• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chch_pajero
    • Mar 2018
    • Christchurch

Gen 2 reliability issues with 33s???

Hi all, I am wanting to put 33s on my 93 4m40 LWB.

I have tried some on the truck already so i know they will fit fine. i have a minor lift. But my real question is am I opening myself to big reliability issues with putting that large of a tyre on an IFS truck? I really enjoyed the extra tyre when climbing over rocks. But I also use my Pajero for long distance touring and I don't want stuff (wheel bearings, CV joints etc) to be breaking all the time. I don't mind replacing things a little sooner but i am trying to avoid major failures while i am out in the middle of nowhere!

Thoughts?? It certainly looks good! ha ha.
  • stumagoo
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2014
    • Perth WA S.O.R

ran 32's for nearly 70000 kms have done 33's now for 10000 no problems - fuel usage is the same based on my daily commute to work (or once odo correction is accounted for). I personally know a chap who ran 35's on his 2.5 diesel gen 2 for a couple of years no issues with drive line. I also know plenty here have run 33's or 35's as well. Myself and my friend who ran the 35's are running 3" and 2.5" suspension lift as well with these tire selections I run no body lift but he has 2" body lift and 2.5 suspension to clear the 35's easily.

I would have no hesitation to say genuine mitsi gen 2 CV's etc should handle 33's with no issues

If you want an idea of the stuff we bounce our Pajero's over check out his Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnY...SiFEHhlh7yRVSg Ofcourse you will also see video's of us breaking stuff so its not completely unbreakable but I claim that is our driving not the wheel selection
    1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
    *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
    1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• NJV6
      Valued Member
      • Sep 2010
      • New Zealand

You will have no trouble with 33’s on a gen 2. I’ve had 33’s for nearly 100k with no ill effects.

Downside is only that they use more fuel and no longer as good in performance. I swapped to diesel diffs to get some gearing back but you already have the diffs I swapped to.
      1994 NJ SWB, 3.5 Manual, 285/75/16 Deegan 38s MT, 25mm body lift, Twin ARB air lockers, XD9000 winch, custom bar.
      1991 NH LWB, 3.9 V8, trayback, solid front axle, Toyota hi mount winch
      2011 NT GLX DiD, 3.2 Manual, 285/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, SPV EGR, Lovells SD rear, HD front, Bilsteins, Custom underbody protection, Safari Snorkel, JTig intercooler and loads of zip ties in the dash...

Comment

• nj swb
        Resident
        • Jun 2007
        • Adelaide

I put 285/75R16 (something like 32.8 x 11.2) on Shorty back in 2004. No problems in something like 100k km.
        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• chch_pajero
          • Mar 2018
          • Christchurch

Thanks for the responses! Sounds like 33s are the way forward for me!
          Cheers!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X