X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rhys Lawrie
    • Apr 2024

Tracks in SA?

hey i'm new to 4wdriving and cant go touring to Flinders etc. does anyone know of any tracks around Adelaide. in the hills is preferable. and could you let me know how difficult the track is. thanks heaps guys.
  • dryzoned
    • Aug 2009
    • Willunga, South Australia

we are always learning. :-)

try some sand driving on Goolwa beach out to the Murray mouth.
    or a steep descent and ascent to Deep Creek.

cheers.
    Cheers - David
    NS Exceed 2006 Auto, Petrol+LPG, UHF, rear polybags,M/T STZ's, My roof-rack, My cargo-storage, Thumper, ++ Avan Tayla; picasaweb.google.com/Dryzoned
    Replaced NH GLX Auto, Petrol of 15 years.
    My convoy name was beervan, but when it had all gone my callsign changed.... and has stayed that ever since.

Comment

• Nab
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2012
      • Perth

Try Peak, about an hour out of Tailem Bend. Was $10/car when I last went there 3 years ago, awesome sand hills on private property. Also allow camping and fires. Need to book in advance.

Not sure if Morgan quarry is still active, last I heard the council fenced it off. That had good rock climbs and ruts.
      SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
      NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• sub888
        • Oct 2012
        • Barossa Valley

SA= the fenced of state. Very few places to go unfortunately.

Peake is fantastic. Is now 15 per day includes camping for the night. Very hard to get a weekend as car clubs and bike clubs book it out well in advance. I have a couple of days booked in the school holidays if you or anyone else is interested pm me.

Morgan quarry has been closed for 12 months due some moron suing the council. You can still get access if you are in a 4wd club and I have a application in with council at the moment.

Last time I was down deep creek late last year the tracks down to the beach were closed. Not sure if they still are.

Places to go are pretty guarded for fear of them being closed in south Aussie.

Comment

• old Jack
          Regular
          • Jun 2011
          • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by Nab View Post
          Try Peak, about an hour out of Tailem Bend. Was $10/car when I last went there 3 years ago, awesome sand hills on private property. Also allow camping and fires. Need to book in advance.

Not sure if Morgan quarry is still active, last I heard the council fenced it off. That had good rock climbs and ruts.
          Peake is always booked out most weekend by 4wd clubs so you can not get in on weekends, you can get in mid week but would recommend that there are at least 2 or even better 3 4wds if going to Peake as it is easy to get yourself into serious trouble if you are a novice.

Morgan Quarry is open on a restricted basis through 4wd clubs only.

Saunders Gorge is a pay & drive on private tracks about an hour from Adelaide.

The Bridle Track is a free track near Port Pirie that runs through to Melrose.

Coorong, just south of Salt Creek, is Tea Tree and 42 mile crossing great fishing spot and some beach and dune tracks, another 2 hours south is Robe

A few of the Adelaide Forum guys are of to Moonta for a meet & greet 4wd day trip soon which is open to all forum members.

Best option is to look at joining a 4wd club if you are a novice, they offer training and someone to help when you get stuck.

cheers, old Jack.
          Last edited by old Jack; 06-04-13, 10:16 PM.
          2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
          MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Rhys Lawrie

thanks heaps guys. lots of help

Comment

• jamesl186
              • May 2011
              • adelaide

i also would like to know of some places in adelaide other then goolwa beach or pt gawler

Comment

• Calspec
                Valued Member
                • Sep 2007
                • SA

You could try enquiring through ForestrySA about access to the many Forest reserves in SA - I am sure there would be some great tracks in amongst them. Check the 4WDSA website as well.
                01 NM Exceed 3.5l Auto, SVI LPG, Pacemakers, Alloy Bar, IPF lights, GME TX3440, OME/King Suspension, 2" Lift, Toyo OCII 75's, 2500Kg Tow Hitch, Milford Cargo Barrier, ARB Fridge, ABR Dual Battery isolator, Rear storage drawers, Hema Navigator 7, JVC 7" In dash DVD, TJM Compressor, 2.5T Hand winch and all the bits that go with it, and a 17' Jayco Westport.

Comment

• MickSA
                  • Jun 2009
                  • Southern Suburbs of Adelaide S.A

Originally posted by sub888 View Post
                  SA= the fenced of state. Very few places to go unfortunately.

Peake is fantastic. Is now 15 per day includes camping for the night. Very hard to get a weekend as car clubs and bike clubs book it out well in advance. I have a couple of days booked in the school holidays if you or anyone else is interested pm me.

Morgan quarry has been closed for 12 months due some moron suing the council. You can still get access if you are in a 4wd club and I have a application in with council at the moment.

Last time I was down deep creek late last year the tracks down to the beach were closed. Not sure if they still are.

Places to go are pretty guarded for fear of them being closed in south Aussie.
                  I am a team leader with the friends of deep creek. The track down to the blowhole is rarely closed and is open nearly all year around. The only time i have struck it shut was when it needed to be graded. The road down to boat harbour is seasonal. It is normally closed from autumn to spring.
                  Cheers Mick 2012 NW GLX MANUAL

Comment

• sub888
                    • Oct 2012
                    • Barossa Valley

That's good to hear micksa. I believe it was a obnoxious weed that was the problem late last year. Hopefully they got it under control.
                    Glad the tracks down are open and not permanently closed.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X