Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Techniques

Techniques Winching - Recoveries - Chainsaw Safety - Proper aproach to 4wding etc

Old 1 Week Ago
"2000"+ Valued Contributor

Send a message via MSN to sharkcaver Send a message via Skype™ to sharkcaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithyv View Post
More chance of losing the valve core I suppose if you take it out.
Also a valve body is not really designed for the core to be screwed in and out too many times I suppose.
Plus the more you mess with it the more likely it is to leak.

They are my thoughts..
Thanks Keith, this is exactly my point . Lots of supposition and not a single real world example.

The valve removal deflator keeps the valve captive, there is zero chance of losing it.
How many times is a valve stem designed to have a core removed/inserted?

Although I do agree, the more you play with something you run the risk of an unintended outcome. Real world practice in regards the deflator however provides evidence to the contrary.

People have a fear of sharks, spiders, why some even have a fear of people and public places. Like valve core deflators, the fear is real in the affected persons mind, but it is not so in the real world for most of us.

MY16 NX GLX5, Dobinson's HD springs + MRR shocks + Firestone airbags, 17" Toyo Opats, XXX bar, Dominator winch + IB500 relay, Full Bushskinz kit, Rhino track mount, 7" led spots, 23" light bar, SPV block, Ultragauge, Donaldson secondary filter, LRA 81L aux, 105AGM in rear + Projecta IDC25, 2 tier rear shelf + slide, ARB on board compressor, 2.5 x 3.0 awning

NX build

My Journeys
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcaver View Post
Lots of supposition and not a single real world example.
I gave a real world example of how those deflators don't lose valves or damage threads etc Shane.

I reckon I've used mine at least 20 times on the current set of tyres (so over 80 individual uses) and I've not had a single issue. On most trips there are several other people using them too, so my experience is several hundred deflations with zero negative outcomes.

PS. Just spoke to a mate and he has had one experience where the valve didn't screw back in properly (either cross threaded or something foreign in the thread) and it wouldn't seal 100%. He ultimately had to replace the whole valve stem assembly.
So, based on that, it is rare for things to go wrong but it can happen.

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Performance RV-5 17x8 rims with BFG KO2s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto

Last edited by Merts; 1 Week Ago at 02:20 PM. Reason: extra info
Old 1 Week Ago
Resident

After my frustration with inconsistent results from the Stauns I bought an ARB deflator for my NT. When dropping pressure a long way, it's not too bad, but the process makes smaller adjustments a moot point:
  • Screw on the deflator
  • Unscrew the valve core
  • Deflate / check etc.
  • Screw in the valve core
  • Unscrew the deflator.
You can release a lot of air the old-fashioned way while all that screwing and unscrewing is going on.

I did once forget to screw the valve core back in, which was easily noticed when it flew past on removal of the deflator. I was fortunate enough to be able to find it again, and it still holds pressure OK. I also witnessed somebody else make the same mistake, so I'm pleased to know I'm not the only one who has done it. But I do have spare cores, so I'm not too concerned about the risk of it happening again.

Is the valve designed to be screwed in and out so many times? Who knows? Metal machined thread on metal machined thread shouldn't wear out too quickly, particularly given the low level of load on the thread.

Cross-threaded? How? Look at the design of the core, the location of the thread and the long length of body that will align the core inside the valve stem. Anybody clumsy enough to cross-thread that shouldn't be allowed unsupervised use of anything resembling a tool.

I believe the biggest risk would be foreign material entering the thread, but how will that happen without the operator first dropping the deflator in sand / dirt / mud? If they're going to allow foreign material to enter the thread while using the deflator they are just as likely to blow foreign material into the valve from the end of their compressor hose.

Are they the ultimate solution for deflating tyres? Not at all. Would I advise people against them? Not at all. I still carry my Stauns, and might follow OJ's lead of setting them to a slightly higher pressure, and using them as an alternative where the situation warrants.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

I guess the beauty about the stauns is you can put them on and by the time you get to your destination they should nearly be down to pressure.
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merts View Post
… Just spoke to a mate and he has had one experience where the valve didn't screw back in properly (either cross threaded or something foreign in the thread) and it wouldn't seal 100%. He ultimately had to replace the whole valve stem assembly.
So, based on that, it is rare for things to go wrong but it can happen.
As I said in my previous post, this is the only negative aspect I was considering. I think the deflators I have are ARB and I’ve used them a few times without any problems – however, there is always the opportunity to cross-thread the valve. I seem to run into “Murphy” quite a bit and I wouldn’t like that to happen when I was far from home. Will I continue to use them, hell “yes” – I’ll just be doubly careful when screwing the valve back – and carry a few spares.

Cheers

Geoff
03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

If you stuff a valve core up it is easy to replace but stuff a valve stem up and you need to break the bead on one side of the tyre to pull the new valve stem trough the rim.
The old fashion "T" design Schrader valve tools are a must to carry as the have 3 different tools, valve core removal, valve core thread cleaner for inside the valve stem and an external valve stem thread cleaner which is also used when pulling a replacement valve stem through the rim.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT245/75/16, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj swb View Post

I did once forget to screw the valve core back in, which was easily noticed when it flew past on removal of the deflator. I was fortunate enough to be able to find it again, :
+1