Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 3 Pajero

Generation 3 Pajero NM - NP Models 2000 - 2006

Old 01-10-18
Valued Member

I remember reading somewhere some time ago the T is the 125kms output engine say in the NS and the U is the engine with 147kws as in the NT and onwards. In short its the same motor just different turbo.

It was some time ago and I'll be happy to be corrected

Previously
88 NF SWB 2.6 manual
92 NH LWB 3.0 auto
92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
95 NJ SWB 3.0 auto
99 Cruiser 4.5 manual with all the fruit
Old 02-10-18

Yeah right, okay... I keep hearing about the NS being a 4m41T so I'm going with the Dayco DT57e. Fingers crossed.
Cheers,
Old 02-10-18
Valued Member

That is the correct thermostat bud. The tech manual stats thermostat valve opening temperature is 76.5 +-2 so all good.

Just my thoughts for everyone. My NS takes around 10 to 12 minutes of normal driving for the temp gauge to show at normal temp. Warm air starts to come from the vents probably within a few mins. I think this is quite normal for a vehicle nowadays and am not concerned at all.

As others have said it takes time for the enginge to warm up and then show on the guage. Remember the temp gauge is showing the temp of coolant not the enginge itself. Takes a bit of time for the metal and oils to warm up and then the coolant to do its thing and remove the heat from around the block and all the passages etc.

Every vehicle I've had over 35 years is about the same in terms of warm up time.
Old 02-10-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussieintas View Post
That is the correct thermostat bud. The tech manual stats thermostat valve opening temperature is 76.5 +-2 so all good.

Just my thoughts for everyone. My NS takes around 10 to 12 minutes of normal driving for the temp gauge to show at normal temp. Warm air starts to come from the vents probably within a few mins. I think this is quite normal for a vehicle nowadays and am not concerned at all.

As others have said it takes time for the enginge to warm up and then show on the guage. Remember the temp gauge is showing the temp of coolant not the enginge itself. Takes a bit of time for the metal and oils to warm up and then the coolant to do its thing and remove the heat from around the block and all the passages etc.

Every vehicle I've had over 35 years is about the same in terms of warm up time.
Ayee, someone who knows four technicians and a mechanic
Could not give me that answer. Wrapped.
Sadly as an update the torque wrench was faulty and ended up snapping a bolt in the thermostat housing so again I'm in the sticky.
Thanks for the above, a good point about the coolant. I feel silly not thinking about that myself.
Cheers,
Ben
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotare View Post
I'm not sure what the connection is with the engine being turbo charged and taking longer to warm up.... In my opinion it's irrelevant.

The reason the diesel takes longer to warm up than an equivalent petrol engine is because the diesel block is one big lump of metal you're trying to heat up - hence it takes longer.
Also the fact that diesel is more efficient in putting power into motion rather than heat when compared to that of petrol. I canít remember exact figures, but I think petrol is something like 23% efficient and diesel 70% or there abouts. The rest is lost in heat. Basically this means a petrol engine will always warm up quicker than a diesel engine in the same conditions.

Cheers

Bennie
Old 1 Week Ago

You cant compare petrol & diesel warm up times,,,

My Paj Diesel also takes a good 10mins to get warm, my Toyota Hilux diesel is getting warm before I reach the end of the drive!
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

A lot depends on the ambient temperature at the time of startup. I live in a cold climate and in winter, it takes at least 20 km of driving at highway speed before the Scangauge tells me the cooling water temperature has reached 86 Deg C. Last week I was in Queensland and it was HOT - over 30 Deg C before we left our caravan, but it only took about 4 km before the temp reached 86 Deg C.
Old 1 Week Ago

Iíve just upgraded to a NM Pajero 4m41 from a Challenger 4m40 and can honestly say the 4m41 takes about 5-10 longer to worm up and my 4m40 is just the same as any other car which makes me wonder why as theyíre apparently the same block? Bigger water passages in 4m41 head to prevent previous generation head cracking issues? Better thermal efficiency with DID?