has a waterproof cover that goes on when the mast is off. I ran the coax for the antenna through the vacant grommet that was used for the power FM antenna in the older models, thanks to the tips in this thread http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=38341.

Taking apart the dash was an interesting adventure. Few unfortunate scratches on the trim (my fault, using the wrong equipment to pull the trim off). Whatever happened to everything being held on with phillips head screws and being easily accessible. Dumb idea making it so you have to pull apart everything just to access two screws that are hidden behind it all. Took me about an hour to get it all apart, could probably do it in 10-20 now that I know what I'm doing. Goes back together very quickly. Threads I used were these, thanks to all who put this information up: http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...d.php?p=199692 http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ead.php?t=3946

So anyway, got it all apart and took the ticket holder out. As expected from prior reading it's basically just vacant space back there. Had a few goes at making brackets but I'm hopeless at fabbing things up (yes, even things this simple) so I ended up getting the job finished by someone who does this sort of fitting job all day. Important note, the slot is NOT a perfect DIN size, it is slightly bigger (either that or the icom kit is too small). This means there is a slight gap at the top. The bloke who fitted it just put a small cut of carpet up there to hide the gap, can't even notice unless you look closely. I also had him wire up my 4 port aux power unit to the back of the port while he was in there. Dash is now much cleaner.

Overall a great fit, very very pleased. Will be great not having to rely on handhelds for trips.

Now, pictures!

The mic holder is just held on with outdoor mounting tape. This is how I mount most things onto my dash, doesn't leave any residue and holds things firm. Found I had to change the tape on the mic holder maybe once a year in the last car as the constant stress of putting the mic on and off the hook eventually lifts it off slightly. 2 minute job so no issue there.

Comment

• Rovingman
                  Valued Member
                  • Jan 2014
                  • Blue mountains

Great looking truck TC.
                  Are you happy with the OL bar. Looking at getting a bar next year?
                  Pajero NT RX 2011
                  Dark tint: Driftadraws:bushskinz set:tough dog lift:50lt waeco:MSA drop down slide: optima 66AH blue top: oricom cb:GME antenna:120w solar:narva 170 lights:hayman reese brake controller:18/265/65 BFG's :roof basket & bag:SPV MK3.1:ARB compressor: Donaldson fuel filter:breathers:Redarc 40amp:century 120AH dual batt: Blue tongue offroad trekka camper trailer :2016 winch n bar Airtek snorkel
                  LIVING THE DREAM!! My Build http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=44476

Comment

• TC.Barky
                    Valued Member
                    • Oct 2011
                    • Melbourne

Originally posted by Rovingman View Post
                    Great looking truck TC.
                    Are you happy with the OL bar. Looking at getting a bar next year?
                    Cheers mate, yeah happy with the bar itself. The only issue I have is pretty much just the fact that the winch hole covers aren't included in the bar. Seems strong, looks good (imo) and plenty of room under there for a winch. I also prefer the antenna mounting points on this to the ARB bar, thought the ARB one had the mounting locations too close to the middle for my taste.

Comment

• Rovingman
                      Valued Member
                      • Jan 2014
                      • Blue mountains

Great cheers.
                      Uhf can be a pain for the passenger in the middle. I have mine left under the bonnet lip. Even on my arb bar on the rover.
                      Pajero NT RX 2011
                      Dark tint: Driftadraws:bushskinz set:tough dog lift:50lt waeco:MSA drop down slide: optima 66AH blue top: oricom cb:GME antenna:120w solar:narva 170 lights:hayman reese brake controller:18/265/65 BFG's :roof basket & bag:SPV MK3.1:ARB compressor: Donaldson fuel filter:breathers:Redarc 40amp:century 120AH dual batt: Blue tongue offroad trekka camper trailer :2016 winch n bar Airtek snorkel
                      LIVING THE DREAM!! My Build http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=44476

Comment

• TC.Barky
                        Valued Member
                        • Oct 2011
                        • Melbourne

Modifications are humming along nicely now. Next stage is done and it's now ready for it's first camping trip this weekend. Will be weird using plastic tubs again, got used to the drawer system in the old car. Methinks I need to get onto that! Anyway, roof top tent is now on (Simpson) as is the awning (2.5m ARB). Took it for a spin around the block, the mounts seem to be holding up well, will recheck and tighten as required tomorrow after work. Suspension (stock, for now) is coping with the extra weight remarkably well. Can barely notice it's up there! (well, until I see the impact it has on fuel usage anyway )

Apologies for the quality of the pictures, phone was compensating heavily for the low light with the exposure. Will take some better ones when I have time.

Comment

• Rovingman
                          Valued Member
                          • Jan 2014
                          • Blue mountains

Enjoy your trip very envious!!!
                          Pajero NT RX 2011

Comment

• gunsrunner
                            • May 2008
                            • Perth

Yep, looking good.
                            Don't stress, the Paj will handle the weight fine.
                            Worked out I had 1127kg( 3weeks x4) in it for our first trip, standard suspension. and still averaged 11.5l/100
                            Think I scrubbed the inside of the new 697's a little, rotation will fix it.
                            ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!
                            MY14 VRX 3.2D Auto|OL Premium post bar | Runva 11XP | Bushskinz Int/Sump | Rhino platform 42102B | 2.5x2.1 Oztrail | HD Parkside Hitch | Grande 17x8 | 697 A/T 265/65R17LT | Flexitank 140L | Primus 92L DZone | Rhino Luggage bag | Maxtrax | 10.1" tablet | Redarc SBI12, BCDC1240LV, TowPro | Century N70T | Fullriver DC105-12 | 120w Light bar | 7"HID 100w | CAT3 ERP | ARB CKMA12 | Alpine MRVT1000, MRVF540 | MBQuart DSC216 x 2 | Alpine SWR-1221 x2 | Enough cable, switches to run a city

Comment

• TC.Barky
                              Valued Member
                              • Oct 2011
                              • Melbourne

Originally posted by Rovingman View Post
                              Enjoy your trip very envious!!!
                              Cheers mate, only a quick jaunt up to Paradise Valley for the weekend but will be nice all the same. Haven't been camping for a few months, hate winter for that.

Originally posted by gunsrunner View Post
                              Yep, looking good.
                              Don't stress, the Paj will handle the weight fine.
                              Worked out I had 1127kg( 3weeks x4) in it for our first trip, standard suspension. and still averaged 11.5l/100
                              Think I scrubbed the inside of the new 697's a little, rotation will fix it.
                              ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!
                              Yeah I'm very impressed. The front dropped a little with the bullbar so if anything it's now sitting level. Handling in general seems very good, none of the vague wishy-washy steering or excessive body roll I experienced on the NL with the tent on. Still getting an upgrade of course, but it's eased my mind a bit as I was worried about how it would fare.

Comment

• TC.Barky
                                Valued Member
                                • Oct 2011
                                • Melbourne

Quick test run to make sure everything was sitting properly today and to air out the tent since it's been sitting without being opened for a few months. Chucked some bedding up in the tent ready to go as well. Very pleased with the setup. At some point I'd like to get an awning for the rear as well, not a pressing issue though as we've always managed without it in all kinds of weather.

All up tent and awning took probably about 10 minutes to setup including looking at it wondering where the side supports are (derp, folded away neatly in the awning cover of course). Will be able to get the time under 5 minutes easily with the missus helping as well I reckon which is fantastic, hate long setups after a big day on the road.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X