• Adelaide

What it this ???????

Click image for larger version

Name:	airbox.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	998326

Hi All,

If the attached photo has uploaded correctly has anyone got any idea what this is. It is in the pipe the leads from the top of the air intake box.

Checked my mates 2010 NT and it doesn't have it.

Doesn't look original to me

Thanks
    2013 NW VRX White. TJM colour coded bull bar, 9" led spotties dual battery, c-tek dc-dc charger, factory side steps, Kings side awning, roof bars, Spare wheel lift mod,Boo bash plates, rear air bag suspension, GME uhf, Waeco 50l fridge, tows a MDC 2018 Cruize slide forward fold Camper trailer.

past---2007 NS 3.2 Diesel. New DPF, Manifold clean, Factory bull bar,
  • sharkcaver
    "2000"+ Valued Contributor
    • May 2009
    • Perth

Its a swirl valve. It supposedly helps diesel/air mixture combine for better combustion and less emissions. I have a snorkel on my NX and there is one in there, I suspect it is oem that was transferred across when the snorkel was fitted. Nothing to worry about.
    MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Adelaide steve
      • Oct 2014
      • Adelaide

I knew i'd get an answer fast. Gotta love this forum.

Thanks sharkcaver
      2013 NW VRX White. TJM colour coded bull bar, 9" led spotties dual battery, c-tek dc-dc charger, factory side steps, Kings side awning, roof bars, Spare wheel lift mod,Boo bash plates, rear air bag suspension, GME uhf, Waeco 50l fridge, tows a MDC 2018 Cruize slide forward fold Camper trailer.

past---2007 NS 3.2 Diesel. New DPF, Manifold clean, Factory bull bar,

Comment

• rykiel575
        • Sep 2017
        • Sydney

Looks to me like a vortex / venturi / economaxx / fuel saving type device.

I found one on my old NP which was fitted from the previous owner.

I chucked it in the bin.

Probably worth double checking what it is before you throw it out though.
        2012 NW Pajero GXL 3.2L

Comment

• Rnn_onmt
          • May 2017
          • Freo ish

Remember Hyclone? Good idea though and I believed the hype. From memory, it was tested to not work.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

• ofer24
            • Jul 2015
            • Israel

Hi,
            Unless your mixing something with the air such as water/methanol you should really remove it. All its doing is creating flow resistance and thus hindering flow into the turbo.
            That's my educated opinion in any case.

Comment

• Seigried
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2016
              • brisbane

Its the pre-air cleaner 11125a in the part diagram. There should be a rubber nipple 11167q that when opened lets you remove all the dirt/bull dust etc. It helps your air filter last longer. You usually find the on eartmovers etc. In the factory manual its an alternative part for petrol motors but standard on diesels.

Mine was clogged full of dirt on my ns when i got it.

The second pick shows the principle of how it works.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Comment

• Rnn_onmt
                • May 2017
                • Freo ish

Nice one

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

• Seigried
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2016
                  • brisbane

I just realised your photo shows it after the filter to the turbo. Oh well id keep the one before the filter.

Comment

• ofer24
                    • Jul 2015
                    • Israel

Originally posted by Seigried View Post
                    I just realised your photo shows it after the filter to the turbo. Oh well id keep the one before the filter.

Yup, that's what I also saw (after the filter and before the turbo). It doesn't look like an original part either... looks like someone laser cut a piece of steel or aluminium and bent the fins.

Comment

• bungalow
                      • Jul 2011
                      • Adelaide

Obst Design Fuel Saver

I just Googled "obst design" as you can see handwritten on the part in white paint, and here is what I found:

Touted to be a fuel saver.
                      2011 NT RX - Pirelli ATR 265/60R18; CSA 18" Stealth rims; MCC bullbar; MMA towbar; Redarc brake controller; Bilstein suspension - standard height; Rear helper airbags; Bushskinz intercooler and sump guards; Bushskinz side steps; Roley's rear bumper guard; Milford cargo barrier; Dual battery system with Redarc BCDC1220 charger and custom distribution box in rear with Xantrex battery monitor; Full MSA seat cover set; MSA seat back organisers; HID headlight upgrade; Cameron Canvas offroad camper

Comment

• erad
                        Valued Member
                        • Mar 2015
                        • Cooma NSW

Wow! What an invention! And I thought that the whole ruckus had died some years ago...

I have a similar device on the intake to my air filter. It is a swirl valve and I can assure you that it was there as an OEM fitment. I can only assume by its location and design that it is meant to induce turbulence and thus spread the incoming dust and crap over a wider part of the air filter. Frankly, putting it before the air filter is not going to have much effect on airflows after the filter.

Comment

• Muzza
                          Valued Member
                          • Jul 2007
                          • Nsw

Fitting a swirl valve of types before the filter will in dusty conditions seperate dirt from the air, keeping the filter clean, very common on agr equipment, fitting a swirl valve in the intake manifold will create better combustion on a non turbo, 2 valve old design IDI or DI engine, like a old hilux 2.4 diesel, old English diesels AEC, Leyland, had a design called a masked inlet valve to create swirl, it worked well up to around 1800 RPM after that it was just a restriction.
                          Muzza
                          2014 NW VRX , Alloy ECB bar, Poly air bags, EGR fixed. EDS scan gauge, lockup mate.
                          2003 NP DID GLS retired and gone to a good home
                          2007 21' Lotus spirit caravan

LH Torana

Comment

• Seigried
                            Valued Member
                            • Apr 2016
                            • brisbane

Erad
                            See post #7 the one prior to the filter is a pre filter dust separator for dusty conditions as also mentioned by others.

Comment

• Mike DiD
                              Valued Member
                              • Jun 2007

These Cyclonic Separators have been fitted to Diesel Pajeros for decades https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclonic_separation

If you squeeze the split valve at the bottom (11167Q in the diagram) you will be able to collect what it has separated out before the paper filter - usually fine dust, insects and leaves.
                              Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X